SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BEST GUN SAFE to fit in typical closet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST GUN SAFE to fit in typical closet Login/Join 
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Best advice I have is to buy bigger than what you need now or think you will need. Buy once, cry once. Big Grin

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I tried that. Yet over the years the safe still became too small. I think someone washed it in hot water.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd do my best to put it in a closet that can be locked shut so the safe isn't easily noticed. I absolutely wouldn't put it in the garage. Do you have a trustworthy friend or family member nearby who could keep your weapons for you while the work is being done? I think the best path is to not let any of the workers know there are ever guns there at all. They may be honest but their cousin Enrique maybe not so much.

A gun safe will hardly slow down a determined thief, particularly one who has time and power tools.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
BEST GUN SAFE to fit in typical closet

I would think the largest safe that would fit in that space, with the most quality that you could afford, would be your answer.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am having work done of my interior and cannot be there 24/7.

If you're aiming to store things temporarily, could a job-site tool box (i.e. Jobox) be a short-term solution?

(I do realize that doesn't suit your "fit in a closet" application.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Can also order online and have delivered. Cost not a factor.

I purchased from https://www.deansafe.com and I was very happy with their prices and delivery.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I know you say "cost is not a factor", but unless you want to spend a lot of money for an actual safe (at least $5k for a used one) there isn't much difference security wise in gun safes. They can all be opened up in a few minutes with $200 or less in tools from Home Depot.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The AMSEC BF series is one of the only gun safes that will actually perform as advertised. Although a bit more expensive than some of the Liberties, Champions, etc., they are one of the best gun safes in their price range.

Rolland is the closest full service safe company that sells AMSECs to you. Their New Orleans office is about 70 miles away.

I can also ship anything AMSEC, although I still suggest shopping locally if possible.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
The AMSEC BF series is one of the only gun safes that will actually perform as advertised.

I assume with the mechanical lock and not the electric lock????????

I notice there is a choice to be had there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I still prefer mechanical locks, but most of the modern electronic locks are not horrible. Some people need electronics for the speed, ability to set their own combinations, time delayed opening, audit trails, etc.

I still see more failures out of electronics than mechanicals (although both can fail), and I suspect 100 years from now the mechanical lock will still work whereas the electronic likely would not.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Everybody slams electric/ keypad locks, but I’m in and out of my safe 6,7 plus times a day and a mechanical lock would be a real pita. Ive been very happy with my Fort Knox safe, great warranty if ever needed. If I were buying again, i would pay less attention to aesthetics and more attention to size and steel. You’ll find that it will quickly fill up with other misc crap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dry-fly,

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
AMSEC BF series

Not that AMSEC doesn't have good products, but this is RSC rated so what would make it better than another RSC rated product?
(I'm shopping which is why I ask).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
but this is RSC rated so what would make it better than another RSC rated product?

This is true across the rating spectrum. The rating is a minimum requirement. Anything that meets it passes, including those that would surpass.

As far as the BF is concerned, it has a solid plate door (either 3/8" or 1/2" depending on model), and a dual walled body filled with a cast, purpose engineered fire fill.

Your typical gun safe has a "refrigerator" door that is 1/8" wrapped around some gypsum to appear thick, and a single walled body with gypsum board leaned up against the inside of it.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
Make sure your floor can handle what ever you get!!! Some safes can go over 1000 pounds. Thats a lot of weight in a small area.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Amsec. No question. Garage? I think it depends. Mine is in the garage. Maybe next time, next house, I'll put it in the master bedroom.

There is no way you can hold that many pistols and revolvers without seriously mapping out the shelves, racks, hanging door hooks, and all that goes with pistols. I have a combination interior and I think it would be terribly difficult to put more than 25 handguns in my interior. Using racks, you gain some organizational space, but lose actual space.

I forget the model number but it is five feet tall and 30 inches wide.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
have a combination interior and I think it would be terribly difficult to put more than 25 handguns in my interior.

Use 2 safes. One with the universal interior for long arms, and the second ordered as an all shelf unit for the pistols.

www.zykansafe.com

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you put the pistols in "Bore Stores" silicone treated fleece cases I imagine you can get 25 handguns on a couple of shelves in a safe. I've used them for years and have never had a problem with rust or damage to anything I've stored in them.

http://www.borestores.com/orde...&nav=Handgun%20Cases

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you put the pistols in "Bore Stores" silicone treated fleece cases I imagine you can get 25 handguns on a couple of shelves in a safe. I've used them for years and have never had a problem with rust or damage to anything I've stored in them.

Thanks. We have gulf coast humidity, but assume you have not lived in Jerkwater the whole time. West texas bone dry.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
About the electronic vs mechanical lock issue, I'm seeing designs now that have both, either two separate locks, or a single lock that is a combination of both. What do think of both of these systems?
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I still prefer mechanical locks, but most of the modern electronic locks are not horrible. Some people need electronics for the speed, ability to set their own combinations, time delayed opening, audit trails, etc.

I still see more failures out of electronics than mechanicals (although both can fail), and I suspect 100 years from now the mechanical lock will still work whereas the electronic likely would not.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post