SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what are you doing to prepare/stock up for the corona? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
not doing anything special - have everything I need for a few weeks here at the house which is OPS Normal. Never let things get low. The ONLY item I am in short supply of and will necessitate a run to the store is coffee mate

running out of that is an all-hands-on-deck red alert activity for me

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a ham from Benton's. I needed an excuse to get it into the house and this is was the perfect reason. it smells delicious, and looks like it was made with care. can't wait until the frozen supplies dwindle down.

I also made something like an italian pork jerky. red wine, salt, coriander seed, fennel seed, and crushed red pepper flakes. all good here.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Probably airline and cruise line stocks...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not much. We've been prepared for stuff like this for a while.

I bought some extra dog food to have two extra bags on hand. Tried to get bread and milk earlier this week, but it was sold out. Tried to buy some fresh fruit, but produce was hit pretty hard, so ended up with just plums. Might try again later this week, or might just make do without.

Other than that, we basically just double-checked the supply of pantry food. Double-checked backup supply of MREs and dehydrated foods. Double-checked bottle water stockpile. Double-checked TP supply.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Bought 2 dozen eggs from the neighbor.
Fresh from the chicken.

Other than that, I cleaned my rifle.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I, personally, am doing nothing differently than I would for myself in my normal routine. I'm more concerned about my kitties and had my next auto-ship of canned food sent today (instead of Friday) and will go get another 35lb container of litter this afternoon.

As for "the panic", I'm starting to notice a trend here...Texas is pretty much running "business as usual" in the sense Gov. Abbott is recommending the CDC guidelines. What I'm seeing from a LOT of "D"-run states, though, is this POWER GRAB. I believe some have mentioned curfews. Others have mentioned MANDATORY edicts that may be outside the scope of their power.

Just observing...

Florida is doing the same and is republican, closed the beaches to get the spring breakers out of here, bars and nightclubs close after tonight for 30 days. I think the states with a lot of international flights in and out are doing the strictest lock downs which makes sense as they're also the most vulnerable.

A friend of mine flew in from 2 weeks in Ireland this morning, they didn't do any type of test or screening on him, just asked if he visited Europe at all.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Drove 5 miles to the my three stop sign town Saturday and picked up 2 steaks, 2 chicken breasts, a 4-pack of his fresh made Italian sausages, a few peppers and onions, head of cabbage, 12 carrots, dozen eggs, a couple qts of yogurt, and a gallon of milk. This will last me through March plus I have my typical 4 week supply of potatoes, can, dry, and frozen food. Water comes from the well.
On Wednesday evening I drive 25 miles to visit my friend, she typically stays at my house over the weekend, otherwise being retired I'm alone with my dog and cat, spending most of my time in my shop or out on the property. No TV so what news I get is from my friend or Sig Forum Big Grin Other than this thread, a few calls from my daughter in NOVA, and an Email group of friends in other parts of the country discussing when and what stocks to buy, I wouldn't know there was panic. I know it's serious though and unfortunately will likely ramp up again in October.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My wife is a grocery hoarder and I am an ammo hoarder so we are in pretty good shape. Smile

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at Costco yesterday afternoon topping-off my frozen food stores....and there was some screaming and yelling at the front near check-out. Suspicion was somebody was trying to buy more than the allotment allows...

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm not participating in the hysteria. I'll document my starvation here if things get bad.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Went to the beverage store and bought 4 bottles of top shelf whiskey and I don’t even drink. I have been stocked on everything for years and rotate stuff out. Felt left out with all the panic buying.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Might have to go buy some booze for the boredom.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Food and supplies wise we are in good shape. Keeping the kids in shape on the other hand, especially the 2 hour a day swimmer. The county has shut the pool down and our pool is just too small for him. I'm trying is convince my wife to let my put the our Concept 2 rower on the lanai. It's been in storage since we moved to a smaller house and she's fighting me on it even temporarily.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a stand up freezer in the garage, I go shopping once a week regardless as to what is going on. We went Sunday and the only thing we couldn’t get was butter...no biggie. Mrs Mike stopped at Wally World and grabbed some.

We keep TP and paper towels pretty well stocked. If we run out I can just hover over to the bathtub and take care of business.

I’ve got about a thousand rounds of each caliber I shoot-except 12 ga....and 4K of 5.56.

Not worried at all.

I’m of the mindset that we need a new plague anyway. 6billion people running amok on the face of the planet is too many...if there was a way to sort out the dummies that would be even better...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is crazy. I just went to the grocery store and they took items away from me because you could only buy two items of the same thing. That included cat food and a bunch of bananas. They also had a sign on the door to bring your own bags (out of plastic) if you had them. BTW, I was buying 10 cans of cat food and six bananas.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I stocked up on cat food and litter. I can fend for myself. He cant, unless he goes free range.

Same here. I don't want to run out of litter or try to explain to our cat herd why there's no food.

quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
This is crazy. I just went to the grocery store and they took items away from me because you could only buy two items of the same thing.

Similar thing happened to me. The cashier said the limit is 2 cans per customer. I saw the signs, but assumed it was two cans of the same item--like two cans of soup or two cans of beans. I had two cans diced tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce for what I'm making for supper tonight.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We have a year's worth of food. Spare bedroom is our pantry. Three 20 cu ft freezers full of frozen stuff.

Lots of ammo

Don't take any prescription meds, have enough OTC stuff plus various medical supplies

Humidor, liquor cabinet and beer fridge are stocked

Gas cans are full

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Locally, we have a bunch of stupid, panicked hoarders, so the stores are mostly stripped of anything we would want to get. Fortunately, we always have depth to our essentials, so the only things we want are perishables. Anyways, we have seen the cart loads of bottled water (why?????), generators (WTF???????), and everything else heading out the door. I almost took a cue from a former student that liked to troll the hoarders. He'd look for the ignorant fools with panicked looks on their faces, and follow them until he found some totally un-necessary item. Then he'd semi-loudly say, "Oh, great! They still have these!" and grab one of whatever it was. He actually got one lady to buy like 20 toilet flapper valves. She cleaned out the shelf behind him.

Anyway, since bread is un-available, I am taking this opportunity to make my own bread at home. We did, of course, have the necessary ingredients on hand, but I personally have never done the baking (wifey is the baker, but she is at work). 25 more minutes to see how this recipe turns out:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/91ZXVw58Ths

So, here it is:

with Kerigold butter:

Delicious. N.B. If you try this recipe yourself, note that the YT description has the incorrect units for the salt. Use 1 1/2 tsps of salt, not tbsps!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DrDan,

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have the stuff to bake soda bread/beer bread at home. It's not the greatest sandwich bread, being rather dense and crusty. But it's quick and easy, and works fine as a side to many dishes.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post

Snowflake - Yes only $1.00
Snowflake Bath Tissue - Sarina Paper of Muncie, IN
1 Roll - 500 Sheets - 2 Ply $1.00

Cub Foods Richfield, MN -

My wife bought one just to show me - It's my Corona Trophy.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post