SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pompeo takes a swipe at NY Times over outing of CIA officer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pompeo takes a swipe at NY Times over outing of CIA officer Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Fox News Politics

CIA Director Mike Pompeo blasted the New York Times Thursday for publishing the name of the undercover officer in charge of the agency's Iran operations.

During a question-and-answer session at the Aspen Security Forum, an annual gathering of intelligence and national security officials and experts, Pompeo said the decision to publish the operative's name was "unconscionable." The audience applauded his statement after a brief period of silence.

The operative's name, which Fox News is withholding, was published in a June 2 story. The Times said it was publishing the name because the officer had previously been identified in other news reports and because the operative is "leading an important new administration initiative against Iran."

The Times story cited "current and former intelligence officials," who the report said spoke on condition of anonymity because the officer was undercover.

There was no immediate comment from the Times late Thursday about whether the Trump administration had asked the paper not to publish the officer's name.

Pompeo had criticized Iran earlier in his appearance, saying Tehran's work to gain a foothold in Syria was only one example of its aim to become the "kingpin" of the Middle East. Pompeo also likened Iran's compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal to, as he put it, "a bad tenant bouncing checks."

In a wide-ranging conversation, Pompeo also told the audience that Russia is interested in keeping forces in Syria in part because they "love to stick it to America."

Pompeo added that he had seen no strong evidence that Moscow was determined to defeat ISIS in Syria and called their engagement in that fight "minimal." However, Pompeo added that he was happy to work with Moscow on counterterrorism issues.

When asked if Russia is America's friend or adversary, Pompeo replied: "It's complicated," and added that it was clear that Russians "find anyplace they can to make our lives more difficult."

Pompeo also renewed his criticism of Wikileaks, saying that he believed the website would "take down America any way it can."

WikiLeaks is happy to work with Russia, China, Iran -- or even young American students at U.S. colleges and universities, Pompeo said, adding that on its website, the anti-privacy group urges students to become a CIA intern so they can become whistleblowers.

Despite his criticism, Pompeo acknowledged that President Trump had not shared his view during the campaign. "I don't love WikiLeaks," Pompeo said, referencing one of Trump's statements as a candidate while the website was publishing hacked emails of his opponent, Hillary Clinton.

Besides Edward Snowden, a former National Security Agency contractor who leaked documents revealing extensive U.S. government surveillance, WikiLeaks has released nearly 8,000 documents that it says reveal secrets about the CIA's cyberespionage tools for breaking into computers. WikiLeaks previously published 250,000 State Department cables and embarrassed the U.S. military with hundreds of thousands of logs from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Fox News' Catherine Herridge and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the NYT certainly seems to do everything it can to prove its an anti-American newspaper

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Didn't Scooter Libby go to prison?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
NYT = POS.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Didn't Scooter Libby go to prison?

He didn't out a CIA officer. That was done by someone else. Libby was convicted of lying to an FBI agent, something he misremembered, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Commie rag best suited to lining the bottom of parakeet cages.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jefferson had some thoughts about this problem.

"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

"Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.”

"No government ought to be without censors; and where the press is free no one ever will."

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

"I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it."