SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got 12 rolls of TP... actually counting what's on the depressors about 13.5. That will last at least 6 weeks for the two of us. That's plenty and buying more right now would just be hording in my view. One of us ventures to the grocery store ever three days or so, being extra cautious with sanitizing and pick up what's available and make due with that. If there's no eggs, we just don't eat eggs, if there's not potatoes, we'll eat some noodles as a starch etc. As some people make it out you would think there are people fading away for lack of food, with dirty butts for lack of TP. Of course, eat less shit less.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Walmart was pretty quiet this morning, I went out for yatzee, beets and cabbage.

Since my wife has had a history of respiratory issues and my MIL is over 60 I am the gofor boy Big Grin....works for me as I cannot stay in the house and stay sane

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a damn thing, I'm secure and believing that they're overblowing this thing on purpose.

Saw the signs long ago to be prepared, and to do it in multiple places--- call me paranoid.

But the last guy I want to trust is the guy that says "Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help" Seeing them help in Katrina was not heartening!!

Edit to say I went to PA. Monday and picked up a case of Crown and a case of my wife's wine just before the state shut 'em down.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They keep chipping away at what is allowed to be open here every couple of days. Unless something changes I see a pretty strong lock down coming.
I bought a bunch of gas cans just need to pick them up tomorrow and gas is silly cheap right now.

Wife and I both are essential personnel so we will have to get to work and we’ll also have to get our kids to be cared for while we work. So must have gas.
Have a little over 80 gallons combined in the vehicles and the added cans I’ll fill up tomorrow.
Should be able to cart the kids back and forth for awhile if they decide to shut down fueling stations.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I was able to get a good deal on vegan toilet paper.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opps, turns out my wife and I had a severe misunderstanding. I've been handing out these masks I'd stockpiled like candy to folks who needed them. Wife works in a hospital (with CV cases currently), tells me today that the hospital has such a mask shortage that they changed the protocols to conserve masks, putting healthcare workers at risk. They are nearly out of masks and are desperately trying to conserve. I said: "WHAT"? Unbelievable, it hasn't even started to get bad.

She got yoinked when I noted that "if a jackass like me can think ahead and have too many N95 and N99 masks on hand just to prep, how is it that those overpriced hospital administrators didn't think ahead? IT'S THEIR JOB and their business! It didn't sooth her at all.

Short version, I gave her all my masks except for the one ratty one in the car, and a bunch of single use handsanitizer/germ killer wipes. I really don't need them, I'd survive this thing 100% guarantee it and not go to the hospital either. Gave her some wrap around safety glasses as well. I had 10 pairs and she needed some. Of course they all had wood sawdust and tile dust on them but they clean off OK.

Anyway, I still have way too much ammo so there is that:-)

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 22, 2020 08:15 PM Hide Post
They keep chipping away at what is allowed to be open here every couple of days. Unless something changes I see a pretty strong lock down coming.
I bought a bunch of gas cans just need to pick them up tomorrow and gas is silly cheap right now.

I'm in Oregon, word is the gov will declare an emergency tomorrow. If you live in my state, get it done early. Best are metal NATO Jerry cans (Wavien is a good brand), put some PRI-G or Statron in it and buy Non-Ethonal as it will last longer.

Good luck!

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, heard about this on Friday, but am prepared for several weeks of lockdown Frown

quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

I'm in Oregon, word is the gov will declare an emergency tomorrow. If you live in my state, get it done early. Best are metal NATO Jerry cans (Wavien is a good brand), put some PRI-G or Statron in it and buy Non-Ethonal as it will last longer.

Good luck!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Opps, turns out my wife and I had a severe misunderstanding. I've been handing out these masks I'd stockpiled like candy to folks who needed them. Wife works in a hospital (with CV cases currently), tells me today that the hospital has such a mask shortage that they changed the protocols to conserve masks, putting healthcare workers at risk. They are nearly out of masks and are desperately trying to conserve. I said: "WHAT"? Unbelievable, it hasn't even started to get bad.

She got yoinked when I noted that "if a jackass like me can think ahead and have too many N95 and N99 masks on hand just to prep, how is it that those overpriced hospital administrators didn't think ahead? IT'S THEIR JOB and their business! It didn't sooth her at all.

Short version, I gave her all my masks except for the one ratty one in the car, and a bunch of single use handsanitizer/germ killer wipes. I really don't need them, I'd survive this thing 100% guarantee it and not go to the hospital either. Gave her some wrap around safety glasses as well. I had 10 pairs and she needed some. Of course they all had wood sawdust and tile dust on them but they clean off OK.

Anyway, I still have way too much ammo so there is that:-)

Today the local news showed a delivery of 50,000 masks courtesy Elon Musk. I’d call that a start. The 50,000 filled a walk in panel truck.
My wife, the nurse, tells me a mask is good for 45-60 minutes or one per patient. Staff is likely working 12 hour days.

Seattle has 9 hospitals in the city limits. The 50,000 masks won’t last long. Craft centers, sewing groups etc. are actually sewing masks. Vacuum clear bags make decent filters.

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/1...-a-time-of-shortage/

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...-to-elon-musk-tesla/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^ My wife, who works with the ER says they are having her wear them for five screenings before they can get a new one

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigSwede,

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yesterday afternoon I spent several hours washing buckets and prepping a solution to make some natural hand sanitizer in about a week or so:

16gallons of filtered water, 20 pounds of sugar and couple table spoons of yeast.....

I'm wondering if BAFTE will give me a pass on this?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm in Oregon, word is the gov will declare an emergency tomorrow.

That's the same rumor going around every state.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
While out searching the town for a package of TP, SWMBO asked me to buy a box of 12 Ga. for her shotgun. She hasn't fired that shotgun in years, but she's ready for anything nowWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
I'm in Oregon, word is the gov will declare an emergency tomorrow.

That's the same rumor going around every state.

Except that Friday evening the Governor and Portland mayor held a press conference and said "On Monday there will be a 'stay at home' order issued."

ETA: Aaaannnnnd it just came down a few minutes ago.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been threads before asking whether people keep an AR, a shotgun, or whatever by their bedside or wherever in case of a breakin or home invasion.

Has anyone gone from the NO column to the YES column given the current circumstances, which may get more severe?

I have several in different rooms downstairs. I’m not paranoid about it, just prepared.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I agree.

Never hurts to be prepared. Of course at our house they will have to deal with the dog first...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
There have been threads before asking whether people keep an AR, a shotgun, or whatever by their bedside or wherever in case of a breakin or home invasion.

Has anyone gone from the NO column to the YES column given the current circumstances, which may get more severe?

My wife did. She requested a refresher on the AR, and wanted to have one out and available, since she's at home alone for a decent portion of this period, and people are gradually getting stupid(er).

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The WHO says the US may soon become the 'epicenter'. Not sure I believe the WHO anymore than I do cnn or network news these days.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$3.69 ! for a dozen eggs! ?

are you kidding me ?

they were $1.49 , ten days ago

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
$3.69 ! for a dozen eggs! ?

are you kidding me ?

they were $1.49 , ten days ago

Eggs were the only thing that was out of stock at my local grocery yesterday.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post