SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Officer involved shooting in Charlotte
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officer involved shooting in Charlotte Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I did not post about this when it happened. It was my shift, my officer, but a night I happened to be off.

This editorial couldn’t be any better written, except there a little confusion when she transitions from another incident currently in the news to hers.

https://www.charlotteobserver....6hg0u_TqrzKfGCYYsNfM

In a split-second, a CMPD officer shot my husband and saved my life
BY KERI WILLIAMS
AUGUST 15, 2019 12:43 PM, UPDATED 7 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGO
Play Video
Duration 4:25CMPD officer shoots and kills man during a domestic call

A Charlotte police officer responds to a domestic disturbance call and then shoots and kills a man in his home. BY WBTV

Officer Wende Kerl, who shot and killed Danquirs Franklin on March 25th in a Burger King in West Charlotte, will not be charged. I believe that’s good news for us all.

Two weeks ago, on August 2nd, my husband of 17 years was shot and killed by a CMPD officer. My husband had been holding my sister and me at gunpoint in the corner of a room where we could not be seen from the windows. He made us beg for our lives, said he was going to kill us, and shot my sister through her legs.

My husband was a muscular, ex-soldier – clearly suffering a delusional and manic mental break – and there was no real chance we could take the gun and turn it on him. But we had to try. We fought back and wrestled with him for the gun. This enabled my sister to break free and run for help.

As a result, my husband stood and walked out into an open area of the room to see where she’d gone. A couple yards away from me, he turned and raised his gun. I had no doubt he was about to make good on his threat to shoot me. I had nowhere to run and no way to protect myself. That’s when the sliding glass door behind my husband shattered and he fell to the floor. It took several moments for me to realize he’d been shot by police.

I have yet to meet the brave man, CMPD officer John Juhasz, who saved my life. But I think of him often. It took incredible skill and courage to pull the trigger. Had he delayed, even one or two seconds, my husband would have pulled his gun’s trigger first.

As I read the news about Officer Kerl’s case, this is the question that haunts me: What if Officer Juhasz had not trusted his instincts and second guessed himself? What if he’d hesitated because he thought of Officer Kerl’s investigation and considered the enormous personal risk he was taking? By taking that shot he risked public scorn, his career, his retirement, his family, and even criminal charges.

The whole sequence of events – from my husband standing, pacing across the room and turning around, to him aiming the gun – took only a few seconds. My life depended on Officer Juhasz’s skill, instincts, and courage. Had he stopped to think of himself even for two or three seconds, that would have cost me my everything.

This devastating tragedy has changed my life, and my children’s lives forever. It will take years – perhaps a lifetime – to fully unravel the situation in my mind. But what I do know is this: When law enforcement responds to a dangerous situation we need them to focus on assessing the threat and responding, not second-guessing their instincts out of fear.

In some cases, with the hindsight of slow-motion video playback, we may interpret the situation differently than the officer did at that crucial moment. Many are saying video footage does not show a lethal threat though Danquirs was armed. Perhaps. But officers are not superhuman. They don’t have the ability to do an instant replay or zoom in. They aren’t infallible and have to make split second decisions. That doesn’t mean they deserve to be vilified and accused of ill-motives.

I for one am willing to give Officer Kerl the benefit of the doubt that she acted in good faith and did her job to the best of her abilities just as I believe Officer Juhasz did.

While the unfortunate death of anyone – including Danquirs and my husband – is a horrible tragedy, we must not always assume the worst of the officers who acted in the situation. By vilifying officers who act in good faith we are promoting a defensive police culture that could easily cost someone their lives. It very well could have cost me mine.

Keri Williams lives with her family in Charlotte, NC. She is a mental health and adoption advocate. She blogs at www.raisingdevon.com or find her on social media @raisingdevon

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver....YYsNfM#storylink=cpy

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That all looks like the Officer was well trained chongo. Must have come down to pure instinct to see and take action against a threat. Curious if a Duty side arm was used or rifle ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for everyone involved.
The wife, her sister, the well trained and courageous officer and yes, the demented, deceased husband.

Very sad.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
That all looks like the Officer was well trained chongo. Must have come down to pure instinct to see and take action against a threat. Curious if a Duty side arm was used or rifle ?

I don’t think that information has been released publicly yet.

The officer was one of the best on the shift. It mentions his hire date in other articles, but he came from another, much much much larger, agency to work for Charlotte and had several years of experience total. Great cop.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
It’s a tough job you guys do! Takes a special type of person to do it. Sounds like your officer made a difference that night...kudos!

We had an officer get shot here a few days ago...he was intervening in a shooting and ended up getting shot three times...he underwent two surgeries so far and is expected to do well...while this wasn’t in my tactical teams area of responsibility we did get activated that night and spent 8 hours going door to door with three other teams...the shooter is still on the loose but we know who he is at least. I’m not LE, I’m one of the few medics on our team....I give LE a LOT of respect for what they do every day!

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with RichardC that it is sad for everyone. However, had the officer not done what he did when he did it could have been sadder.

On another note, with all the anti-cop feces we so often hear, it is really nice to have that woman so clearly lay out what some of us know. It is a tough, dangerous job. It certainly doesn’t need to be made tougher by second guessing the man in the fray from the comfort of a Monday morning quarterbacks’ armchair.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post