SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Achieved a health goal this week!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Achieved a health goal this week! Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’ve been getting treatment for degraded miniscus (both of them) since about March. This has developed into significant weight lifting 3 times a week as a support of my PT plan by the doc and by my desire to lose weight, again.

Well, I settled into a full body compound move routine that was supposed to be squats, strict overhead press, flat bench press, and deadlifts. I discovered right away that weighted squats, even with a naked bar, were not possible. Instant sharp pain upon descent.

So I’ve been using the sled style leg press instead of the squat. However, the last 2 weeks have been pretty much pain free so I decided to try a squat again so I loaded up a bar to 135 very gingerly gave it a whirl. No pain at all and I easily did a full set of 10 deep squats (calf to hammy). Bring the inquisitive type I spent the next 20 minutes slowly adding weight.

I called it a night after successfully doing 1 rep with 315 pounds. Not too shabby for never really squatting heavy! I’m pretty excited to work them back into the workouts, slowly.

Monday is my PR day every week. My current numbers are:

Leg press: 1008 (3 reps, then 2 more reps... still looking for 1 rep max)
Strict OH Press: 175 x 1
Bench: 275 x 1
Deadlift: 455 x 1
Squat (stoked to add this line): 315 x 1

My goal since I started lifting at the end of April was the 2, 3, 4, 5 Plate goal for the big 4. So, 225 for the OH press, 315 bench, 405 squat, and 495 dead. I figured my squat would be lagging behind the other moves since I haven’t been doing it, but it seems the heavy leg presses have been working. I’m more than 75% of the way to each of them.

Cheers!

Oh, down 40lbs on the scale in the same timeframe too.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats !!!

Don't forget to throw in some thorough post-workout stretching after leg days !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I don't understand your notations. Are you seriously leg pressing over 1000 pounds with jacked up knees?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Perhaps I don't understand your notations. Are you seriously leg pressing over 1000 pounds with jacked up knees?

Yea. A sled leg press is MUCH easier than a squat of the same weight, so it’s not near as “impressive” at first. The knee issue is aggravated by specific movements with specific loading “angles”. Not sure how best to describe it but it’s all very much sanctioned and approved by physical therapist.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Bumped all numbers up today, except squat. Left that alone at 315.

Leg press: 1100
OH Press: 180
Deadlift: 460
Bench: 285

It was a good day.