SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner 0.75, Robbers 0, almost a happy ending
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner 0.75, Robbers 0, almost a happy ending Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
First I find myself rooting for candidate Donald Trump (and I am damned glad I was wrong in not supporting him from the gitgo).
Then I find myself rooting for the Russians fighting ISIS in Syria.
Now I find myself rooting for MRSA.

quote:
Robber was holding his wife at gunpoint — so husband aimed for his head, Texas cops say

By Matthew Martinez

July 18, 2018 07:14 AM

A man heard a commotion outside his southeast Houston home Tuesday at around 10:30 p.m., police say.

His wife had just pulled up to their home, according to KRIV. Two men attacked her as she walked up to their home, the station reported.

One went for her purse, while the other tried to force her inside the home in the 4300 block of South Acres Drive, KPRC reported. He held a gun to the woman’s head while they advanced toward the house.

Neither of the alleged thieves knew, though, that the woman’s husband was also inside.

When he peered out one of the home’s windows, KTRK reported, he saw two men with guns, so he grabbed his own pistol before going outside and confronting the attackers.

He exchanged fire with the two men, forcing one of them to run, the station reported. But the one who stayed in the gunfight was holding his wife at gunpoint.

So police say the husband aimed for his head.

Neither the husband nor the wife who were attacked have been identified by authorities.

The husband shot the man who held his wife once in the head, injuring the man critically, but not killing him, according to KHOU. Police found the attacker lying in the couple’s driveway.

The alleged attacker has not been identified by police, either.

He remained in a local hospital Wednesday morning after having emergency surgery late Tuesday night, KHOU reported. Police are still looking for the attacker who fled the scene.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31429 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Almost a happy ending? Was the wife injured?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good shot, and good shoot.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That's what we call a "mobility kill" in military parlance. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Some people need a hole in the head. Some need two.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
At the Police Academy where I teach, we train for situations like this, both through live fire on steel/paper, as well as with simulated video-game-style live action laser setups.

Many officers, especially new ones, struggle with scenarios like this, both with knowing when to take the shot as well as being accurate enough in the midst of a stressful situation to take the shot successfully.

I'm glad to see that this husband was able recognize his opportunity and take it.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Almost a happy ending? Was the wife injured?

May be a reference to Perp 1 surviving, Perp 2 escaping?

Personally, if I were in that situation and both my wife and I wound up unharmed, I'd be "Homeowner: 6,000 | Robbers: who-cares"

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was the wife injured?
This happened in Houston, and local ABC says, " The homeowner and his wife are okay."

ABC also added that the wife is pregnant.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even for a civilian, a head shot at a hostage taker is not at all improbable.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
At the Police Academy where I teach, we train for situations like this, both through live fire on steel/paper, as well as with simulated video-game-style live action laser setups.

Many officers, especially new ones, struggle with scenarios like this, both with knowing when to take the shot as well as being accurate enough in the midst of a stressful situation to take the shot successfully.

I have shot at hostage targets similar to this one …

… with little of the head exposed, and often at least nick the "hostage's" head, and this is just on the range with no pressure. I hope, if it ever happens, that the bad guy will leave me an easier target.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
No idea in real life (Thank God!), but what makes the shot easier on the range is forgetting the hostage and just focusing on your sights and exactly where you want to hit the hostage taker.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I told my wife that if we were ever in this situation to move her head to the side a little bit.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Hubby needs to get replace that .32 or whatever with something that has a little more oomph.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I told my wife that if we were ever in this situation to move her head to the side a little bit.

Did you tell her which side you would be aiming for? Just checking. Wink

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Was the wife injured?
This happened in Houston, and local ABC says, " The homeowner and his wife are okay."

ABC also added that the wife is pregnant.

After something like this, no one is OK.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Hubby needs to get replace that .32 or whatever with something that has a little more oomph.

Just because the bad guy survived doesn't necessarily mean the husband was using a "sub-par" caliber.

The human body can be amazingly resilient, and bullets do weird things sometimes.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have all seen this in the movies many times but, damn. Next time I am at a gun show I need to look for a target like the one above.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
There is a firearms instructor from Kentucky who happened to start this hashtag a couple of years ago... Wink

#headshotsmatter

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Just because the bad guy survived doesn't necessarily mean the husband was using a "sub-par" caliber.

The human body can be amazingly resilient, and bullets do weird things sometimes.
All headshots aren’t Equal. Aim for the t-box:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We have all seen this in the movies many times but, damn. Next time I am at a gun show I need to look for a target like the one above.

You can make your own with regular paper/cardboard targets too.

And there are various steel hostage targets as well. Our Academy uses one similar to the below photo. The main portion can be used like a normal steel target, or designate it as a "hostage" and just shoot at the red popper (which swings to either side when hit) as the "bad guy's head".