SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So my 13 year old son built his first PC, I needed one also update page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my 13 year old son built his first PC, I needed one also update page 3 Login/Join 
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
The i5 is a great chip for gaming, not so much for video editing. The only weak link I see in your son's build is the 1070 GPU.

I have the 7700K matched with a Asus ROG Maximus board, IMO, it's the best combo out there.

I don't think the Ryzen chips are as good as they're hyped to be, but I have limited experience with them. I've only built two systems with them.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've built a bunch of PC's over the years but those days are over. Shoot, you can buy a great system for less and save your time.

But, I think it's great your kid wants to learn the process. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I usually build my own high-end gaming system ~ every 5 years. Avg. cost is $1500 - $1800. I just built one 2 mo. ago. My Grandson is going to college next year. His computer/gaming sys. died last week. For graduating HS and Christmas, I'm going to buy him a new system. The same system I built for myself, I found pre-built for ~$300 more. Considering build time and S/W load time, I believe I'll buy pre-built in the future.

Posts: 518 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I would lose the "two" 24" 4K monitor requirement. Why? Windows and many apps do not scale 4K well. 24" is too small and a waste for 4k usage. For example: Adobe Photoshop menus (there might be a beta fix out now), the UI text (because they don't scale right, will be unbearably tiny, even for good eyes on a 24" 4K monitor. One much bigger 4k screen is preferable for editing and such. In addition, the 1070 graphics card isn't going to game well at 4K res when the 1080 isn't the greatest with it, and definitely have issues trying to dual 4K monitor games.

Better to get one very big 4K monitor and maybe a cheap smaller secondary at 1080P or something. Especially if he's editing 4k videos, since they are generally edited down to 1080P or smaller size for any type of internet publishing usage anyway.

i7-7700K is great gaming CPU, but it's a not-so-great video editing CPU or modeling CPU (relative to the CPU's with a lot more cores). So with gaming in mind as #1, he ought to just go with 16GB because no games currently require any more than that. Adding a lot more memory is also not going to help with the video or 3d modeling times really as 16 Gb is the sweet spot. More memory after 16GB barely affects rendering times, compared to the rendering time jump between 8GB to 16GB while number of CPU cores and/or GPU power start making a significant difference regardless. Not just my opinion on RAM and video editing either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5_PeJB29E

So that being said, my recommendation would be a single large 4K monitor (like 27-30+") and some cheap smaller 1080 secondary monitor if he still wants dual monitors, which would also hopefully be cheaper than two 4K 24" monitors. Save the money of the > 16Gb RAM and the two smaller 4K monitors and put it into a 1080Ti video card to play games better on the large 4K monitor. The extra 16GB RAM, which will not help gameplay at all and very negligibly affect video rendering and 3d modeling speeds, but a more powerful GPU will positively affect all three (gaming, video rendering, 3d modeling) to more significant degree.

Just my opinion of course.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is Albert's CPU up and Running.

He is using my steam account to start with.

his box

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Sweeet

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Following this thread now. My 14 year old wants to do the same.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Following this thread now. My 14 year old wants to do the same.

Tell me about it, my laptop is 6 years old. I want one now. Albert did save his duckets for this one. We bought on 512 gb ssd, ccleaner, and spybot search and destroy.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I put up a few guns for sale, ones that i have not shot in two years. I put them up for consignment at the little gunstore in town that my daughter works at.

I have sold a few, I took the cash and bought my first set of stuff for my build.

Lg WH16ns0 blue ray.

G.Skill Ripjaws 32 gig, 4 dims ddr 3000

cruicial mx300 535 gb sata SSD

8th Gen I7-8700k

Asus Rog Maximus x apex mother board

Evga Supernova P2 850w

Windows 10

NzXt H440 mid tower

when the next few guns sell, I will follow it up with
1080ti GPU

Roccat ryos keyboard
Roccat Nyth mouse

two Samsung 28" UE510D UHD Monitors

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Are those monitors curved or is that just the picture?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

they're curved, it's the new hot feature.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they are curved, he fell in love with that monitor when my wife picked up 2 of the same. She uses them with her work docking station to work from home. I will take a photo of her set up when she is finished playing on my phone.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
On the large monitors, curved is worth it!!! My work monitor is a 32" non-curved and it's kinda annoying but I can't complain too much since I got upgraded from a 24".

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

they're curved, it's the new hot feature.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Cool! That looks like the schiznitz for a multiple monitor setup.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do make it easier for multiple monitor set ups. Now i just need to wait for delivery damnit

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking setup and more importantly a happy kid! Nice job dsgrouse!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What game is that on the monitor?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never winter nights sequels sword coast legends. He is using my steam account. Lately he is playing destiny and overwatch

Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
WD Black for the hard drives. And get as much space as you can. My sons have built their own PCs and both have had to add a second hard drive because they filled the first one. M youngest started with a 1TB Drive and just added a second hard drive with 2TB.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Man, that grin on his face says it all.

Impressive specs, that setup should last him quite a while.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post