SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The I remember when thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The I remember when thread. Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I remember Tet like it was yesterday.

I bet that was something. You should write a story and tell us if you can.

He has and it was quite something.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

I bet that was something. You should write a story and tell us if you can.

He has and it was quite something.

Would it be this? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...950089924#9950089924

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
OK, it's time to separate the clowns from the cowboys.

How many of you guys can run the table on these?

01. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.

02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. In early 1964, we all watched them on The ____ ___________ Show.

03. 'Get your kicks, __ _________ _______.'

04. 'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to _____ _ _____.'

05. 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ____ ____ ____ ____.'

06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____.'

07. Nestle's makes the very best.... _________.'

08. Satchmo was America's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was

______ ___________.

09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______.

10. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named ______ ___ ________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________ '

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their ______ _______.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ___ & _______.

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to _______ ____________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called __________.

15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the ______ _____ .

16. Remember LS/MFT _____ _____/_____ _____ _____?

17. Hey Kids! What time is it? It's _____ ______ _____!

18. Who knows what secrets lie in the hearts of men? Only The _____ Knows!

19. There was a song that came out in the 60's that was "a grave yard smash". It's name was the ______ ______!

20. Alka Seltzer used a "boy with a tablet on his head" as it's Logo/Representative. What was the boy's name? ________

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
OK, it's time to separate the clowns from the cowboys.

01. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.

02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. In early 1964, we all watched them on The ____ ___________ Show.

03. 'Get your kicks, __ _________ _______.'

04. 'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to _____ _ _____.'

05. 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ____ ____ ____ ____.'

06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____.'

07. Nestle's makes the very best.... _________.'

08. Satchmo was America's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was

______ ___________.

09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______.

10. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named ______ ___ ________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________ '

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their ______ _______.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ___ & _______.

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to _______ ____________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called __________.

15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the ______ _____ .

16. Remember LS/MFT _____ _____/_____ _____ _____?

17. Hey Kids! What time is it? It's _____ ______ _____!

18. Who knows what secrets lie in the hearts of men? Only The _____ Knows!

19. There was a song that came out in the 60's that was "a grave yard smash". It's name was the ______ ______!

20. Alka Seltzer used a "boy with a tablet on his head" as it's Logo/Representative. What was the boy's name? ________

These are all too easy for those of us that were there.......but thanks for reminding me of them.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I remember flipping through the Sears catalog this time of year wishing for everything from Santa.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been trying to get this song out of my head since 1972, and now you bring it back!

Damn you, Sir! Mad Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I couldn’t remember the answer to the hobo question, but I was surprised by how easily the rest came to mind. I haven’t though about a lot of those for a very long time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I remember box fans in the bedroom windows on long hot Georgia summer nights listening to the freight train from miles away as it grew closer and closer until it finally passed through town and then faded slowly away southward towards Atlanta.

The front door was left open all day with the screen door unlatched and neighbors would just walk in a sit down whenever they wanted.

Those days are gone forever, over a long time ago.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN I guess I'm waaay over the hill 'cause every answer came real easy to me.....

Thanks. It brought back some very good memories Smile

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember the day the VNAF traitors bombed the presidential palace. They were flying over our house.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I couldn’t remember the answer to the hobo question, but I was surprised by how easily the rest came to mind. I haven’t though about a lot of those for a very long time.

I think I know the name of Skelton’s hobo character. The others all too easy for me...darnit

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same here. The hobo was the only one that I missed with all of the rest immediately coming to mind.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Knew all but #16.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
quote:

Knew all but #16.

Lucky Strike Means Fine Tob***o

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remembered them all, guess i’m Not senile after all.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Very nice JALLEN. I knew all but one of em. Now I’m feeling old.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Very nice JALLEN. I knew all but one of em. Now I’m feeling old.

For purposes of the thread, that’s the difference between a clown and a cowboy!

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, #10, the first part gave me a little pause but I remembered. Knew all of the rest right off.

Remember in 6th grade my school had an NRA club, basement of the oldest school building had ranges set up, once a week we met to shoot there. Buying my first gun, still have it, a Winchester 190, 1974.

I also remember 1968, turned 16. Riding my new 1967 BSA Lightning up north and staying at friend's parent's cottages. Got to take my mother's '64 Mercury Park Lane convertible on a couple of those trips instead. Going up north with a gas credit card and twenty bucks, was that living.

Met a girl that lived in Detroit circa 1969 in northern Michigan. She gave me her address, I had to ask her if her street was posted "Motorcycles Keep Off" as many on the northwest side were. Having to be too much of a gentleman at 17 when she asked me if I could give her a ride home that night, she had asked her parents if it was all right before she asked me. It was too cool that night in October for her to be on the back of that BSA for about 180 miles, hell it was too cool for me but I had no choice otherwise.

Riding in my friend's 55 Chevy wagon again 1969. 283 punched out to 301, Rochester Fuel Injection from a 'Vette. Another friend's (later became mine) '66 Pontiac 2+2 with a 69 Pontiac Ram Air 3. My '54 Chevy that my friend (the Pontiac owner) and I engine swapped a 383 Chrysler into. My first NEW car, a '73 Vega.

Motorcycle dirt racing, enduros and scrambles 1968-1969. Almost went back into it 1977 but I decided that I did not heal as quick as I did when I was a teenager and sold it off.

Working in businesses where the owner actually greeted their employees by name. And cared about them with good pay and benefits. One man I worked for out west said "I pay my people well. Then I know that they are working for me, not trying to screw me and waste time looking for another job on the company clock."

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
quote:

Knew all but #16.

Lucky Strike Means Fine Tob***o

Or the more popular “loose straps mean floppy tits.”

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
couldn’t remember the answer to the hobo question,

Guess that makes me a clown too. Good questions though.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post