Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Old 280Z Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
A bit dusty, but looking like I remember. Going to be busy with a new project this summer and glad to have a classic sports car again. 1977 with Zx wheels I believe.

Actually damn excited - I've known this car for over 30 years. One of my closest friends-who I grew up with-recently had his father pass. His dad was a Vietnam vet who flew F4s, including Igloo White missions. He was part of a Bonanza club and the two of us spent a lot time in the right seat over the years. His dad wrapped up active duty as a flight instructor at Homestead. I seem to recall many of his squadron buddies had Datsuns, including one guy who was flying SR71s with a cool 240z. We both loved his dad's 280, but never drove it. Would see it over the years and he always kept it up.

When he passed, his daughter took the Z. Fast forward to a few weekends ago and we fly up to Sun n Fun flying in my friend's new 1968 Cherokee 180 along with his sister's husband (PIC - buddy is still building hours and made the smart choice). At airshow and having fun getting them both to spend money on new aviation toys...over a beer ask whatever happened with Z? Brother in law asks if I want it? We talk a bit and willing to pass along to me and "keep it in the family" for what $$ they have in it. They both knew they can make double or more his money selling to someone else. I tell him to do it (not up for that much $$), but they (and sister) decide they'd rather I have the car.

So earlier this week paid a car transport company for a Monday pickup, fedexed the check and bill of sale. Excited - first time I'm seeing the car since 2004, like a Time capsule. Forgot how original it was - dirty but no rust and paint is mostly like new. When it gets here need to decide what to do? Keep it original and make it like new...or upgrade suspension, brakes, etc. - maybe even change EFI to carb (dual SU). Whatever I choose will be fun Smile. Will post more pics - buddy is cleaning off the Texas dust and will send when clean.

I had no intention of getting a car, but two weeks later guess I'm a new owner. Life is funny in a good way.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember considering buying one (new) in 1983, and it would have been a far better choice than the POS I ended up getting.

Yours looks as nice now as the new one on the dealership floor did. Congratulations!

BTW, I vote for a restoration. There were plenty of modded z's over the years, and it would be nice (and probably more valuable) if you keep it stock.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I love those....my youngest aunt had a beater 260Z for a while when I was a kid and I drooled over that car.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would either learn to tune the SU carbs (not hard) or replace them with Weber DGV. No reason to convert to EFI at all.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I would either learn to tune the SU carbs (not hard) or replace them with Weber DGV. No reason to convert to EFI at all.

The 280 is fuel injected. He wants to go the other way, injected to carbed. If it were mine I wouldn't do it.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Another vote for keeping it stock. Carbs aren't hard to work on, and the feel of a well tuned old school motor is a thing of beauty.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

The 280 is fuel injected. He wants to go the other way, injected to carbed. If it were mine I wouldn't do it.

The 280's first year was '75 with '76 the first with fuel injection, so unless the engine was changed, it is definitely injected. No way would I change it to carbs were it mine. Way too much trouble and for no gain.

Those are 1982-83 ZX 14" wheels for certain.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is a nice looking Z.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Love those things, almost bought a Bob Sharp prepared 240z way back but couldn't swing it at the end, then dated a girl with a 280z, a lot of fun driving that car..Good luck with it.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I know SU carbs quite well, rebuilt and ran a couple of MGBs. Last one was a 1971 that I overboree, installed lotus dome top pistons, heavier cam, and ported / polished.

Advantage of carbs is you can tune for more power, put in a cam, etc. with EFI no CAM and head work won't buy you much - ne d to go aftermarket EFI like Megasquirt. BUT if this turns out as original and nice as I thought it was I'll probably go through and keep stock and just make the as is perfect. Will get the car here and on the lift and go through then decide. 100% it will get some Rota RB or Koenig rewinds, strut and shock updates + springs.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post