SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I passed through LAX Thursday with cereal, jelly beans, chocolate, famous Amos cookies, licorice, M&Ms, and fresh tortillas.

No problems.

However I did leave my laptop behind and didn't realize until I landed. Fortunately my coworker retrieved it today.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
You cannot bring nuts on an international flight (Legumes) due to them possibly carrying something. I've never seen anyone enforce it.
Nonsense. You can bring as many nuts and as many types of nuts as you want onto an international flight.

You're​ just not supposed to carry them through your port of entry.
Onto the flight yes, but many countries ban you from bringing in foreign meats, produce, nuts and other food items from your country into their country. So you better consume all of them before entering customs with them in the foriegn country you land in.
Isn't that exactly what I just said said?
quote:
R. Heinlein:
... you'll just waste your time and annoy the pig.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, it's been a long week this week. I've seen several International airlines prevent them on the airplane entirely because then if you don't eat all of them, they have to take special quarantine measures to dispose of them (can't just throw them into the garbage).

Well, like you said, it's not very strictly enforced. Custom agents tend to rely on the honor system.

And I'll tell ya this now that I think about it, never once have I ever had a French Custom agent ask me about any food that I'm bringing into the country. In fact, they usually don't say a single word to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/r...HTML#se14.3.135_1121

§135.121 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.
I think you're quoting a reg that does not apply to this discussion.

Part 135 governs charters, air taxi operations, etc.

Scheduled airline flights are governed by Part 121.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I did see TSA confiscate a jar of peanut butter from another passenger. This was at the LAS airport last fall. I asked about it and was told "spreadable" was a No No as its considered a liquid by TSA. I pressed a bit saying I bring PBJ sandwiches all the time. Answer was don't care the jar of PB is not allowed.
Like many things TSA the logic was lost on me.

My brother, who is a vegetarian for some reason, was traveling with a bagel and 6ish oz tub of hummus. He got the same song and dance about the container of hummus being forbidden. There standing at the x-ray belt, he opened the hummus and used a plastic utensil to spread it onto the bagel to make a sandwich. He asked, "Good now?" and was told it was fine. To this day the absurdity of it gives me a chuckle.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

So, I can take my own booze on a commercial flight?

(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage
aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder

operating the aircraft has served that beverage.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

So, I can take my own booze on a commercial flight?

(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage
aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder

operating the aircraft has served that beverage.

The same regulation is included in Part 121.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post