SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona? Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Beautiful, and I have also found baking bread in Dutch ovens in the oven to yield the best results.

Commercial bakeries use steam injection ovens to keep the air inside moist so the bread rises better, and Dutch ovens are the closest you can get to that at home (evaporated water from the bread stays inside the Dutch oven).

Thanks- that is good insight on the commercial techniques.

Our biggest learning curve was around the sourdough starter. We were keeping the starter glass jar on the kitchen counter in the open. This was still during winter temps here in PA and the door we used for the dog outside time was right there. This meant that the cold draft from the door hit the starter.
Once we moved the starter jar to a constant "warm" temperature our starter took off properly.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I made a final trip to Sam's Club for awhile. All our freezers are full, so I have no more room. My mom is in a nursing home and they are locked down, she was running low on old people wipes, I got one of the last two there. They had a good assortment of stuff all things considered, but meat, cleaning supplies and prepper food were capped at one per member. I figured they will be hit hard this weekend. They actually had the POM half ply TP, people were buying that up in droves. Lots of milk and water available, I got everything I needed except for some Jarlsberg cheese. I did some defensive ammo purchases online while the prices were still cheap, got some 10mm when I don't own a 10mm. I've been working on growing my neckbeard out. We're still technically on spring break, so no guidance from school yet if we are getting lessons, we've been holding school each morning, the 2, 5, and 7 yr old are probably learning more. Next up is potty training the 2yr old.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Made another run on the liquor store.

Nice prepping. Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
just waiting to find toilet paper and food in stock again... Roll Eyes

Went to the grocery store last night for a couple items there were two packages of my toilet paper in stock. I didn't need it, but somehow I was magically drawn to it. Picked up a 9 pack of jumbo rolls, I couldn't resist for some reason. I'm not sure what it is about human nature that craves TP in time of uncertainty, maybe hugging the TP will lessen my anxiety about not having any work?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
This rationing shit is counter-productive, because it forces people to go shopping more frequently and risking more exposure.

I hoarded before hoarding was cool, mostly because I hate shopping and it meant fewer trips to the store. Well that and zombies.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got two bottles from the linker store on Wed....I know it’s coming someone will think shutting them down is smart when all it will do is piss off people

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
bought four fresh made pizzas for the freezer, and a bottle of Everclear. Wife has plenty of aloe vera so I can make a shit load of hand sanitizer! Or, if things get bad, drink the damned Everclear!!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've perfected social distancing to the point where

CHUCKFUCKINGNORRIS missed me with a roundhouse kick!

True, I and every human within a 50 foot radius spontaneously combusted from the shockwave friction heat, but still ...

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've been practicing 'social distancing' since I retired. After 26+ years, I was fed up dealing with Adam Henry types.

I'd rather be around dogs than people.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crazy shit going on here. Utah has state liquor stores and they have shut down all bars and restaurants. I thought that maybe I should go pick up a couple of bottles of wine and whiskey. Guess what, these fucks are only letting 10 people in the liquor store at a time. When I finally got in, wine pretty much gone and one bottle of whiskey. Who'da thunk that could ever happen? No bars but state run liquor stores.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Funny thing was that the butcher was in the process of grinding up steaks for hamburger. Said nobody was buying steaks, but ground hamburger was selling out as fast as he could make it. So while his hamburger meat is usually really good (and fairly priced normally), I bet that hamburger meat would be even better and probably worth the higher price. But we've got several pounds in the freezer already.

Maybe not. In college I worked at a steakhouse for a while. Back then all guys started as dishwashers and all girls started as liqueur girls (after you finished your dinner the would come to the table and offer you your choice of the seventeen different liqueurs they had or an ice cream. They had to memorize the list and describe the “Tan Ferrari” - amaretto, kahlua, and cream.). As dishwashers we could have most anything on the menu as our free dinner. I used to silently laugh at the folks who waited two hours to get a table, then paid $20 for it. When it was my turn I’d walk over to the head cook, Richard, who went by Buddy, and say, “I’d like the filet please, medium rare. Thanks!” After a few minutes he’d call me over, I’d thank him again, go scarf my filet at the counter they had for staff to eat at, then go back to work.

It was great until I was promoted to bus boy. That’s when I learned busboy and waitstaff meal choices were the hamburger or the cod. I had the hamburger once. As others stated it wasn’t very good. They made it from ground top sirloin. I think it just didn’t have enough fat to make a good hamburger, seemed too dry, even when cooked medium rare. I sure got tired of the cod after a while, but not tired enough to go back to the ground top sirloin.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Crazy shit going on here. Utah has state liquor stores and they have shut down all bars and restaurants. I thought that maybe I should go pick up a couple of bottles of wine and whiskey. Guess what, these fucks are only letting 10 people in the liquor store at a time. When I finally got in, wine pretty much gone and one bottle of whiskey. Who'da thunk that could ever happen? No bars but state run liquor stores.

That's cause Balzé cleared them out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

That's cause Balzé cleared them out.

Yeah, yesterday I dealt with the same nonsense, only ten allowed in the store at a time. I got there at a good time I guess though (about 1pm) as there was only one person waiting outside ahead of me, so I didn't have to wait long to enter the store. When I got in there it was fully stocked so i proceeded to buy $250 worth of booze. I blew my alcohol budget for the next three months with everything I've bought the last two weeks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I picked up some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine Gluconate Solution 4% w/v) for handwashing. Mostly for when I'm at work but for home use too.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got back from Costa Rica late Wed night. Spent yesterday working on paperwork for a house purchase and doing income taxes. Wife picked up some fresh vegetables and milk. Walmart didn't have milk but Kroger did.

Today I convinced her that we needed to drive up to the commissary at Millington to stock up on food as the whole damn country seems intent on self destruction. WTF? Parking lot was packed, TP aisle was empty, had maybe one roll of paper towels. Many items were limited to 2 per customer, and several shelves were pretty bare, there was no milk. My favorite OJ was out of stock, but most of what we needed was there.

While we were there a couple of pallets of TP arrived and the lady bringing it out was announcing it as she went. It was pretty funny. We picked up one multi pack of TP, figured we could get by with just one and leave another for the next guy. Most people were buying 2 packs. There were still a few packs left when we were leaving. Checkout lines were pretty long but they had a lot of checkers there so it moved pretty quick.

We have enough groceries now to last us a couple of weeks, we had depleted a lot of stuff since we were out of the country for a week, I normally don't like to get too low on staples.

I did pick up a small bottle of Crown and a six pack of beer as well. Smile

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm not wanting to get out, but the thought has occurred me to get a bunch of chicken, beef, burger, etc, and get out my home canner and process them in Mason Jars.

No refrigeration required.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Trying to keep our groceries topped off. Chicken has been hard to come by, but otherwise we have been able to eat normally.

Beer bread is a simple recipe for a really good bread. Nothing fancy needed. Easy to make and the recipes are all over the internet.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The wife works nights and we decided to hit Costco early when she got home, we are very short on chicken and beef. Negative ghost Rider! They were limiting the number of people in at one time, don't know how many at one time. The line went all the way around the building and snaked about three lanes in the parking lot.

We were able to find fresh chicken boob tenders and ground beef at Aldi, the place was not a mad house

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Zeroed the AR pistol that I set up. It will be going everywhere with me.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post