SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA regulation regarding taking snacks on planes Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I am flying next week. I am traveling cattle car rate.

I want to take a small bag of mixed nuts in my carry on bag. Wife says the TSA will not allow it.

Do not see how it is any of the TSA's business.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanx.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

giggle. ah, you assume tsa policies are rational? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
snacks.. nuts are fine. it's liquids they jump and scream over.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I am flying next week. I am traveling cattle car rate.

I want to take a small bag of mixed nuts in my carry on bag. Wife says the TSA will not allow it.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanx.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I agree with above, just no liquids.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Nuts seem to be OK...

Nuts

Carry On Baggage: Yes
Checked Baggage: Yes

What Can I Bring?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16318 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
even though when the 'liquid bombers' were tried in court they were all found not guilty as their devices wouldn't have worked - if memory serves me correctly

but its the TSA - they make new stuff up every day

and no one seems to be able to club them over the heads like, baby seals when they're stupid

good luck flying - I don't envy you at all - and I hope you're not going United

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

It will feel good to tell the Mrs. that she was/is wrong.

Does that make me evil?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Oh, ' snacks.'
Not 'snakes.'

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Just came back Tu. Had a medium bag of M&Ms in my carry-on (large camera bag) and it wasn't pulled aside for closer examination.

Only time my food items have been given closer examination is when it was hot/warm foods. Guess they give off some sort of signature in the x-ray machine.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

A solid should be fine. Liquids are prohibited.

quote:
Oh, ' snacks.'
Not 'snakes.'

Snacks on a plane! Snacks on a plane!

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
even though when the 'liquid bombers' were tried in court they were all found not guilty as their devices wouldn't have worked - if memory serves me correctly

but its the TSA - they make new stuff up every day

and no one seems to be able to club them over the heads like, baby seals when they're stupid

good luck flying - I don't envy you at all - and I hope you're not going United

Sad to say, I am flying on United. Wish it were otherwise, but non-refundable tickets and all that.

Had the reservations for a couple of weeks, before this crap storm started.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

I just buy stuff near the gate

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy them after you clear security at the terminal vendors. I take soda, chips, mints and sandwiches on every flight.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flew to Arizona in February and my wife packed full lunches for us including sandwiches, chips, carrots, etc. It was no issue.

Had to buy our drinks after security though, as others have stated.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have posted before, a few years ago wife and I did a one hour hop out of San Jose early on a Sat morning. Both of us were stopped during security, double scan, wand, pat down, wife hands swabbed for nitrates, then to the side area to inspect her lunch bag. 2 bagels with cream cheese, 2 choco chip cookies. They let us go to the gate.

Some weeks later, and I think it might have been on SigForum, someone commented that under the scan technology used, bagels with cream cheese look like an explosive device common in terrorism. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Bring as many snacks as you want. You can bring a bucket of fried chicken through security if it'll fit in your carry on. You won't have any problem. I normally carry on a giant bag of trail mix.

I even bring through security those little single shot bottles of alcohol (nips), usually whiskey. As long as it's less than 3.2 oz and fits in the little zip lock bag, all is well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Flew to Arizona in February and my wife packed full lunches for us including sandwiches, chips, carrots, etc. It was no issue.

Had to buy our drinks after security though, as others have stated.

Coke products plentiful after security. Pepsi products rare.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Thanks, all.

It will feel good to tell the Mrs. that she was/is wrong.

Does that make me evil?

Evil no. A guy who might be sleeping on the couch, maybe. Smile

As far as flying United, if you were ever going to do it, now is probably the perfect time. After the (well deserved) pasting they have been getting and continue to get they will probably be going out of their way to treat everyone as well as they can. Good luck on that too. Smile

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wilkoi:
Buy them after you clear security at the terminal vendors. I take soda, chips, mints and sandwiches on every flight.

Da fuq? Why would you ever encourage anyone to buy anything at the airport? Buying overpriced stuff at the airport (or on the airplane) is the penalty for not planning ahead.

I pack snacks and lunch/dinner onto the airplane. Sandwiches work well for this. I just stick it in my backpack or shoulder bag, and it never gets any additional scrutiny. I pack an empty water bottle that I can fill up at the drinking fountain. If you dislike the taste of tap water, then they also have water bottles with little carbon filter elements.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by wilkoi:

Da fuq? Why would you ever encourage anyone to buy anything at the airport? Buying overpriced stuff at the airport (or on the airplane) is the penalty for not planning ahead.

Yeah, the prices are absurd in the terminals. I never buy from inside if I can help it. Absolutely no reason to not bring your own food on flights.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post