SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We need new luggage what do you use
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We need new luggage what do you use Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I had posted a question about a week ago about Viking River Cruises.
It looks like this will be the trip for our 30th anniversary.
The luggage we are currently using is almost 30 years old.
It was given to us as a gift by my parents right before we were married.
It is a heavy duty cloth material and still in good shape.
The reason we may want to replace it is because it only has two wheels and is difficult to maneuver.
Everything I have looked at so far is either a thin plastic hard side suitcase of some sort of thin nylon type material. It does not look very durable.
So my question is what are you using and how is it holding up?

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Go to eBay and buy a lightly used Briggs & Riley suitcase. Will last forever, and they have an unconditional lifetime warranty.

If you have the $$, you can also buy new, but they are $500 a suitcase new. eBay will be $100-200 for almost new suitcases.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve had really good performance from LL Bean’s Sportsman’s line of luggage. I first bought a couple pieces 25 years ago and it held up, but needed something more for a trip to Europe. I bought a wheeled pullman, a wheeled carry-on sized, and a bag for tablet, books, headphones, etc. they’re attractive and well built. I would buy them again.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't advise you on what to buy, if you want the shock of your life, find a mall with both a Samsonite and a TUMI in it. Go to Samsonite, you'll be shocked when you see what their stuff goes for, then head to TUMI and be completely blown away. Luggage is freaking expensive!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Go cheap. Target, Kohl’s, etc.

My Sampsonite carry-on from Kohl’s is going on 20 years and I did a lot of travel. I even got 5000 points from Delta after they tore it. Took it to a cobbler for a cheap repair. Bags get tossed around. No point crying about the it. Had another torn bag replaced by Air France.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Travel pro is my go to. I travel 20 plus weeks a year and used to do double that. I went through several Samsonites and still on my first set of travel pro.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 3 piece Samsonite set from Marshalls (a discount store) for around $300.
They're all hard sided, roller, fit in once another for storage, lighter than my American Traveler soft side roller luggage. They even have a built in TSA lock.
Given how much I travel for work now, it's been worth every penny.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I travel quite frequently for business and was going through suitcases yearly at best. Broken handles, broken wheels, cracked cases, ripped zippers, you name it. I needed a new solution so while waiting at airports, I started looking at what the flight crews used.

They all pretty consistently use Travelpro luggage., so I went and bought one of those. It was the best thing I did and my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. The quality is top notch, very thick material, smart design, the wheels roll very smoothly and freely, they're also magnetic and will center themselves so the bag wants to roll straight not go all over the place. The handles are held together with real hardware, not cheap pop rivets. It's a carry on size as I NEVER check luggage. I've had it a bit over a year now and have traveled from San Diego to Amsterdam and so many places in between and it's holding up great.

TravelPro Link

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like travelpro and I have the 4 wheel casters. But you may want to reconsider.

It doesn’t seem you travel often and your present luggage has served you well.

The 4 wheel luggage do not have a parking brakes. In a hotel parking lot it sidewalk, they have ran away from me. I can envision the same thing going up the plank on a cruise ship. But I imagine some crew will bring your luggage on board for you. In that case, even better they have the old luggage to throw around.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Go to eBay and buy a lightly used Briggs & Riley suitcase. Will last forever, and they have an unconditional lifetime warranty.

If you have the $$, you can also buy new, but they are $500 a suitcase new. eBay will be $100-200 for almost new suitcases.

+1 on Briggs & Riley. I bought a suitcase from them nearly 30 years ago. One reason was their unconditional lifetime guarantee. My suitcase finally showed the ravages of many years of travel (both job-related and personal), so I contacted them for a repair. They agreed to accept the repair without equivocation.

A lot changes over 30 years. I was offered a steep discount on a new suitcase in lieu of a repair. I took them up on their offer, and now have a brand-new "Domestic Carry-on Expandable" (retail: $569) that I expect to last me another 30 years!

Yes, they are expensive. Quality is beyond a price tag, in my opinion.

https://www.briggs-riley.com

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Last year, for a 10-day trip to Europe, my wife bought Travelpro and I bought Eagle Creek. Really can't tell much difference between the two.

But we bought two-wheel types. To our way of thinking the downsides of four wheels exceeded the upsides.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I can't advise you on what to buy, if you want the shock of your life, find a mall with both a Samsonite and a TUMI in it. Go to Samsonite, you'll be shocked when you see what their stuff goes for, then head to TUMI and be completely blown away. Luggage is freaking expensive!

My wife bought TUMI suitcase for $800 a couple of years ago and the dam thing lasted less than a year. She wanted to get another one ( NFW) and I went to Costco and bought a set of semi hard sided luggage for $99 and those have lasted several years..

Buy at Costco or Sams...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
travelpro.
Maxlite is cheaper & more than adequate if you don't travel often (3-4 times per year). I have a check bag in that line. $100-150 depending on size you need. My wife takes 2x 50.5lb bags to MX when we go visit her parents. doesn't matter how long we're there for, there will be 100lbs of shit - the 4 wheel bag makes me happy, the stupid roller-duffel she has does not.

My carry-on is a crew 4-wheel & I'm really happy with it. I think it was $175, the max lite was <100, but the crew is a little tougher & has really nice wheels & handle (you'd be surprised how much you notice that when you lug the same bag through airport after airport).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using the larger Uncle Mikes duffles.
Pretty tough.
I also use LA Rescue bags. Very good and come in less "Tactical" colors.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Costco for suitcases and Amazon for carryon duffles.

The airline will eradicate it anyway.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel 6-9 months out of the year, often on the road and moving every day, and live out of a suitcase a lot of the time. My main suitcase is a Luggageworks, with an aluminum frame and steel carry handle. It's a bit heavier than most, but this one has been going strong for nearly fifteen years of heavy abuse. The only part I've had to replace has been the inline-skate wheels and bearings.

Travelpro makes good luggage that holds up well.

Some of the ebags products hold up fairly well, too. I use one of their smaller bags for carry-on for laptop, etc, as it fits under the seat nicely.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I travel pretty frequently for work and have been using Travelpro for about 5 years now without issue.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Luggageworks

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Another Briggs & Riley

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I prefer Kroger paper bags. Apparently there is a law around here against boarding a Greyhound Bus without one.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post