SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas cans and gas can storage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas cans and gas can storage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
To carry the gas in your vehicle, I'd get a hitch mounted rack that you can strap the cans to. You can also strap an ice cooler on it to free up space inside.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a hitch mounted cargo carrier. That might work. By the way is there such a thing as premium gas without ethanol? Around me and the non-ethanol fuel is 87 octane. I have seen as high as 90 but never anything higher.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Shell use to offer a premium no alcohol, but I haven't seen if for sometime. I can purchase it now at the local HY-VEE store. The pure gas website usually lists the octane available at various places.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Your car will run fine on 90 octane. The computers will automatically adjust to it and prevent any damage. The engine will just make a little less power.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Is the short shelf life of gasoline on purpose/by design, and if so, caused by what/whom?

It seems like an exceptionally poor attribute. Why hasn't it be engineered out?

It's chemistry. Gas has a higher content of VOC's and they evaporate quickly from all but the best sealing containers. Diesel by comparison has far fewer VOC'c, doesn't produce nearly as many fumes, and will extinguish a lit match.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I like the idea of a hitch mounted cargo carrier. That might work. By the way is there such a thing as premium gas without ethanol? Around me and the non-ethanol fuel is 87 octane. I have seen as high as 90 but never anything higher.

Try vp racing fuels, they had a 100 octane unleaded with no ethanol, it's expensive though.

Their c9 is 94 octane unleaded
C10 is 100octane unleaded and some of them are sold in metal 5 gallon drums even.

Their small engine 4 cycle fuel is 94 octane and you can buy it in pints, gallons, 5 gallons, or 54 gallon drums.

Maybe mix a little in with ethanol free rec 90 if you need to. Rec 90 is easy enough to find in marina's and other places in Florida.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the input. This is not for a generator. I have a standby generator at home hooked up to 1000 gallon propane tank. My main issue during this hurricane was finding gas during the evacuation. I had a full tank but I was worried that there could be traffic and gas might not be easy to come by. I am trying to figure out how to store gas at home so that I can take it with me when I have to evacuate to Eliminate that concern. Also, now even after this storm gas is hard to come by. Supply is short and lines are very very long. It would be nice to have some gas at home and not worry about standing in long lines.

As for storage, I don't have any outbuildings at my house. It's garage, crawlspace or who knows? It's only a quarter acre lots there's not a lot of room to work with here.

I don't know how practical this would be, but you could add a flex fuel sensor to your car and have the ability to run E85 (which stores well when in the original sealed metal container.) I get 55 gallon drums of it from a company called Ignite

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pure-gas.org has a listing of all non-ethanol gas stations.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:

Deutsche Optik has a set of 4 20L cans for $156, free shipping. I have not confirmed it with them, but based on the description, these are almost certainly GELG-made.

I ordered a set of these with the nozzles. We'll see how they are.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Do not store gasoline under your house. Gas is very flammable, diesel less so.

Gas also has a short shelf life.

I would get a few 5 gal jerry cans. Fill them well before a storm. After the storm use the gas in your car while it's still good and then refill them again as needed.

This^^^ and remember that an almost empty gas can with fumes isn't something to store under your house either.
After they are completely empty, leave them outside in the sun with the top off until any residue has evaporated.

Posts: 9502 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Because of this thread I have started purchasing Wavian jerry cans. They are expensive but are well made. I like the fact that they are servicible (replacement gaskets, caps, locking pins, etc) and will most likely last a lifetime. I plan on getting three 20 liter cans and one 10 liter. I also purchased some of the non-CARB spouts off of eBay UK. I ordered one from Lexington Container but ordered the others from Wavian USA direct. Same price but free shipping there.

These things are awesome.

https://wavianusa.com/wavian-s...-gallon-fuel-systems

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Is the short shelf life of gasoline on purpose/by design, and if so, caused by what/whom?

It seems like an exceptionally poor attribute. Why hasn't it be engineered out?

Personally, I blame Big Oil. Specifically, John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil. In an effort to maximize Standard Oil's profits and become the richest man in the world (and possibly ever in inflation adjusted terms), he had his chemists constantly working to find uses for the waste by products that resulted from the refining of crude oil into the kerosene. It turned out gasoline was an excellent fuel for the new fangled internal combustion engine. As sales of automobiles powered by internal combustion took off in the 1900s, gasoline was in short supply. Crude only yielded 20% gasoline. Then a couple Standard Oil chemists figured out kerosene molecules under heat and pressure would break or crack into lighter molecules like gasoline. That was fortunate for Standard Oil as kerosene use for lighting homes around the world was declining due to new fangled invention: the light bulb. You can blame Big Electric, General Electric, and men like Thomas Edison, J.P. Morgan, Nikola Tesla, George Westinghouse Jr for that, but it's another fascinating story of how we got where we are.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

Atlantic British LTD has a set of 4 Wavian 20L (~5 gal) cans for 154.95+shipping (total for me was $205.84).

Deutsche Optik has a set of 4 20L cans for $156, free shipping. I have not confirmed it with them, but based on the description, these are almost certainly GELG-made.

I was checking out both of these websites and it appears to me that these cans are not actually
Wavian but rather are imitations for non-potable water use only and not for fuel storage.

I hope no one tells the gas its not supposed to be in that container.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Anyone compared the Wavian, Valpro etc. with Eagle gas cans? The Eagle cans have a slight edge with regard to price.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was checking out both of these websites and it appears to me that these cans are not actually
Wavian but rather are imitations for non-potable water use only and not for fuel storage.

My 10 liter can from Atlantic British

To be "gas cans" here in 'murica they'd need to be red and have a carb compliant spout.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Atlantic British LTD has a set of 4 Wavian 20L (~5 gal) cans for 154.95+shipping (total for me was $205.84).

Don't know about the others, but the jerry cans sold by Atlantic British are the real Wavian cans. I have 4 of them and I suspect the seller's prohibition against using for fuel is for legal reasons. After all, each can is embossed with the words "petrol highly flammable" on the opposite side from where "wavian" is embossed. Last I checked, water (whether potable or non-potable) isn't particularly flammable!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5gal VP Racing jugs with hose, not EPA spout. Regular pump gas and normal dosage of Sta-bil. FIFO 12 month rotation. I keep it out in my garden shed with my lawn tractor.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

I ordered a set of these with the nozzles. We'll see how they are.

Looking at the linked cans it says 'These jerry cans are designed for the shipment and temporary storage of liquids and petroleum products. All of our cans are stamped with: “Not for Fuel Use”.' Is that just some legal language to protect themselves, or are they really not meant for fuel?

ETA-If I had only read the next couple of posts...Thanks.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Those are some decent prices for the metal ones, I am barely resisting!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
For the past 6yrs I've stored 20gals in 5gallon cans.
The fuel is treated with Stabil 360°.
I drive my truck at least once a week or as needed & when it hits 1/4 tank (20gal tank) I use one of the 5gal cans to top it off.
The empty gets stabil added & goes in my bed (truck has a cap) and gets refilled.
I live very close to a gas station.
Then the freshly filled can goes to the end of the row.
I keep cycling the cans to keep the fuel fresh.
Just like you should do with canned food you store for natural disasters.

I do something similar. I keep 15 gallons on hand but use mostly for our ATV's. Ever spring and fall I'll replace the gas to make sure the gas stays fresh.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post