SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The I remember when thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The I remember when thread. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I remember when Sammy Sosa was black

Ahhhhh! WTF! What the hell happened?

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Bleach cream... yah, go figure. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe he bought a copy of Watermelon Man and watched it in reverse.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I remember when skateboard wheels were steel, then clay, then urethane....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Speaking of flying, I remember when you could walk with your loved one all the way to the gate, then watch to see their face through the glass next to the doorway as the plane pushed back.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
I remember Wolfman Jack on the radio.

I remember the Star Spangled Banner as the sign off when the TV station went off the air.

I also remember the below poem used as a sign off as well.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
- John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
"High Flight". (My monitor just got blurry--USAF retiree.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I remember my first minimum wage job was $2.35/hr

I remember full service gas stations

I remember when gas was under $1.00/gal

I remember when windows in the car had to be cranked up and down

I remember when Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show

I remember when Disco died (YAY!!!)

Unfortunately, I remember double knit pant suits and bell bottom jeans

I remember when all police officers carried revolvers and a wooden night stick

I remember 8 track and cassette tapes

I remember the lady down the street handing you a stick, and apple, and letting you dip it in hot caramel on Halloween

I remember knowing what kids had been to her house when they came to ours as they had caramel all over their faces and hands.

I remember when studded snow tires were legal here.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the day FDR died. Was at a friends house and his mother came into the room crying. I had to go home.

Street cars in my area. For 10 cents you could ride all over Wilkes-Barre to out lying areas, even out to Harvey's Lake, a popular recreation area.

Watched a neighbor come home from work all covered in coal dust, except for the white around his eyes. I decided then I would never work in the coal industry.

My folks taking me a Polish Funeral and reception. A Korean War soldier laying in open coffin, next to a band playing Polka music while people danced and drank booze. I was around 7 years old and was handed my first glass of beer.

Gasoline was 15 cents a gallon and sometimes cheaper during a "gas war" between stations.

Taverns (bars) were everywhere in my home town. "Boilermakers", a shot of cheap whiskey and a short beer was 35 cents. Supper Clubs, or high class taverns which served good food, booze and entertainment.

Walking to school, three miles each way. No bus for us.

Most of the girls in school were skinny and flat chested. One had a set of boobs and later in life several husbands and several kids and on welfare.

Drive in theaters and parking in the rear with your chick. Drive in workers coming around with a flashlight to peer into a car to see if anyone was having sex.

The Wyoming Valley (W-B, Kingston, Plymouth, Exeter and other locals) was nice and pleasant before the 1972 flood.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I remember when parents both worked. Dad at his job and mom at home.

I remember (speaking of mom) in grade school, her sending me to the grocery store on my bike to buy her smokes and the check-out lady thought nothing of it.

I remember (speaking of smokes) cigarette vending machines.

I remember playing with little plastic Army men in the garden and simulating grenades with firecrackers.

I remember riding our bikes to the A&W drive-in and getting a frosty mug for a nickel.

I remember the diner counter at Woolworths had the best french fries ever.

I remember having to mow the lawn with a push reel mower.

I remember sleeping out in the yard in the summers with my brothers.

I remember riding our bikes up to Foys Lake to go swimming when I was in grade school. A good six or seven miles round trip and completely unsupervised. Sometimes we wouldn't get home until well after dark.

I remember when you had to bring your lunch to school in a brown bag. Not only would my parents not buy us lunchboxes, but we had to bring the bag home to re-use it for a good week or until it fell apart. (I think we were a lot poorer than mom and dad let on).

I remember having to wear darned socks.

...so many more.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I remember when interest rates for bank accounts were 12%...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I remember when folks drove their trucks with their rifles hanging on the rack behind them. And, that was cool.

and,,, we drove them to school and parked in the school parking lot,,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if you had a beef with someone, you didn't run home to get a gun, although guns were easily available at that time, you duked it out with the other guy. Your father or an uncle had taught you how to fight, how to defend yourself.

You and the other guy fought in the school yard until a teacher came and broke it up, told you to shake hands with the other guy and go back to class.

No one got suspended or expelled. The Police were not called. No note to your Mom.

You and the other guy became best of friends and went shooting guns together.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Geritol, Absorbine Jr., mercurochrome, castor oil, New-Skin and BC Powder were a staple in our house for first aid and ailments.

Steel can pull tops and pop bottle tops embedded in the asphalt of convenience stores

having a large floor-standing radio

TV channels signing off at night with a Christian pastor's message and then the Lord's Prayer sung.

TVs being turned off and watching the dot in the middle fading out.

being at the local pharmacy checking our TV and radio tubes on a tube tester

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ftttu,

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I remember when thread was something with which you sewed.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
women would give me a second or third look

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I remember when comic books were "Still Only 35 Cents".

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soft drinks were in glass bottles and cost a nickel. Bottle deposit was also a nickel. My brother and I would pick up bottles along the gravel country roads and exhchange them for more drinks or the bottle deposit money. Always had to take bottles to the grocery store to exchange for drink purchases.

The drinks machines were large metal coolers with super cold ice water that the glass bottle drinks were kept in. When you wanted a drink, you stuck your hand down into the ice water and grabbed one. Froze your hand off.

RC Cola and a Moon Pie.

My cousin had a new car, Chrysler I think, that had push button transmission on the dash.

Spent our summer school vacations working on relatives dairy farms and hauling square bale hay and working tobacco in East Tennessee.

DOUG
Military Police = MP = Mike Papa

Posts: 245 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember landing under sniper fire in Bosnia with Hillary. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I remember black and white TV...
I remember being the one to adjust the rabbit ears on the TV
I remember seeing my first color TV
I remember glass milk bottles delivered to the door
I remember when the doctor made house calls
I remember watching Sputnik cross the sky
I remember The Lone Ranger came on everyday at 5:OOPM
I remember Buffalo Bob

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
When the Sears catalog was an amazing thing.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post