SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to KY Wildcat vs MO Tigers Football Game - Lexington KY - Need Info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to KY Wildcat vs MO Tigers Football Game - Lexington KY - Need Info Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Hi All,

30 years ago on 10/26 I proposed to my wife at a Missouri Tigers Homecoming football game.

As such we plan to drive from St. Louis MO to Lexington KY on 10/25 and attend the KY vs MO football game on 10/26. Game time was just recently announced as 6:00 pm.

We will be staying in Frankfort KY, visiting Buffalo Trace distillery, going to dinner at Bourbon on Main on Friday.

Per KY's website they offer public parking near the stadium. Where we need guidance is the football game...

1) What time should we head to the stadium to get a parking spot,
2) Do most people tailgate,
3) any other advice?

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ll have a good time. Frankfort is my hometown and lived in Lexington for 15 years before heading out.

Tailgating will be much better than the game. There’s plenty of “pay here” lots and people open their yards up for parking as well, closer to the stadium the more it costs. My advice is park off of Tate’s Creek (opposite side of the stadium from the Frankfort side) and walk to the stadium, it’s a 15-25 minute walk depending on how close you can get. It’s a safe walk as well, plenty of people make the trip and there’s police everywhere.

Good parking will go fast. If it’s a 6pm game, the hardcore fans will be tailgating from the morning on. The “norm” people will start to show up around noon. It’s a very friendly environment, you’ll be able to crash a tailgate or two with no problem.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Keeneland is running during the day. Hit the track bet the ponies eat some Burgos then shuttle to game

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Go MO! I attended many Tigers games (in Columbia). My Odessa, MO HS band marched at halftime festivities.

Congrats on 30 years of marriage!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I’ll mimic what MattW said.
I would add that you want to get East of Keeneland at least before 4:00 as it is closing weekend for them and traffic will suck over there.

Crestwood Christian Church is a good place to park.
1882 Bellefonte Dr
Lexington, KY 40503

$10 and literally a straight shot to the stadium. Make a right out of the lot and walk about a quarter to half mile on the neighborhood street and into the Arboretum that is directly across from the Stadium.
The Arboretum is a nice place to walk.

There is not much tailgating at the offsite lots so you’ll have to crash some tailgates at the main lot but that is to be expected.

I’ll keep my ear to the ground for a parking pass. Can’t make any promises but they pop up amongst some circles I run in from time to time but generally last minute.

I presume you have tickets to the game already?

Not sure your full plans but if you are doing lunch in Frankfort prior to heading to Lexington for the game on Saturday my go to places to eat in Frankfort for lunch are
Staxx BBQ and Sage Garden if I am in the mood for a healthier cuisine.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite.
It may be too late as they fill up quickly but if you can get a Ghost or Hard Had four they are worth it.

Unfortunately I work that Saturday or I would take y’all to lunch.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I’ll mimic what MattW said.
I would add that you want to get East of Keeneland at least before 4:00 as it is closing weekend for them and traffic will suck over there.

Crestwood Christian Church is a good place to park.
1882 Bellefonte Dr
Lexington, KY 40503

$10 and literally a straight shot to the stadium. Make a right out of the lot and walk about a quarter to half mile on the neighborhood street and into the Arboretum that is directly across from the Stadium.
The Arboretum is a nice place to walk.

There is not much tailgating at the offsite lots so you’ll have to crash some tailgates at the main lot but that is to be expected.

I’ll keep my ear to the ground for a parking pass. Can’t make any promises but they pop up amongst some circles I run in from time to time but generally last minute.

I presume you have tickets to the game already?

Not sure your full plans but if you are doing lunch in Frankfort prior to heading to Lexington for the game on Saturday my go to places to eat in Frankfort for lunch are
Staxx BBQ and Sage Garden if I am in the mood for a healthier cuisine.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite.
It may be too late as they fill up quickly but if you can get a Ghost or Hard Had four they are worth it.

Unfortunately I work that Saturday or I would take y’all to lunch.

Thanks! We do have tickets to the game and are just worried about the parking/tailgating/etc.

Now add to the long range forecast has 40% chance of rain.

My wife won't be into tailgating for 5 hours so if we park at the church, is there public transport or should we just uber to other points of interest in Lexington? What would you see as a newbie to blow some time before crashing some tailgates.

Lastly thanks for the lunch offer and sorry to hear your working that day!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Public Transit around here is Meh.
So I would use Lyft or Uber for the sights. What were you all wanting to do prior to the game.
You can easily walk to and from the game if parking at the church.
Take a little pocket flashlight for the walk back since it is a late game.

Still keeping my eyes peeled for a parking pass.

————————————————

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra info and keeping an eye open for a parking pass!

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Special thank you to Black92LX for his help and guidance during our trip to KY.

We have a great time!

posted Hide Post
h20ys, or Black.

Any suggested activities to do in Lexington over Thanksgiving weekend?

We're going to be there then. Looks like Keeneland is done racing by then, and we're leaving on Saturday when they have the tours so that's out. I'll probably try to go to Buffalo Trace, and we're planning to take the kids to the Kids Museum.

Any restaurants that you'd recommend that are kid friendly and open on Thanksgiving would be a plus. We are meeting my wife's sister's family there as its halfway between so we'll be in a hotel so no traditional Thanksgiving this year.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Special thank you to Black92LX for his help and guidance during our trip to KY.

We have a great time!

Wish I could have done you a solid on a parking pass. One popped up at 4:30 because of the rain and I was still working so I would not have been able to get it to you.

quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
h20ys, or Black.

Any suggested activities to do in Lexington over Thanksgiving weekend?

We're going to be there then. Looks like Keeneland is done racing by then, and we're leaving on Saturday when they have the tours so that's out. I'll probably try to go to Buffalo Trace, and we're planning to take the kids to the Kids Museum.

Any restaurants that you'd recommend that are kid friendly and open on Thanksgiving would be a plus. We are meeting my wife's sister's family there as its halfway between so we'll be in a hotel so no traditional Thanksgiving this year.

Buffalo Trace is by far my favorite. See if you can schedule the ghost or hard hat tour they are well worth it but may already be booked up.

As for the Imaginarium (Children’s Museum) I really hate to say it but don’t bother sadly it is terrible. It is publicly funded (very sparsely) it is old, outdated, most things are broken. It is a shame.

The Kentucky Science Center in Louisville on the other hand is worth the drive.
https://kysciencecenter.org/

It is really good. I’ll poke around to see what is open on Thanksgiving.
Cracker Barrel and Denny’s are usually it as most places shut down. I know a few places are open but not sure who.
I’ll dig around a bit.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

We may do the children's museum anyways as we get free admission due to reciprocity with our membership for the one here in Michigan.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry Clay House is a nice tour, and the kids love the Horse Park, a short drive from Lexington.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Henry Clay House is a nice tour, and the kids love the Horse Park, a short drive from Lexington.

Friday the 29th is the opening night for Southern Lights at the Horse Park.
It is always enjoyable
https://kyhorsepark.com/events...hts-holiday-festival

————————————————

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
The Buffalo Trace tour was fantastic. Even my wife really enjoyed the tour.

Another great tour we did was at West 6th microbrewery. The owners bought a huge building and have a microbrewery, low key seafood restaurant, hydroponics and tilapia growing area, a bicycle refurbishment/resale shop, roller derby, etc. all under the same roof.

I don't know if they would be open on Thanksgiving but give West 6th a try as well as a bar/restaurant Bourbon on Main.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
The Buffalo Trace tour was fantastic. Even my wife really enjoyed the tour.

Another great tour we did was at West 6th microbrewery. The owners bought a huge building and have a microbrewery, low key seafood restaurant, hydroponics and tilapia growing area, a bicycle refurbishment/resale shop, roller derby, etc. all under the same roof.

I don't know if they would be open on Thanksgiving but give West 6th a try as well as a bar/restaurant Bourbon on Main.

It was the old Rainbo Bread Factory.

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It was the old Rainbo Bread Factory.

I toured that Bread Factory in Grade School

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post