SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kidney Cancer...most are found when lookin UPDATE in orig Post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kidney Cancer...most are found when lookin UPDATE in orig Post Login/Join 
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted
Count me as in that group, damn.

I recently , voluntarily went through some heart tests as I have bad family history. Yay, those came out great, low risk and no blockages.

I also had a lower abdomen CT scan because I was having some unexplained abdominal cramping. Didn't find anything that would be causing the cramps. but test shows a golf ball size mass on the lower frontal lobe of the right kidney. About 80% of these solid masses are cancerous, so I am now scheduled for a robotic, laparoscopic, partial Nephrectomy in a few weeks.

Biopsies typically aren't done as there are risks of damaging other parts of the body or even spreading the cancer.

Basically, a simple removal of the mass and a little of the kidney, leaving a functioning kidney behind. From the looks of it prior to the surgery, it is small enough to be classified as Stage 1 and doesn't appear to have spread to the lymph nodes or other organs. THANK YOU CRAMPS! Expectations are a for full cancer free recovery with annual scans to stay on the look out for others.

What a blessing to find it early and I just wanted to say if you are over 60, and have a reason for a CT scan or if you just want peace of mind, have a scan. I would never have thought I would have found this, as I had no symptoms, no blood in the urine, or any other reason to suspect this.

I don't post a lot, but have learned a ton from you guys and anyone I have written to directly has always responded in a positive manner. Passing this info along is the least I can do.

Thank you all and especially Para for hosting this board, there is no other place like it.

UPDATE 11-6-17: Cancer Free, a phrase I have come to love!!!

Surgery went maybe better than expected. Doc said tumor was well contained and that he got it and good margins, even didn't see the need to remove any lymph nodes.

I spent one night in the hospital, was up walking around the evening of the surgery and early the next morning. Doc came by and gave the the good news and we were on our way home by 10:30 am!!!!

I have a follow up next week to hear about pathology but doc says 95% sure it was cancer. I asked if there was anything else I needed to do, (like my mom took a special med for 5 years after her breast cancer). He just shook his head no, and said I would say we are done with this situation. Whooop!( That's an Aggie yell of approval!!)

My abdomen has 4 small incisions, with two to four staples each and one larger that has 7 staples. Other than soreness I feel great. Eating and sleeping normal, getting up and walking around, although haven't started exercise walking again, just yet.

Feeling very blessed at this time of my life for such an outcome!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigWhup,

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with you in this time.

I share your optimism and agree that finding it early like this must be a good thing.

Keep us updated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It happened to my father. He fell from a ladder (what a 70 year old man was doing on a ladder, I can't say) and went in to the doc because he hurt and thought maybe he cracked a rib. He hadn't cracked a rib, but the scan or x-ray showed kidney cancer. The kidney was removed and he is fine, but the doctor told him that usually kills people as it isn't a cancer they often discover until too late.

My best to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Happened to a family friend recently — he was in a small car accident and they ended up doing a CT scan and everything looked fine ... except the tumor on his kidney.

They removed the kidney a week or two later. And all seems to be well now. He had no idea.

Same happened to our own LBJ I do believe — they were looking at something completely unrelated and he requested a CT scan which unearthed his kidney tumor. Which, IIRC, could have been growing for 10+ years. Scary and sad.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My older brother just had his kidney removed about 4 months ago. He started peeing blood went in and they started the diagnostic process, culminating in his kidney removal.

The tumor was cancerous, and large enough that they couldn't save the kidney. His scans post removal have all been clear so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a successful surgery and rapid recovery.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words and hopefully getting the message out will save some lives.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's about as good as news so bad gets. Best wishes to you in the treatment and recovery.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something happened to me 7 years ago. 4days in the
hospital and a 2 week vacation and I am good as new. Btw they took the whole kidney.

Posts: 25 | Location: N.E. Gerogia | Registered: August 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of my friends in the last 5 years or so had cancer in their kidneys diagnosed. Thank goodness our employer required VERY thorough physical prior to retirement. Both lost a kidney. Both are fine (and working for me now at my company.) Having cancer sucks, having this kind at this point in history only sucks a little. My prayers for your speedy recovery, and I am glad it was no worse.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am happy they caught it early at Stage 1.
What great news.

Clear cell carcinoma is nothing to sneeze at.
Don't ask me how I know.
I should probably be dead already.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
God bless you for finding it!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent your way.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine from my previous agency found out about three weeks ago that he has pretty much what you do. He's scheduled for surgery on Thursday the 19th.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
update in original post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Couldn't have asked for a better news. Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoop whoop!

Congrats!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear things worked out well for you! Congrats!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Praise God!

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post