SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Law Enforcement Tactics - Reasonable or Not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Law Enforcement Tactics - Reasonable or Not? Login/Join 
posted
I am a "lock them up and throw away the key" kind of guy who is fully supportive of law enforcement. My daughter dates a police officer, and I had the occasional professional collaboration with local and federal law enforcement before my retirement. I do think that law enforcement gets an enormous amount of unwarranted criticism. That said, I am also a realist. Not everybody who gets arrested is guilty. And not all actions by prosecutors are ethical. Some innocent men have spent decades in jail. One of the things that bugs me is the show business aspect of some law enforcement operations. Example - the arrest of Roger Stone, the elderly Trump associate. I believe Roger Stone lives alone. A dozen FBI Agents in full body armor with automatic weapons show up before dawn to make the arrest. I have seen drug houses raided with a smaller and less heavily armed raiding party. Stone was arrested and promptly released on bail. How is anyone that dangerous that warrants that level of a law enforcement response able to make bail in 10 minutes? If they are that dangerous, there should be no bail. And it's not just because Stone was a Trump associate. The same thing happened to Laurie Laughlin and her husband (and many of the others) involved with the college admissions scandal. Body Armor, automatic weapons, an arrest, and they make bail in no time. Don't get me wrong, arresting officers need to protect themselves, and certainly bring superior force to any situation. But does anyone really think that Aunt Becky is going to come out blasting away, rather than promptly calling her lawyer? To me this seems more like show business and also more intimidation and punishment before a conviction. Just my two cents. Any LEO want to set me straight if I am wrong?

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You're talking about a different game.

Real police vs Federalis.

Real police can't even get automatic weapons and serious body armor out of their vehicles unless either somebody is shooting at them, or a threat analysis with several liability checks has been done and it's nearly unquestionable that such equipment may be needed.

Federalis...ain't real police. (Most of them)

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety. You may have seen a big display on the news for that one arrest, but how do you know that agency/division/squad doesn't do the same thing for every similar arrest?

Add in high profile target with a lot to lose. Threat assessments may not appear to be what you'd think at first glance. High profile person may have more to lose than a gang member. Who is more inclined to violence in a given circumstance either against himself or others? Situation dependent...

And automatic weapons? Why because it appeared to be ARs? That's like the news saying every pistol is a Glock and every rifle an AK47...
Would you ever want to enter a house & arrest someone without body armor?

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Media wankfest to try and make someone a name.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Ding - Ding - Winner.

Same reason they do the public perp-walk.

Well that, and it's fun.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
in the Roger Stone case, CNN was informed such that they were there during the raid. Total made-for-TV stuff.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tactics you saw on TV are great for TV. A couple of detectives knocking on the door and arresting some old guy like a local police would do is not good enough for annual performance review for most feds.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

The filming of the arrest live leads me to believe this.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fed161. And let's not turn this into a Fed bashing thread. I know many fed's that are just as much the Police as most Police. Don't forget that a substantial number of the fed's were local or state Police before they became fed's. A couple of years ago the FBI took down a bank robbery crew near my daughters home. Shot it out and killed at least one. I doubt the play Police would do that. But back to the original post. I think some of the things law enforcement does as evidenced by the Stone thing is strictly for public relations, to give their public image a boost. How is is that cnn was across the street from Stones house just prior to the raid? We all know the answer to that.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's shameful, stupid, and FUBARed. Those officers and their commanders should be ashamed. Makes cop comedies halfway believable. Idiots all around.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this won't turn into a bash thread...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got plenty to say about this, but I'm going to let my signature line do the talking.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

That definitely was not my intent. Worked with several federal law enforcement agencies before I retired on fraud issues, fugitives where my agency had relevant information, and one case where a mentally ill person with a history of assaults had threatened a member of the President's family (not the current President). I have nothing but respect and admiration for almost all of them.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
quote:

That definitely was not my intent. Worked with several federal law enforcement agencies before I retired on fraud issues, fugitives where my agency had relevant information, and one case where a mentally ill person with a history of assaults had threatened a member of the President's family (not the current President). I have nothing but respect and admiration for almost all of them.

It may not have been your intent but there's a few people here who will take the opportunity to be negative about anything concerning law enforcement, at any level.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may not have been your intent but there's a few people here who will take the opportunity to be negative about anything concerning law enforcement, at any level.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7040029334/p/1

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heres how it worked for me:
When I received a warrant, no matter what the crime was, there was a "worksheet" attached to it.
Lots of info there concerning the address, where the suspect worked, past history, the cars the suspect drives, who he or she ran with, etc. If it was deemed to be a high risk warrant, which was defined as a suspect known to be violent, a risk to the community, a known threat to cops or armed, I referred it to SWAT to serve. Otherwise, I just watched the places and cars named on the worksheet and tried to catch my suspect out and about, hopefully in his car. He would be stopped in the car and this gave me opportunity to search the car. Which often led to other charges.
Never did I call the media. And taking a news crew along on high risk warrants subjects them to danger. It just aint done. Ever. If you wanted some media coverage of the arrest, you let the media film the suspect being "perp walked" across the parking lot to the booking room. Thats a lot safer for everybody. And I never did that either.
Anything else is BS drama.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^thats how we did it too Yoopersigs....simple easy and worked...thanksgiving is a great day to get folks who are good at ducking the cops...I had gotten several guys on thanksgiving, and a magistrate asked me to lay off until he was able to eat dinner with the family, then he came back in to get people situated...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

And there are those who will defend them no matter what they do.

That's life.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
If your comment is directed specifically to me, you have no idea what you're talking about. I had to arrest several officers and agents in 26+ years. It caused me a lot of grief from peers.

LEO should have the same rights to be considered innocent until proven guilty as anyone else. The public should not jump to conclusions until the investigation is concluded one way or the other. No one deserves to be judged solely in the court of public opinion, especially on incomplete video evidence which is so prevalent today.