SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Just know that if there is a single kid on that plane with a nut allergy YOU WILL BE PLACED ON A TERRORIST WATCH LIST!

Ps: my favorite on-board snack are those French fry looking potato chips that they hand out. Delicious.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to know how they treat you in the aftermath of their screw up earlier this week. Would also be curious to know how full the plane was. Perhaps you could post an update at the end of your trip. In any case, do have a great trip.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I dare you to put a Ziploc of mixed nuts in your carry on, and at the TSA grope station to say in a loud military drill ground voice:

The way you're inspecting my nuts, people will think we're engaged!!

And no, I won't post your bail.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I dare you to put a Ziploc of mixed nuts in your carry on, and at the TSA grope station to say in a loud military drill ground voice:

" ... you want me to take my nuts out of the bag?"

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be discreet pouring your own booze. You're violating rules doing it. The only time I've ever seen anybody get even a warning was pre 9/11 when a couple skinheads were pouring a 750 of Jack on a nearly empty Southwest flight.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I brought the following on a flight to Guam once (military flight, so no TSA):

For some reason the rest of the crew had a problem with this.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooperdan:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Thanks, all.

It will feel good to tell the Mrs. that she was/is wrong.

Does that make me evil?

No, not evil; just NOT SMART!!

Yeah, you are probably right! Big Grin

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

As tempting as that sounds, I don't think I will antagonize them. Last time we had to deal with them we stood for 2 hours waiting for the numbnuts to figure out that it was really legal to carry my pistol in the checked baggage.

Too many horror stories about how they treat us lowly tax payers.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
I brought the following on a flight to Guam once (military flight, so no TSA):

For some reason the rest of the crew had a problem with this.

Have no personal knowledge of Kimchi, but had buddies in the army that had served in Korea and they had great stories to tell about its fragrance. Nearly all of them, tho, said it was really tasty.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Sad to say, I am flying on United. Wish it were otherwise, but non-refundable tickets and all that.

Had the reservations for a couple of weeks, before this crap storm started.

Bring headgear

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I'm going to go back to your original question. You won't get a second glance if you have a bag of nuts or any other solid snack for that matter in your carry on.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

I thought it was against federal regulation to open your own bottle of alcohol on a flight or to drink alcohol that was not directly served to you by a flight attendant. Cabin crew perform the "Bartender' duty.

The spiel I hear them give says you can only consume alcohol served by the flight attendants.

I carry the mini bottles in my personal item. I ask the flight attendant to hold the personal item while I store the carry on in the overhead bins. They then hand it back to me, I say "Thank you for your service" to which they invariably reply "You're welcome".

I have just had my mini bottles "served" but the flight attendant, thereby making them ok to consume... Big Grin

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

I thought it was against federal regulation to open your own bottle of alcohol on a flight or to drink alcohol that was not directly served to you by a flight attendant. Cabin crew perform the "Bartender' duty.

The spiel I hear them give says you can only consume alcohol served by the flight attendants.

I carry the mini bottles in my personal item. I ask the flight attendant to hold the personal item while I store the carry on in the overhead bins. They then hand it back to me, I say "Thank you for your service" to which they invariably reply "You're welcome".

I have just had my mini bottles "served" but the flight attendant, thereby making them ok to consume... Big Grin

Big Grin

That'll work.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cannot bring nuts on an international flight (Legumes) due to them possibly carrying something. I've never seen anyone enforce it.

On nationwide flights you can bring all of the nuts you want, in fact some of the airline employees are nuts!!!! LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You cannot bring nuts on an international flight (Legumes) due to them possibly carrying something. I've never seen anyone enforce it.

Nonsense. You can bring as many nuts and as many types of nuts as you want onto an international flight.

You're​ just not supposed to carry them through your port of entry.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'm always discreet when pouring, but I have been bringing my own minibottles with for a few years as well. I refill the minis at home instead of pitching them on the plane. I thought I actually read somewhere that it was fine, but I guess I'm not too concerned? It's my ticket, my seat, my food, and I'll get a coke for my whiskey, thanks (since they don't have decent sour- yeesh).

The booze is right there, clearly labeled in my clear plastic liquids bag, and I make no effort to hide the bottles when going through security- one is actually grand marinier, in case I want coffee instead of coke.
I'm also that person who brings along my own tea bags and sweetener so I don't have to mess around or wait on the stewardesses. Just get me a glass of hot water and I'll take care of myself. Move on.

I'm curious as to what rule it is I'm breaking by bringing my own beverage? The only time I've had my liquor taken away was when I meandered on to a flight carrying my mixed drink (this year, tiny foreign airport, tiny tarmac, and they had allowed me do the same thing on the way TO this vacation location, but apparently not cool on the way back.. it was maybe a 24 seater plane? Nbd. I let it go and kept walking.

Certainly I've brought food on many times, and when my husband and son travel with me, my husband packs small tupperwares of fruit just for the flight (son is prek) and some of these flights are many hours. We also bring a liquid container to fill once through security for him, as one time I had a flight attendant tell me they had no water on the plane- then watched her putting ice in glasses for other beverages. Apparently the twit didn't get what ice becomes in liquid state... and I'm pretty sure they have a microwave or some similar implement on most standard passenger planes that service the lower 48..but again, stuff like that has made me much more self reliant.

Bring whatever you want, just don't love it too much, in case they do try to take it away Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Nonsense. You can bring as many nuts and as many types of nuts as you want onto an international flight.

Onto the flight yes, but many countries ban you from bringing in foreign meats, produce, nuts and other food items from your country into their country. So you better consume all of them before entering customs with them in the foriegn country you land in.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Onto the flight yes, but many countries ban you from bringing in foreign meats, produce, nuts and other food items from your country into their country. So you better consume all of them before entering customs with them in the foriegn country you land in.

Isn't that exactly what I just said said?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Isn't that exactly what I just said said?

Yes, it's been a long week this week. I've seen several International airlines prevent them on the airplane entirely because then if you don't eat all of them, they have to take special quarantine measures to dispose of them (can't just throw them into the garbage).

posted Hide Post
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/r...HTML#se14.3.135_1121

§135.121 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post