SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm picking up my new John Deere X350 tomorrow. Does anyone else have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm picking up my new John Deere X350 tomorrow. Does anyone else have one? Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted
I've got just under an acre with a gentle slope to both front and back yards. I was hoping to get something a little beefier than the K46 transmission, but I can't really afford it. It does have a solid frame/mowing deck and the 18.5HP Kawasaki FS600V twin.

Anybody else have one of these? What do you think of it?

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
She forgot about my old John Deere.................

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZTdRaXtmA

can't wait to see you moving mega snow

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
check the top of page 3 of this thread as I posted the first 3 pages of the top rated lawn tractors per Consumer Reports.

Since you already picked the x350 it looks like you are buying their top choice rated at 90/100 points.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6570039444/p/3

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
check the top of page 3 of this thread as I posted the first 3 pages of the top rated lawn tractors per Consumer Reports.

Since you already picked the x350 it looks like you are buying their top choice rated at 90/100 points.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6570039444/p/3

Thanks for pointing me to that. I actually saw it after I posted....That is an old thread!

I purchased this tractor without doing the normal amount of research that I would normally put into it. So far what I am seeing is generally pretty positive. It looks like the tranny is the weak point if anything is. I have had two older wheel horses die on me this spring along with two line trimmers. I 'm so tired of things breaking and of having to make repairs that I kind of went off in a huff and pulled the trigger on this thing pretty quickly.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the X304 for going on 10 years.

Use it twice a week in the summer and have a plow blade to push snow in the winter.

It has always started except for a dead battery once.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I got mine this year. Just did the 8 hour oil change (easy). I love it so far. The only criticism I have is it loses traction on slopes pretty easily. The parking brake is useless on a slope. On a positive note, when I accidentally hit forward instead of reverse, and went down a steep slope, it somehow stayed up. I literally thought I was gonna die as I went down the hill but it didn't tip.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I got mine this year. Just did the 8 hour oil change (easy). I love it so far. The only criticism I have is it loses traction on slopes pretty easily. The parking brake is useless on a slope. On a positive note, when I accidentally hit forward instead of reverse, and went down a steep slope, it somehow stayed up. I literally thought I was gonna die as I went down the hill but it didn't tip.

The traction thing isn't something I have heard anyone mention yet. I think I'll be okay there as I don't think any of my slopes are going to have an impact. The only thing I have is one major concrete base hill to climb to get back up to the garage. My neighbors box store Husqvarna handles it just fine so I should be good. The oil changes look like they are super easy. I've heard some say to do it after 8 to 10 hours and others say don't worry about that initial break-in oil change. Did your dealer recommend that?

posted Hide Post
I have one. I have the 42 inch Accel deep deck (have lots of trees). When the mower is engaged it’s as loud as a jet and throws grass about 20 feet! It broke a belt prematurely (way less than a year old). The service guy that replaced it (not under warranty of course!!!) said I had a set of “aggressive blades” and when I wore these out I could get blades that would tone down the mower some. Otherwise no issues.
Don’t have any steep slopes, so can’t speak to the traction question. And yes, the oil changes are super easy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gocatgo,

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yes the dealer and manual say to do an 8 hour oil change. Oil was clean. But it’s only 2 quarts and an $8 filter. Took maybe 15 minutes. Most of that time was waiting for the last drops To drain. Only issue I had was my mower deck (also accell deep deck 42) was just below the drain plug. So I had to find a small bucket to fit under. Filter change by hand.

I do have many slopes living on a small mountain. Not something most have to deal with.

The first pic here is where I lost traction, close to the hill where I stopped mowing. It's also the hill I went down very fast by mistake, into the neighbor's yard.

This pic is my back yard, where I have almost no problem. It does have to work going up. You can see to the right where I can't mow because it's just too steep. Doesn't look all that steep but when I'm sitting on the tractor it's much steeper feeling.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had an X310 which has power steering, K58, Kawasaki 18.5 hp engine, and 42" deck. Used it for about 4 seasons then gave it to my son to replace his 15 year old cheaper $1,900 JD with the K46 (D102 or something like that). Good thing as the K46 gave up on the subsequent owner.

I loved the little X310. I did change the engine oil after a few hours then every Fall, the hydro oil and filter when called for which the first change was maybe 25 hours. That's one advantage of this transmission, it can be changed so make sure you do so. In hind site I would have gotten one with the wider 48" deck like yours which would let it trim closer.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has an X3??, I can’t remember the exact model, but it has the 4 wheel steering. He mows about an acre, with a couple pretty long slopes, I wouldn’t call them hills. He’s had it for at least 8 years, and hasn’t had any problems with it.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our X500 is 12 years old. 258 hours on the meter. It is over built for what we ask of it. Keep it greased where zirt fittings are installed, and the fluids clean, it'll make you happy for years to come. Do not break the engine cowling, as it is expensive. Don't ask how I know.

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Some get a drain plug for the trans from the manufacturer and make it a maintenance item. Supposed to be good mowers.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do. Very happy with it. I have 3 acres, probably 2 acres of it in native prairie grass, and it’s rolling rather than flat. I think I posted in another thread, I wait until the 1st of July to mow so as not to disturb ground nesting birds: meadowlarks, horned larks, nighthawks, native sparrows. When I finally mow, cool season grasses are headed out and running 18” - 2’ tall. That x350 plows through that tall grass like it’s merely a lawn. You made a good choice, in my estimation.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Beefier than the K46? I know there are beefier, but the K46 will serve you well.

I had an JD LT150 with a K46. Bought it in 2003. Used it on an acre of land with hills until the deck simply got eaten up. Ended up giving it, deckless, to my brother in law who found a used deck and put tire chains on it and uses it to pull logs and a small trailer of oak firewood. It is way overused and that transmission has not skipped a beat. Everytime I see it is expect it to be dead but it keeps on running.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a x340,

since about 08 or 09,

other than blade sharpening, and a dead battery no mechanical issues,

the hood did crack , just a small 4" or so, otherwise, no worries

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I am definitely encouraged. I brought it home today and mowed with it, and my initial impression is that is going to work great for what I’ve got. I may go ahead spring for the brush guard!