SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inconsiderate in the Classifieds
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inconsiderate in the Classifieds Login/Join 
Banned
posted
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4480090464

Not maintaining your thread in the Classifieds is both rude and inconsiderate.
I am posting this separately as I have learned my lesson about posting on ads with no intent to buy. Although I was a little more than looking. One more ass chewing and it would fall off.

meanwhile please keep your ads up to date. Thanks

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
This would make for an excellent rant...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classifieds is almost unusable these days.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
And with a giant avatar to boot!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

Although I rarely visit there, why is it unusable?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You know people are desperate when they think an ad not maintained for 6 months is 100% valid... it's been happening all over the place, not just here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
almost as bad as when someone asks for advice and never replies how it turned out. I always figure they fubar'd the project and don't want to fess up.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's just common courtesy to update a thread with what advise worked. That gives the next person something to research if faced with a similar circumstances.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Although I rarely visit there, why is it unusable?

It's just full of these giant threads that get updated sporadically and it's a nightmare to sort stuff out. Why people feel the need to maintain one classified threads for everything they ever sell is beyond me.

I can't tell you how many times I've clicked a tyre I my to realize it hasn't been updated (just someone commenting on something bumping it) or I have to sort through a dozen sold items before finding what's actually for sale.

The best way to handle a classified section was on a knife forum I was on. You started a thread and the order was locked you could not bump it to the top. Of your item didn't sell, you could relist it after 7 days.

It made following along with what's new, what yoive already seen etc super super simple.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hal.(mrmn50)

People that post in the classifieds can "follow" and then update the state. Sold, withdrawn dropped in the toilet and no longer fit for consumption.

A "classified" is not an AMRAAM, which you fire and forget.

How much effort does it take to own your ad?

Why expect others to guess on the status.

If this place becomes a pigsty, it's on the membership that leaves their crap all over, with no concern for others.

-sm

From the Graham Cracker and Matt Class of 1962

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've clicked a tyre I my to realize it hasn't been updated (just someone commenting on something bumping it) or I have to sort through a dozen sold items before finding what's actually for sale.

Years ago, I set up an email alert for any new ad in our classifieds. I do my sorting in my sigforum email folder and never really visit the classifieds here at the site unless there is an ad I need to communicate about.

Every few days I just delete most of them and leave the ones I might have interest in. It works pretty good. It's surprising how many new listings are deleted soon after being posted.

Every few months I delete them all.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You know people are desperate when they think an ad not maintained for 6 months is 100% valid... it's been happening all over the place, not just here.

As the potential buyer who bumped the add and emailed the seller, I can assure you there was no desperation involved. I was simply searching the classifieds for a specific pistol that I was somewhat interested in and found the add. It seemed worthwhile to email the seller and when he didn't respond to my email I bumped the add thinking my email might have gone to his spam folder. Just part of the fun of the chase when in acquisition mode.

I was not terribly put off when the seller emailed me to say the pistol was no longer available, stuff happens and people forget things sometime.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Why people feel the need to maintain one classified threads for everything they ever sell is beyond me.

Should find the answer here

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What I really hate is when people post stuff for sale that I can't pay for! Some people!

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I will confess that I've done it once. Roll Eyes
Put up a WTS for a few accessories. Sold most of it, except one. Then, don't know why, but I totally for forgot about the ad and let it sink. About a month later, I suddenly remembered it and checked, and there was a member who posted several weeks earlier that he'll take the grips. I said, shit, how embarrassing, and I just shipped him the grips free. He said he would pay for them, but I said no need.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It happens, especially if it gets no interest right away and it's not some item you're tripping over every day to remind you. I've forgotten stuff and missed the chance at a sale a couple times because I wasn't able to answer a question.

On the other end, I have something for sale on one forum right now that I bump the ad once about every eight months or more. It's been listed for four years. I've sold a couple things this way, one was listed even longer, maybe six years? Fairly specialized items, so when someone is searching for one they will find your old add and will take a shot and ask if you still have it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why people feel the need to maintain one classified threads for everything they ever sell is beyond me.
We are told not to have multiple WTS ads.

Can you imagine what it would be like if a person had a dozen or more items for sale, and a separate ad for each one? That person could monopolize the first page of the classified section.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

We are told not to have multiple WTS ads.

Can you imagine what it would be like if a person had a dozen or more items for sale, and a separate ad for each one? That person could monopolize the first page of the classified section.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the 15 page threads that have been open for two years.

If you have 10 things to sell, defiutely get it together in one. If you sell most or all of it and 3 months later, have 5 things to sell, start a new thread.

Example
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6710050644

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the 15 page threads that have been open for two years.

If you have 10 things to sell, defiutely get it together in one. If you sell most or all of it and 3 months later, have 5 things to sell, start a new thread.

Example
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6710050644

Bad example for your complaint. DaBigBR is a dealer, and that's his ongoing inventory. You want him to start a new thread every time he sold off a few things?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a for sale thread that was posted recently. On 5 Jun I said I would take it. Crickets. Yesterday I posted to another guy who wanted to buy something, don’t bother and rescinded my purchase intent. Things happen but you wanted to sell it. We didn’t cold call you.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post