SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Francisco to give $1,000 monthly stipend to pregnant Black, Pacific Islander women
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Francisco to give $1,000 monthly stipend to pregnant Black, Pacific Islander women Login/Join 
posted
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wel...ck/story?id=73024719

A new initiative will help 150 mothers starting in 2021.

Pregnant Black and Pacific Islander women in San Francisco will get a $1,000 monthly supplement during and after their pregnancy in a first of its kind initiative meant to help improve health outcomes for both the mom and the baby.

Starting next year, 150 women will receive the supplement for the duration of their pregnancy and the first six month of their baby's life. The new initiative, called the Abundant Birth Project, has the goal of eventually providing the supplement to women for up to two years after pregnancy.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sweet racist policy there. Good looking out SF! If you're 1/2 black or half PI do you get $500?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Since it's SF if Asian or White women identify as black they will also get this right. I mean that's how they do things in SF.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
SF is very wealthy, high taxes, high income, high cost of living, $1K a month won't rent a box in the Tenderloin...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I was raised differently.
Having kids is expensive. If you can't afford the bills,
don't have them.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
But not Latina mothers?

Sorry, I meant "LatinX people who menstruate". It is SF, after all.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And the plantation expands...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While well intentioned, that $1k is merely a drop in the bucket given the overwhelming high costs of living in the city; that said, there's a very small number of Blacks and Pacific Islanders living in SF to begin with. Nevertheless, this program is more along the lines of encouraging irresponsible parenting and reliance of govt assistance. How about investing that money into things that are more realistic and actionable like....birth control, family education, financial literacy, adult civics and economics etc.

If they were really wanted to see what kind of impact this study would have, they'd have tried it in a smaller community such as Sacramento or, Stockton, where that assistance would be more impactful. Where's the money for this coming from:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/ar...program-15566923.php
quote:
The Abundant Birth Project received an initial grant from the Hellman Foundation and has since gone on to also receive $1.1 million from Jack Dorsey’s #startsmall campaign (Twitter), $200,000 from Genentech, and $200,000 from the San Francisco Department of Public Health. Additional funders include California Preterm Birth Initiative at UCSF, WKKF (Kellogg Foundation), San Francisco Health Plan, Tipping Point, Economic Security Project, the Walter & Elise Haas Fund (Levi's), San Francisco Foundation (FB cofounder Chris Hughes) and Friedman Family Foundation (Milton Friedman).

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I can't fathom the type of person who wakes up in the morning and decides this is the way to spend their money.

Oh wait... It's not Their money.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
San Francisco to give $1,000 monthly stipend to pregnant Black, Pacific Islander women

I predict a sharp uptick in births about 9 months from now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm off to buy shoe polish & a pillow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just typical lefty BS. This is just more encouragement to run around popping out babies for bucks and the taxpayers foot the bill.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“ Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!". Nikita Khrushchev

I can still see the man pounding the podium with his shoe and hollearring.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Since it's SF if Asian or White women identify as black they will also get this right. I mean that's how they do things in SF.

Son of a...you beat me to it.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I feel like a pregnant Pacific Islander. Where's my check?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I identify as a black Pacific islander woman, where's my money you white devils.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And anyone who believes that mommy is going to spend that $1000 a month on the health of her and/or the child stand on your head.....

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
All valid comments.

An expectant white mother needs financial help, but she doesn't qualify because she is the wrong color?? And San Francisco does not consider that racist?? A curious question. If the expectant mother is having twins, do they double the amount of the check?

Their choices of lifestyle, drugs/alcohol, personal health priorities, have no influence in the well being of the newborn??

In volunteer work, I was asked to assist people to get off welfare. On the whole, those I "assisted" didn't want to get off welfare, they wanted more $$. Most likely this policy will only encourage such to make choices that will qualify for more $$. It will make the problem worse, not better. And the typical gov't pattern is to ignore/deny that reality.

Any bets that in six months the numbers will be notably higher than the 150 they mention? I might ask, with 150 people each getting $1K per month, what is the administrative/overhead/bureaucracy cost above that $150K per month?? And how big is San Francisco's spending deficit??

quote:
. . . I identify as a black Pacific islander woman . . .

Maybe you should get $2K per month.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

I predict a sharp uptick in births about 9 months from now.

And, I predict a sharp uptick in cocaine-exposed pregnancies and birth defects about nine months from now.

"Most women who are addicted to cocaine are of childbearing age. Estimates suggest that about 5 percent of pregnant women use one or more addictive substances, and there are around 750,000 cocaine-exposed pregnancies every year. "

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publ...maternal-cocaine-use

"Babies born to mothers who use cocaine during pregnancy are often prematurely delivered, have low birth weights and smaller head circumferences, and are shorter in length than babies born to mothers who do not use cocaine. ...

Using sophisticated technologies, scientists are now finding that exposure to cocaine during fetal development may lead to subtle, yet significant, later deficits in some children. These include behavior problems (e.g., difficulties with self-regulation) and deficits in some aspects of cognitive performance, information processing, and sustained attention to tasks—abilities that are important for the realization of a child’s full potential. Some deficits persist into the later years, with prenatally exposed adolescents showing increased risk for subtle problems with language and memory. Brain scans in teens suggests that at-rest functioning of some brain regions—including areas involved in attention, planning, and language—may differ from that of non-exposed peers."

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Doling out benefits based on race? This wouldn’t survive a fourteenth amendment equal protection challenge. What an irresponsible waste of money to create a program like this.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post