SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rosenstein Suggested He Secretly Record Trump and Discussed 25th Amendment
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rosenstein Suggested He Secretly Record Trump and Discussed 25th Amendment Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
President Trump: "Rod, did you get approval for that wire from the last FISA warrant you signed ? Just making sure this is "by the book""

/sarc

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Unless you are Joe Biden.

You know, the former VP who often swam nude in front of his female Secret Service officers in his security detail.

Is this true?

What a way to be disrespectful to the women and men who put themselves at risk to keep you safe.....make them look at your wrinkly old bits.

Low class all the way. Him and his muslim boyfriend.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Trump is dangling that carrot in front of the douchebag reporters right now about the Thursday meeting. He's leaving them hanging. Hehe

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Is this true

That story has been around a while.
True? Perhaps.

One example:
https://www.usnews.com/news/bl...e-agents-book-claims

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Is this true

That story has been around a while.
True? Perhaps.

One example:
https://www.usnews.com/news/bl...e-agents-book-claims

Biden when he catches a female agent smirking - "I WAS IN THE POOL!"

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...as-talks-hit-impasse

Republican lawmakers called Wednesday for Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to be subpoenaed, amid an impasse in negotiating his testimony on reports he suggested secretly recording President Trump and invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office last year.

Rosenstein had been scheduled to appear Thursday before the House oversight and judiciary committees, but one aide told Fox News there is no confirmed date. On Wednesday afternoon, Fox News was told Rosenstein was not expected to appear for a closed-door meeting with the judiciary committee Thursday.

While talks may be ongoing, Florida GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and Arizona GOP Rep. Andy Biggs put out a statement saying Rosenstein balked -- and called on senior Republicans to issue a subpoena.

"I hope that a subpoena will impress upon DAG Rosenstein the gravity of our request, and I look forward to questioning him when he appears before the committee," Gaetz said in the statement.

Two sources close to the negotiations told Fox News earlier Wednesday that Rosenstein’s scheduled appearance on Capitol Hill before the House Judiciary Committee was reaching an impasse over the terms of the testimony. Some lawmakers are insisting that Rosenstein give a transcribed interview under oath -- the standard for congressional taskforce interviews.

But those close to Rosenstein prefer a meeting or briefing with the House Judiciary Committee chairman and other lawmakers, where there is no paper trail, the sources said.

A House Judiciary Committee aide on Wednesday left the door open for a possible resolution.

Fox News has requested comment from the Justice Department, asking what terms would be acceptable for an appearance and whether Rosenstein was unwilling to do a transcribed interview.

Sources said this is Rosenstein’s opportunity to tell his side of the story and set the record straight under oath.

Amid speculation that the deputy attorney general might be fired or quit, a meeting between Trump and Rosenstein was pushed off repeatedly -- until Monday, when the two met for 45 minutes aboard Air Force One, en route to a police conference in Florida. Trump said the conversation was "great," and he has no plans to fire Rosenstein.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sources said this is Rosenstein’s opportunity to tell his side of the story and set the record straight under oath.

Why would he want to do that?

Why would Trump want him to do that? Why would Trump permit him to do do?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So you’re saying Trump can handle this, stay out of it? OK by me.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
So you’re saying Trump can handle this, stay out of it? OK by me.

It is a clear case of executive privilege, which only Trump can assert, at least as to the communications between them.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.ad8e068a45fa

Shortly after Robert S. Mueller III was appointed to investigate possible coordination between President Trump’s campaign and the Kremlin, he was drawn into a tense standoff in which Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein and then-acting FBI director Andrew McCabe each urged the other to step aside from the case, according to people familiar with the matter.

At the time of the confrontation in mid-May 2017, tensions were running high at the FBI and Justice Department, and between Rosenstein and McCabe. Trump had just fired James B. Comey as the bureau’s director, and almost immediately afterward, FBI officials had opened a case into whether the president had obstructed justice .

Some in the bureau eyed Rosenstein warily, because he had authored a memo that was used by the administration to justify Comey’s termination. If the president had obstructed justice, they reasoned, Rosenstein may have played a role in that. Justice Department officials, meanwhile, were concerned that the FBI — and McCabe in particular — may have acted too hastily to open an investigative file on the president after Comey was fired and that the move could be painted as an act of anger or revenge.

The previously unreported episode involving Mueller, Rosenstein and McCabe — which occurred within days of Mueller’s becoming special counsel — underscores the deep suspicion between senior law enforcement officials who were about to embark on a historic, criminal investigation of the president. That mistrust has continued to this day, with defenders of each offering conflicting accounts of exactly what was said and meant in the days surrounding Mueller’s appointment.

The meeting came just days after a gathering of senior Justice Department officials — including McCabe and his key deputy — in which Rosenstein, according to McCabe, suggested secretly recording the president’s conversations to gather evidence against him.

Days later, there was another meeting, smaller and more tense.

McCabe was summoned to meet with Rosenstein and Mueller to talk about his possible recusal, these people said. While the accounts of current and former officials familiar with the confrontation differ in some key respects, they agree on the basic terms of the discussion — Rosenstein wanted McCabe out of the Russia probe, and McCabe felt differently, arguing that it was the deputy attorney general, not the head of the FBI, who should step away from the case.

McCabe argued that Rosenstein’s authoring of a memo — which criticized Comey’s handling of the earlier investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server when she was secretary of state — meant that the deputy attorney general was the one who should step away from the case.

“Andy was angry,” said one person familiar with the matter, adding that McCabe slapped the document down in front of Rosenstein at one point in the discussion.

In the end, neither Rosenstein nor McCabe recused from the Russia investigation, and it was clear in that meeting and after that Mueller would have a great degree of independence and control over his investigation, including management of Justice Department prosecutors and FBI agents detailed to him

The Rosenstein-McCabe relationship has come under renewed scrutiny as lawmakers have demanded answers about memos written by McCabe and his ­then-senior counsel, FBI lawyer Lisa Page, about the discussions on May 16, 2017, in which McCabe wrote that Rosenstein suggested recording the president and discussed the 25th Amendment.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some of these reporters ought to read the 25th Amendment and figure out how smart guys who do this for a living at a very high level could invoke the provisions effectively to accomplish the purpose.

Unless the President is in a drooling incoherent state, or barely able to remain conscienceness, or unable to do so, all those officials are not going to be tempted to call for his removal.

I can see McCabe pressing for this, but not Rosenstein.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Some of these reporters ought to read the 25th Amendment and figure out how smart guys who do this for a living at a very high level could invoke the provisions effectively to accomplish the purpose.

Unless the President is in a drooling incoherent state, or barely able to remain conscienceness, or unable to do so, all those officials are not going to be tempted to call for his removal.

You got it JAllen.
A guy was on Fox news today and said he has known Rod R for 18 years and he is very smart.
He said I do not know if he said anything about wearing a wire to record Trump, But I know he is too smart to think that you could use the 25th on Trump, so it never was discussed.
This guy was not a progressive.

It makes sense that Rod would not try that, however he might have suggested wearing a mike.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

You got it JAllen.
A guy was on Fox news today and said he has known Rod R for 18 years and he is very smart.
He said I do not know if he said anything about wearing a wire to record Trump, But I know he is too smart to think that you could use the 25th on Trump, so it never was discussed.
This guy was not a progressive.

It makes sense that Rod would not try that, however he might have suggested wearing a mike.

For what?

You can figure that all of these men are very smart if they have been able to hang on in the high stakes greasy pole that is DC. Not so smart lightweights get spun around a couple of times and banished to the provinces. Really smart but perennial losers stay longer but eventually are exposed and fade away.

quote:
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.
Art. 4, 25th Amendment

Seriously? A majority of the principal officers... Trump’s Cabinet...?

“Shall I wear a wire?”

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Even if a majority of the cabinet were to declare the president unable to discharge his duties, it still would require the VP agreement to make anything happen.

Note it says "unable" not "unfit"

The 25th amendment was written to cover the case where the president became incapacitated

And then even if the VP agreed, all the president has to do is write a letter that he has no disability. The President resumes his duties.

If the VP and majority of the cabinet want another crack at it, they have to address that to congress.

It then requires a 2/3 vote in both House and Senate to keep the president from resuming his office

With our current situation it is a fantasy for McCabe or Rosenstein or the DEMs to think they can defeat President Trump thru the 25th amendment.