SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will E85 harm a non E85 vehicle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will E85 harm a non E85 vehicle? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé
Higher Octane does not by itself mean higher horsepower. In fact it's quite the opposite. Especially if you're using E85 in a vehicle designed for regular gas.

Correct, but in the case of vehicles designed for it, such as the Fusion referenced in my post that's designed for it, the computer will automatically advance the ignition timing and / or alter the fuel map, thereby achieving an admittedly modest power increase.

In a vehicle not designed for it, it'll do all the bad things people have listed in the thread up to and including severe engine damage.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is use the gas recommended by the manufacturer for the most efficient and best performance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to the link for non-ethanol gas stations and found one not too far from where my wife works.
I called and the woman that answered said "yes, we carry ethanol free gas". I asked was it 87 octane? Her answer was, "no, it's E85".

Posts: 231 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator73:
Went to the link for non-ethanol gas stations and found one not too far from where my wife works.
I called and the woman that answered said "yes, we carry ethanol free gas". I asked was it 87 octane? Her answer was, "no, it's E85".

Big Grin

Was her name Joseph Heller?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Use whatever octane your car is recommended for, extra octane is not needed unless you car is knocking (the knock sensor should have retarded your timing), your MPG should have dropped. Continual use of E85 for your vehicle is not recommended, this 2 time use shouldn't have done any permanent damage, as stated it is not good on rubbers and plastics in your fuel system. I would only use E85 if I was in the middle of the desert, low on gas and that was all that was available. If you want to use a fuel system cleaner, only use Redline SI-1 or Chevron Techron, these both contain PEA (PolyEther Amine.) A very powerful solvent, is considered to be the best fuel system cleaner. There may be a couple other brands using it - as it is a Chevron proprietary additive is not universally used (cost.) You can get this at a lower ratio using Chevron gas - you can get 10X using the additive. A lot fuel system "cleaners" are some sort of alcohol as the solvent so you won't be helping by adding more of it to your gas - read the labels.

https://www.redlineoil.com/pro....aspx?pid=80&pcid=12

https://www.redlineoil.com/con...-1%20Tech%20Info.pdf

https://w3apps.phillips66.com/...f2016&SubFormat=USDS

http://www.techron.com/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Higher Octane does not by itself mean higher horsepower. In fact it's quite the opposite. Especially if you're using E85 in a vehicle designed for regular gas.

I'm not. GM trucks can (for the most part) run E85. GM publishes both numbers. The power gain is because of the engine being able to advance timing. The current 5.3 goes from 355 HP to 385 HP on the stuff.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[QUOTE]My other thought is just drive and stop daily to fill with regular gas during the week.

One tank of the E85 - or even, apparently, two - isn't going to harm anything. Just don't make a habit o

Yes it can. A car from 2002 it will eat up fuel lines and seals and stuff like that in the fuel system that were never ever made for 85% alcohol(ethanol)......

OP- try to water it down with 93 octane gasoline.

Jimmy.. You are Wrong.. any car made since 2001 has to have fuel lines that are compatible with Ethanol.. E15 which is mandated in all states has Ethanol. and 93 oct does not have less Ethanol.. Octain is no a problem with E85 is is much higher than gas. if he wants to dilute it he needs Recreational gas with 0 Ethanol.

Correct, fuel lines that are compatible with 10-15% ethanol NOT 85% ethanol. E85 will do a real number on fuel lines, fuel system seals,fuel pump and o-ring tips on that 15 year old toyota.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[QUOTE]My other thought is just drive and stop daily to fill with regular gas during the week.

One tank of the E85 - or even, apparently, two - isn't going to harm anything. Just don't make a habit o

Yes it can. A car from 2002 it will eat up fuel lines and seals and stuff like that in the fuel system that were never ever made for 85% alcohol(ethanol)......

OP- try to water it down with 93 octane gasoline.

Jimmy.. You are Wrong.. any car made since 2001 has to have fuel lines that are compatible with Ethanol.. E15 which is mandated in all states has Ethanol. and 93 oct does not have less Ethanol.. Octain is no a problem with E85 is is much higher than gas. if he wants to dilute it he needs Recreational gas with 0 Ethanol.

Correct, fuel lines that are compatible with 10-15% ethanol NOT 85% ethanol. E85 will do a real number on fuel lines, fuel system seals,fuel pump and o-ring tips on that 15 year old toyota.
Incorrect on the e15 portion. Always a good idea to read the entire thread before posting (see bottom of pg 2).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23212 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post