SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police in Indiana shoot at actor portraying bank robber UPDATED W/VIDEO Oct 4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police in Indiana shoot at actor portraying bank robber UPDATED W/VIDEO Oct 4 Login/Join 
posted
Advice to budding Steven Speilbergs: NOTIFY THE POLICE FIRST!!!

http://fox59.com/2017/09/27/cr...ery-scene-for-movie/

Crawfordsville officer fires shot at actor filming robbery scene for movie

POSTED 3:12 PM, SEPTEMBER 27, 2017, BY FOX59 WEB AND NICK MCGILL, UPDATED AT 05:31PM, SEPTEMBER 27, 2017

CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. – A movie set turned all too real for a Crawfordsville actor when an officer fired a shot at him while filming a scene for a movie on Tuesday.

According to Indiana State Police, the Crawfordsville Police Department responded to a 911 call of an apparent armed robbery in progress at Backstep Brewery on North Green Street. The caller told dispatch a man entered the bar wearing a ski mask and holding a gun.

When officers arrived, they saw a man exit the bar with a mask on, still holding a gun. The man was actually actor Jim Duff shooting a scene for a movie.

“He was the only person that backed out, the only one that came out and he was in a ski mask and holding a weapon. Whether it’s real or not, you don’t know that at the time,” ISP Sgt. Kim Riley said.

The officers say they told Duff to drop the gun, and he allegedly turned towards the officers. “When you’re told to do something, the one thing you don’t do is turn towards police while you’re holding a gun,” Riley said.

The officers said they felt their lives were in danger and fired at Duff. He dropped the gun and pulled off the mask while telling the officers, “This is a movie set. “

An investigation by Indiana State Police revealed that Montgomery County Movies production was shooting a scene at the brewing company.

No one was injured in the ordeal, and the film crew and other actors were inside at the time of the confrontation. “We could not see the police, so when the actor left the building we had no knowledge any police had even arrived at the scene,” said Montgomery County Movies owner Philip Demoret.

“The bad part is all the cameras and everything were inside the bar. So there was nothing outside telling people that this was a film set,” Riley said.

Police said neither the production company nor the bar owners notified police or local businesses about the film shoot. The gun the subject was holding was a movie prop. Actor Jim Duff was placed into custody until the story could be authenticated, and then he was released.

Demoret says he’s grateful no one got hurt, “We’re actually going to work with the Crawfordsville Police Department to make sure this does not happen again.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Completely irresponsible but I can definitely see how this can happen within a large operation where everyone has their own job and no one thought to make sure that police was informed, and assumed that it was done...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What kind of low budget film was this? I don't care if all of the cameras and crew were inside the bar - when I've seen movies being filmed in and around me (plenty of them in Baltimore and House of Cards inside my office a few years ago), there have been no shortage of trucks lined up for blocks. Large trucks. Equipment, generators, wardrobe & makeup, craft services, etc. You can't hide that crap.

Must have been a student film.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"No one was injured in the ordeal"

Lucky for the "actor"......on the other hand....get some range time guys.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
What kind of low budget film was this?

Agreed. I assume damn near YouTube quality filming. It's amazing how much crap come in entourage with a large film production.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Duff Beer?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of low budget film was this? I don't care if all of the cameras and crew were inside the bar - when I've seen movies being filmed in and around me (plenty of them in Baltimore and House of Cards inside my office a few years ago), there have been no shortage of trucks lined up for blocks. Large trucks. Equipment, generators, wardrobe & makeup, craft services, etc. You can't hide that crap.

-Rob

This. I see it in NYC all the time. Also, wouldn't you have a lookout outside the location to make sure someone doesn't walk in on you and spoil the shot?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Completely irresponsible but I can definitely see how this can happen within a large operation where everyone has their own job and no one thought to make sure that police was informed, and assumed that it was done...

This.

Also notify the neighbors so this doesn't happen:
quote:
Crawfordsville Police Department responded to a 911 call

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Something similar happened here years ago minus the "actors" getting shot at. Students from a local college were filming some sort of hostage scene on the catwalk of a bridge that crossed over a busy shopping area.

It was only two or three "actors" and one guy with a camera up on the walkway with them.

I'm pretty sure the large production companies are required to obtain permits. Others are supposed to notify the police ahead of time if anything they are doing could be confused with an actual crime.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So, who in the production crew for that movie thought it was a good idea to NOT notify the local police when shooting a robbery scene with firearms?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. One of the regular sets they used for taping Grimm is in a building a block or two from my office. All the taping was done inside the building, but every time they were working there the street was full of trucks, cables, and whatnot. Sometimes they closed off the whole street for a day.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
"No one was injured in the ordeal"

Lucky for the "actor"......on the other hand....get some range time guys.

Except for the actor's underwear....Wink

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
The first words should have been "Police, stop, don't move and drop the gun". I was not there but the caution is definitely missing from the article.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Glad no one was hurt. I have been to this town. Kind of like Mayberry. Barney was on duty while Sheriff Andy was at Aunt Beas eating biscuits.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Interesting version according to the movie company.

"Montgomery County Movies would first of all like to thank the Crawfordsville Police Department for their Hasty response to what they thought was a crime."

"Movie officials did not physically see what transpired outside the location, except for what was visible through the glass doors entering the establishment.

During the scene, a masked robber was suppose to flee the place after being intimidated by the patrons inside. Once outside,
quote:
from what witnesses could hear and see, the actor complied with the police, removed his mask, and a gunshot was fired."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...ible-gun-owners-day/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
Lucky for the doofus the policeman was a bad shot. "Drop the gun" means "DROP THE GUN".

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
The first words should have been "Police, stop, don't move and drop the gun". I was not there but the caution is definitely missing from the article.

"The officers say they told Duff to drop the gun,"

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Police said neither the production company nor the bar owners notified police or local businesses about the film shoot

Major Failure!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low budget, filmed with a cell phone.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
But Duff didn't know it was officers, he had his back to them.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post