SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The I remember when thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The I remember when thread. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I remember getting to first, second, third and my first home run with a girl. Who it was with and where it happened. Big Grin

It's some of the ones in between then and now that gets a little fuzzy.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I remember when if a person was being a total asshole, people would admonish him by saying, "That's not very Christian."

I remember when kids had buck knives in their sheaths attached to their belt. When a couple of them would get in a fist fight after school, the idea of pulling that buck knife never even occurred to either of them.

I remember when folks wouldn't accept hand outs - their pride and sense of purpose prohibited them from being (gasp!) a "charity case."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I remember school desegregation.

I went to an all white school through the 4th grade. When I was in the 5th, they desegregated just the teachers. The next year they mixed us all up.

I guess my number came up, being bussed to a historically all Black school was... interesting... to say the least.

I remember
3 and 4 digit phone numbers and party lines.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember having my bed just 50 feet from my work place instead of 50 miles. The irony is that I was consistently late for muster with the 50 feet but I made sure I woke up early enough for the 50 mile commute to be even early.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember installing 8-10' C-Band Satellite dishes.

Remember playing with an audio recording device which recorded sound on a wire.

Remember 3.5/5.25/8 floppies.

Remember my first MC10 and TRS80 computers.

Remember a time when I didn't feel the need to carry a firearm.

Remember when living with parents, life was simple.

Remember selling 'bag' phones.

Remember having to manually 'program' cell phones for them to operate.

Remember selling the first Direct TV (mini-dish) systems which sold for $799 and $999.

Remember when R12 and R22 was $60-80 a tank.

Remember when techs used refrigerant to blow off 'clean' refrigeration coils and to fill up a low tire to get to the service shop.

Remember erecting towers and installing TV antennas.

Remember when automobiles didn't have computers and all the electronic crap.

Remember when it took 4 men and a tank to remove old refrigerators and freezers.

Remember crawling through an 8x16 opening to get into a crawlspace to complete some work.

Remember when people walked around and nobody had there pants around their ankles.

Remember a time when men were men and women were women.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I remember having to press the accelerator to the floor on cold days to set the choke before starting the car

I remember a button on the floor of the car that turned the high beams on and off
I still have that with my 1966 Mustang.

I remember crawling into the house through the milk chute when my parents locked the keys inside.

I remember when bread and fresh vegetables were sold out of trucks driving up and down the neighborhood streets (milk, too--my dad was a milkman).

I remember on non-school days leaving the house after breakfast and playing with my friends until the street lights came on, and no one was worried.

I remember riding unaccompanied all around the city of Detroit on the buses when 10 years old. (I wasn't aware of it, but my mom did call ahead to ascertain I made it to where I was going, though.)

During WWII I remember saving tin foil from gum and cigarette packages (rolled it into balls); collecting bacon grease, rubber, and scrap aluminum for the war effort; opening both ends and flattening "tin" cans; buying savings stamps and putting them into books, later to be exchanged for war bonds; playing with toys made of pressed cardboard instead of metal, because the metal was needed for the war; rationing of meats, sugar, and certain other foodstuffs--and gasoline--to insure there was enough for out troops. I also remember "blackout drills", where heavy curtains were drawn over the house windows and cars drove without headlights.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
In addition to many of the recollections already stated, I remember:

Red Ball Jet sneakers, so I could "Run a little faster; jump a little higher".

S&H Green Stamps

Drinking from the neighbor's pump using a common tin cup hooked to the handle (after checking for spiders, etc).

Running outside to catch a glimpse of the high flying jet that created that sonic boom

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I remember walking down main street with my buddies heading for the woods at the edge of town with a .22 slung over my shoulder(with a rope sling) and no one even giving us a second look.

I remember collecting night crawlers for fishing bait from the yard in the dark after a rain.

Delivering news papers and shoveling snow for spending money.

Sneaking into the drive in theater in the trunk.

Cap guns, marbles and yo-yo's.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_v5w9NwUU

And I don't remember watching even one episode. But catchy tune.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I remember that giant bassy thump when you turned the dial (changed channels) on the TV.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I remember when I walked to the Western Auto store in downtown Austell Ga. To buy .22 ammo...usually CIL brand because they were cheap...(a 10 year old is on a budget you know Wink)...

And buying 12 gauge shot-gun shells one at a time instead of by the box...

I remember when the felt hats with your name sewn on was a must have item from the South Eastern Fair, extra coolness if your hat sported the three foot feather stapled to it Cool

I remember buying gas for 15.9 cents a gallon during a "gas war"...

I remember when stores gave Gold Bond and S&H green stamps with purchases...

I remember when gas stations gave away dishes, blowup dinosaurs, tiger tails, magnetic plastic horse shoes, plastic fireman hats and such to get your business...we kids loved such things Smile

I remember the unsupervised "free to use as much as you want to" X-Ray machine to look at the bones in your feet at the Thompson Boland Lee shoe store in Atlanta Eek...

I remember when my mom would buy me new blue jeans 8" to long so I could "grow into them"...didn't worry about the waist size, the taller I grew the skinnier I got...

I remember when the Polaroid "Swinger" camera came out...it was "only 19 dollars and 95".

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I remember having to provide my ID and having the info put in a big ledger book when I bought ammo. In Texas.

I remember hamburgers costing 29 cents and cheeseburgers costing 39 cents.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I remember a needle pulling thread.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I remember when folks drove their trucks with their rifles hanging on the rack behind them. And, that was cool.

And parked them at the local high school without causing a ruckus.

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
(Borrowed from a sign at a tire store)

I remember when we had full size spares in our cars and full size candy bars at Halloween.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I remember Joe DiMaggio.

I remember Annette Funicello as a Mouseketeer.

I remember Harry Truman as President.

I remember drinking fountains for white and colored, and restrooms for men, women and colored. Our school was segregated until sometime in junior high. I don't remember that being noticed much.

I remember listening to Sputnik on a local ham’s receiver.

The cheapest gas I remember was up in Waco, a perpetual gas war, 9.9 cents. When you went to Dallas, you tried to leave with barely enough gas to make it to Waco. 12.9 cents was the low in college.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, the JFK Assassination, and watching Oswald shot on live TV.

I remember black and white TV, with no remote control to change channels, of which we had only 3.

I remember the Texas City explosion, or rather all the windows getting blown out which, years later, I associate with that event.

I remember watching the Galveston Highway being built through south Houuston, picnics in Hermann Park in the heat, humidity and mosquitoes, playing under the oak tree where Sam Houston lay when he accepted the surrender of Santa Ana, and shooting at passing ships in the Channel from the guns on the USS Texas.

I don’t remember meeting Howard Hughes, although my grandmother said I broke up a meeting between him, Noah Dietrich and my granddad, as a little red-haired preschool kid running in excitedly. I do remember running into his office on many occasions, but whether Hughes was there, or Bigfoot and the Abominable Snowman, I can’t say.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I remember playing marbles for most of a day.

Tiger eyes, Clearsises, and the odd steel ball that'd wipe everything off the dirt.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I remember taking our shotguns to school so we could go hunting aftewords. I remember taking my Browning A-5 into school as my English teacher wanted to see it. I remember a debate coach buying a pistol while on a trip and showing it to me afterwords.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember being paddled by the assistant principal in 6th grade, which was the norm for dealing with unruly boys

I remember when a $20 bill was a big bill and never seeing $50's or $100's (at our gas station)

I remember getting in a fight in 8th grade, kid pounded my face but I broke his arm (on my face) went back to class all bloody, teacher never said a thing and the other kid showed up the next day with his arm in a cast, never a word. (I still consider that fight a win!)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I remember back to when I was about 4 years old, nothing before that. Smile

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post