SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here comes the judge... maybe. [Update in OP - 1/10/18]
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here comes the judge... maybe. [Update in OP - 1/10/18] Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Several months ago, I was approached by a small group of respected colleagues who were looking for a candidate to replace one of the current sitting Circuit Court judges in my county.

After much discussion and waiting to see if I was going to be offered a position as a federal ALJ in September (I made cert, which translates to the short, short short list, but wasn't selected), I decided to go for it.

So... I'm just going to leave this here. I'll post a little more of the back story later.

Robert W. Burton for Circuit Court Judge

Primaries are on June 26.

If you're on the Facebook, I'd appreciate some likes. Gotta spool up the social media presence.

If you happen to live in Maryland (particularly AA Co) and have nothing better to do this Thursday evening, feel free to drop by my (free) fundraiser and say hi.

UPDATE:

By popular request, our online contribution form is now live.

The Facebook page... well, I don't quite know what to say about that. FB has apparently decided that it needs to be 'verified' for whatever reason. From what I can tell, that is a process shrouded in secrecy and can take months. Not sure whether there's a viable workaround, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a good one.

Thanks, all!

-Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BurtonRW,

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Robert. Don't know you, but your almost 12 yr presence here tells me something. We need folks with unbiased integrity.

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Good luck, or break a leg, or whatever you say for judgeships.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
That is great! We need more good people willing to serve!

I clicked on your Facebook link from your campaign page to go like it, but I get this error after clicking the link:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Crap! (thanks)

Can you find it if you search for “Friends for Rob Burton“?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Crap! (thanks)

Can you find it if you search for “Friends for Rob Burton“?

-Rob

Here's what I get:

- I think it's just a permission issue on the page you've created

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
[Sigh]

I’ll kill the FB link as soon as I can and figure it out.

Thanks.

-Rob

A=A

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
[Sigh]

I’ll kill the FB link as soon as I can and figure it out.

Thanks.

-Rob

Let me know if you need someone to test it out when you get a chance to look at it.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
BurtonRW. Would you please post here when online contributions are made available at http://www.electrobburton.org/ ?

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Come election time, you'll get my votes!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
I'll drive up and cast my ballot. Wink

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
This is great news, Rob.
Best wishes for your campaign, and I hope for nothing but success for you!

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What is a circuit court in the county? General jurisdiction?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What is a circuit court in the county? General jurisdiction?

Yep.

District Court (one or two per county) = Small claims, traffic, minor criminal, small tort actions.

Circuit Court (one per county) = all jury trials, large tort actions, appeals from district court, appeals from administrative agencies, probate, other mattters of General jurisdiction, etc.

Court of Special Appeals (one in Annapolis) = appeals by right from Circuit Courts on errors of law, etc.

Court of Appeals = State high court, by cert only for the most part.

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
Yeah! We can all get on the voting bus now!!

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vote early and often! Good luck!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Very cool Rob!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you!

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post