SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long Range Internet Help Problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Internet Help Problem Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I just installed 2 Linksys Velop MX5300 Mesh WiFi 6 routers.

That product is not even remotely close to the right solution for this application.

quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Can you cite something for this? The BICSI TDMM (14th Edition, 2020, Chapter 5, Horizontal pathways) has all sorts of rules ...

Well, you got me there. Nope. Perhaps it's just something that's been passed-down over the years?

The explanation I recall is that UTP was designed to be run in "free air," and that installing it in metallic conduit can result in that conduit acting as an antenna and coupling noise into the cable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Would running an AP in the barn, powered via a PoE router, in the house, work/solve the power issue?

Are fiber optic terminations the kind of thing someone can work through on their own?

I know an electrician who, regularly, does ethernet networks. He said he knows how to do fiber optic ones, in theory - and worked for a company which installed them - but essentially suggested avoiding them.

(We are all in the same building, and nothing over 140', but we are thinking about running ethernet to some other buildings/I'm thinking about doing something similar with my shed.)

Posts: 5726 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this exact issue to my horse barn. I run two engenius bridges one on each end it’s works mint. Stable easy reliable fast etc. use it for stall cameras and have never had an issue. Pulling cable is silly for this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Would running an AP in the barn, powered via a PoE router, in the house, work/solve the power issue?

Then he's running 175 feet or better of UTP or STP underground. A lot of work and there's the lightning susceptibility thing.

quote:
Are fiber optic terminations the kind of thing someone can work through on their own?

Yes.

quote:
I know an electrician who, regularly, does ethernet networks. He said he knows how to do fiber optic ones, in theory - and worked for a company which installed them - but essentially suggested avoiding them.

What was his reasoning?

quote:
(We are all in the same building, and nothing over 140', but we are thinking about running ethernet to some other buildings/I'm thinking about doing something similar with my shed.)

In a commercial/business situation: If fiber is an option I would absolutely go no other way. There wouldn't even be a discussion. But wireless bridges wouldn't give me any heartburn, assuming a clear LoS.

As for your shed: How far away and is there a clear LoS?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post