SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
This is reminding me of all the grey beards buying up all the .22 ammo and then reselling it...

Neckbeards. Some may also be gray, but the term is neckbeards. Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Making pepperoni rolls

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's 80s movie week here.

All the classics, all the time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
We have a good amount of food and the store supply seems ok for the time being......we are low on TP and none to be had so there’s that.
I’m actually thinking possible longer term and considering resurrecting the garden this year...my kids enjoyed it but are now grown and don’t want anything to do with it...it would take a little work but what the hell...it could help if demand exceeds supply capabilities later on.
I’m also thinking of getting some chickens....I had them years ago, coups is still here and only stores some yard tools....again, very little work and I’d have eggs by the fall...and if push came to shove I’d have chicken for dinner too.
The wife didn’t think it was such a crazy idea not really knowing how long we would feel the repercussions of this whole thing......am I crazy or no??

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 2 boxes of saltines and a big jar of PB. Daily buy Diet Code and snacks at the Stop-n-Rob.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Get a case of beer every time I go to the store...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It's 80s movie week here.

All the classics, all the time.

Yes, but are you watching them inverted? And sit six inches from the screen? "No one's been this close before."

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm setting up a perimeter around my last nerve.

Thank you Para. Sums it up for me.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:

Anyway, since bread is un-available, I am taking this opportunity to make my own bread at home. We did, of course, have the necessary ingredients on hand, but I personally have never done the baking (wifey is the baker, but she is at work). 25 more minutes to see how this recipe turns out:

If you try this recipe yourself, note that the YT description has the incorrect units for the salt. Use 1 1/2 tsps of salt, not tbsps![/b]

That recipe is uncannily similar (if not the same mostly) to the Pizza Dough Recipe I make.

Never tried to just cook it as bread.

Who knew. Smile

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have three teenage boys who express a strong preference for fresh fruit, fresh meat and fresh milk. Rather dissatisfied with dried, canned and powdered. Ah well. Embrace the suck.

I hear people complain that hoarding is irrational because we aren't going to run out of food or TP. Even if true, one still might want some extra set aside so you don't need to go shopping again soon with a bunch of sick people.

I think I like being a recluse.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We've been working on learning the art of Sourdough starter/bread. Tried different types of bread over the years but never Sourdough before.
There is a bit of a learning curve on the starter...
(#1 tip - tap water = bad. Chlorine kills natural yeast. #2 - Temperature of room where starter is needs to be "warm", not cold).
Once you manage the little details the bread is tasty!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Got most everything covered except for cigars. Need more Dominican maduros.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need to run out for eggs, sausage, and bacon. May get the thick butcher's cut bacon, and another bag or two of dry beans. I'm hankering for corn bread and lima beans.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We were out of bacon, and so was the store, so we ponied up for $15 worth of fresh cut bacon from our local neighborhood butcher.

Cooked some last night... Best bacon I've ever had, by far. Well worth the upcharge.

Funny thing was that the butcher was in the process of grinding up steaks for hamburger. Said nobody was buying steaks, but ground hamburger was selling out as fast as he could make it. So while his hamburger meat is usually really good (and fairly priced normally), I bet that hamburger meat would be even better and probably worth the higher price. But we've got several pounds in the freezer already.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
We live prepared. The only thing we tried to get a week before the silly started was more dog food. We usually keep 2 bags besides the open one. Probably still about 3 weeks worth on hand.
We got 2 dozen fresh eggs, yesterday. A neighbor has backyard chickens and the eggs are great. Freezers are perpetually full.

Not worried about ammo. Probably should do an inventory but it would take a while to get through it all.

We are enjoying the social distancing, immensely. I pity the extroverts but my wife and I are in our element. Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been giving out N95 masks and N99 masks to those in need. I had a lot. Now I have a lot less and will be keeping whats left as we wait for it to hit us.

Didn't buy ammo.
Didn't buy TP.
Didn't buy extra food, filters, stoves, bugout trash or anything. That's was all stocked deep and cheap a long time ago.

I'm the guy that bought an extra gas mask for every child on the block when we were having a conflict with Iraq. I let it slip to a horrified parent that I had a mask for every child, including hers, but none extra for any adults outside of my wife, none for her or her husband. The as the horror of this idea sunk in, you could read the fear and shock on her face. LOL

I recently bought new filters for my wife and my masks. All those kids, including mine, grew up and moved away.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Beautiful, and I have also found baking bread in Dutch ovens in the oven to yield the best results.

Commercial bakeries use steam injection ovens to keep the air inside moist so the bread rises better, and Dutch ovens are the closest you can get to that at home (evaporated water from the bread stays inside the Dutch oven).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Made another run on the liquor store.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna binge watch netflix, order a pizza delivery, and hunker down.

Tomorrow, if it gets real bad, I'mma shoot the neighbor and take all the crap he's been buying up, should be set for at least another 12-36 hours, depending on the pop tart count.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
On Monday, I rattle canned an AR, Tuesday I bought a few more items at the grocery store and sat on my tailgate in my driveway and drank a beer and listened to old country music, Wednesday I ordered a pizza, made cornbread and bought some range ammo, Thursday picked up some meat and set up AR pistol and mags in a tennis racquet bag to carry around with me in case the natives get restless.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post