SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
If the flight is over 2 hours I usually bring a sandwich and an apple at a minimum. Denver now has specialized water dispensers inside the secured area where you can fill your own water bottle. I am a little leery of using those though, as you don't know who's touched them.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its not the edible bag of "nuts" your wife is telling you to leave home... in a jar, in her closet, Big Grin

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Thanks, all.

It will feel good to tell the Mrs. that she was/is wrong.

Does that make me evil?

She may tell TSA you said "TSA may fondle my nuts"

Or worse, "I hope TSA fondles my nuts!"

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
TSA did want to unwrap a salt mill I was packing, fully loaded. They were not too concerned, though. Said my blood pressure was my business. Once they saw it was not a 40mm grenade or explosive shell of some sort.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When leaving San Diego I make sure to get one last order of surf and turf fries for the road. TSA is always jealous when I send it through the scanner.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry almonds, and pecans all the time. Food is supposed to be ok period.
I did see TSA confiscate a jar of peanut butter from another passenger. This was at the LAS airport last fall. I asked about it and was told "spreadable" was a No No as its considered a liquid by TSA. I pressed a bit saying I bring PBJ sandwiches all the time. Answer was don't care the jar of PB is not allowed.
Like many things TSA the logic was lost on me.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Don't bring a fifth of Jack Daniels to wash it down

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

You can bring as many of these as you can fit in your 1-quart zip top bag though...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, all.

Does that make me evil?

No, not evil; just NOT SMART!!

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

You can bring as many of these as you can fit in your 1-quart zip top bag though...

I thought it was against federal regulation to open your own bottle of alcohol on a flight or to drink alcohol that was not directly served to you by a flight attendant. Cabin crew perform the "Bartender' duty.

Are the mini-alcohol bottles allowed on flights, domestic/international? If true, well, so much cheaper this way!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I did see TSA confiscate a jar of peanut butter from another passenger.

Before his Peter Pan was fleeced he should have opened the jar, scooped a big glob into his mouth with his finger, and then started counting back from 5. (Assuming this is possible with a mouth full of peanut butter). Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Before his Peter Pan was fleeced he should have opened the jar, scooped a big glob into his mouth with his finger, and then started counting back from 5. (Assuming this is possible with a mouth full of peanut butter). Smile

... that elicited a snortle, right before I realized I was eating PB and Jam.

Now cleaning the keyboard.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't envy you flying from Virginia to Lewiston Id. It's going to be a long ass day. I'm sure you will have at least one stop on the way. Take enough snacks to last the whole flight.

The weather is looking decent next week, so I hope you can get in some fishing. A friend came home with a couple of nice Clearwater Steelhead last weekend and he was fishing from the bank.

Have a great time Elk,

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:
quote:

I thought it was against federal regulation to open your own bottle of alcohol on a flight or to drink alcohol that was not directly served to you by a flight attendant. Cabin crew perform the "Bartender' duty.

Are the mini-alcohol bottles allowed on flights, domestic/international? If true, well, so much cheaper this way!

Been doing it for years bringing on my alcohol.

And the flight attendants don't always open the bottles for you when you order it from them. In fact, most times I get a double and they just give me the two bottles and I open them when I'm ready.

TSA has never said anything about my mini bottles sitting right next to my mini shampoo. And they've certainly noticed.

Bottoms up!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
TSA doesn't give two shits about bringing nips through security. The flight attendants don't take too kindly to you opening and drinking booze they didn't sell you, but I suppose if they don't see it and you're not being a hard on about it, who cares.

My problems is my nips are typically Makers Mark, which almost no airline stocks, so it's abundantly clear if I'm not discreet.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
ahh the days before TSA in 1990 when me and my wife were going on our honeymoon we stayed up all night partying had a 8:00 am charter flight to aruba we had a bottle of rum in the carry on and big gulp cups full of rum and coke and no one said anything at the gate or in the plane Big Grin

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
Bottoms up!

... bottoms up indeed!

Elk - I take snacks on board all the time, often my own trail mix of dark chocolate, almonds, pumpkin and apricot sprouted seeds, beef jerky and dried fruit. I buy bottled water like the smart water brand, once through security.

I am more than aware of the albeit stupid 'spreadable' characterizations and ensure that would never apply to my vegemite on a roll.

Safe travels!!

Kerry Packer

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooperdan:
quote:
Thanks, all.

Does that make me evil?

No, not evil; just NOT SMART!!

Yeah. I have not told her yet. I think I will wait until she drops me at the airport!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I don't envy you flying from Virginia to Lewiston Id. It's going to be a long ass day. I'm sure you will have at least one stop on the way. Take enough snacks to last the whole flight.

The weather is looking decent next week, so I hope you can get in some fishing. A friend came home with a couple of nice Clearwater Steelhead last weekend and he was fishing from the bank.

Have a great time Elk,

Jim

I think it is about 8 hours on airplanes. 2 hours from Spokane to Lewiston by car. I hope I have enough room on the plane to at least snooze a little. Have about 45 minutes in Denver to change planes.

Great news on the steelhead!! My brother is an avid fisherman and has a specially built shallow water boat to fish both the Snake and Clearwater. We have discussed the fishing a couple times. He also drives commercial jet boats up the Snake River, and odds are good that I will be able to ride along as a deckhand. Done that before.

We talked about maybe whacking some Rock Chucks but it seems there is only limited access to their territory.

First time I have been home in nearly 20 years. Probably be my last trip.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Have a great time Elk,

Jim

I think it is about 8 hours on airplanes. 2 hours from Spokane to Lewiston by car. I hope I have enough room on the plane to at least snooze a little. Have about 45 minutes in Denver to change planes.

Great news on the steelhead!! My brother is an avid fisherman and has a specially built shallow water boat to fish both the Snake and Clearwater. We have discussed the fishing a couple times. He also drives commercial jet boats up the Snake River, and odds are good that I will be able to ride along as a deckhand. Done that before.

We talked about maybe whacking some Rock Chucks but it seems there is only limited access to their territory.

First time I have been home in nearly 20 years. Probably be my last trip.

There's a chance I've met your brother. We've taken visiting relatives on charter jet boats up the Snake a few times in the past. Makes for a fun experience for people never having done something like that.

I worked for a large folding carton company here in Spokane and one of my duties was raw material purchaser, so I spend millions of dollars of the company's money with the Potlatch mill in Lewiston. They would wine and dine me and take me fishing, hunting and golfing in the area. Good times to be had by all. I sure as hell don't miss having to drive down there in the winter months though.

Again, have a great time and make as many memories as you can.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post