SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing a coworker screaming on the radio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing a coworker screaming on the radio Login/Join 
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
She needs someone to show her how it sounds when someone runs and screams in the radio. I used to do that until I heard the recording of transmissions and found out it sounded like wind noise and Pantera.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Daytime breaking and entering, homeowner caught him in the act. Badguy runs out.

Another officer found the suspect. Before any of us could get to her, the officer transmits that the bad guy was running.

All we could hear from there were broken radio transmissions, with screaming. We thought the worst. Went on for over a minute before I got there.

I bailed out and tackled badguy as he was running from the officer. Thank god it was just poor radio communication. My heart was in my knees until I saw she was ok.

Rookies... Wink

Page 2 and no one has asked? Confused Guess I'll do it:

Is she hot?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
How about being the one calling for help and the dispatcher tells you to stand by. Dispatcher later told me she didn't hear any stress in my voice and "code 3" didn't set in. All I was doing was initiating a pursuit, but when someone says code 3 over the air, folks stop talking and listen. It was my squad mate who alerted her to my call. Dispatcher told me next time I needed to sound like a rookie.

First department (15 sworn) had the absolute most inept dispatching. And I mean INEPT.

We had a mini riot with some Chicago transplants at a gas station one night. There happened to be 4 people working (two on shift, one officer in training, one guy on traffic OT) which is double the normal staffing. This is a town of 10,000 people in a small, rural county in Iowa, so our bigger concern was some of the locals trying to help and making things worse.

Officer calls for priority backup, specifically asks for every car the dispatcher can reach (County, neighboring counties, state patrol) because an officer had injured his ankle in the scrum and was on the ground, so we had 3 uniforms and 8 or 9 problems to handle. Exchange went something like this.

Officer: County, 215, 10-78! We need--GET ON THE FUCKING GROUND!--We need every car you can send us, now! 10-78 priority, officer injured.

Dispatch (15 seconds later): 215, 10-4

*Switches over to Sheriff's Office Ops Channel* (our radios were digital and the SO's were not, so they could not hear us, but we could hear them.)

Dispatch: 79-10, County. John Smith called about your 10-50 from earlier. He just wanted you to know that he found his insurance card, and he's going to be coming in tomorrow to show it to you.

79-10: 10-4, Thanks.

(30 seconds pass)

Dispatch: 79-10, County. Also, 10-43, 215 is requesting priority backup for a large scale fight at (Location.) They also have an officer injured.

In total, it was over 2 minutes from the end of the call for help, until it was first relayed to the deputies, and they had 2 dispatchers working. Their philosophy was one person was in charge of the radios, and as long as they were not swamped, the other person was just a backup and didn't have to jump in.

I'm glad not to work there anymore.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
We had two calls last year. Nobody was screaming, but it was just as gut-wrenching.

In February we had a corporal killed and a deputy hit 5 (maybe 6) times.

In June a homicide suspect pulled an M-4 on a detective sergent and two patrol deputies.
The sergeant took a fragment to the left arm and two cars were DQed.

Both subjects DRT, but for me the two 45 minute code three runs to the scene were seemingly hours long.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post