SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whoops, I'm a thief! I dined and dashed by accident
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whoops, I'm a thief! I dined and dashed by accident Login/Join 
posted
Took my girlfriend for a quick drink and bite last night. Food was good, service was good. Went to pay with my debit card - declined. Tried again, declined. Huh. Well, my stupid ATM cards don't last more than 2 months anyways (I used to be able to get a few years of use out of them but I think they're making them out of cheaper plastic now. Yes, I put it in my wallet but I've done that for several years and they don't seem to quit working like they do lately).

All I had was a 100 dollar bill. So I gave it to my waitress. She leaves with it, comes back with a stack of smaller bills and hands it to me. I leave her a tip, put the rest in my wallet and leave.

As I'm pulling out of the parking lot, my girlfriend said the "Hey the waitress is gesturing towards us and shrugging". So I pull into the lot and roll down the window.

Comes to the car, "Hey I gave you 100$ in change there, so you didn't pay".

I'm all confused, so I apologize, pay what I owe and leave.

Maybe I'm a bit thick in the head but when I give the waitress cash for my bill I want the change back, less what I owe for my food.

I know it's not a huge deal and I don't really think it's my fault (perhaps I could've counted my change) but oh well.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That is kind of strange on the waitresses part.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I hate thieves.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
"Hey I gave you 100$ in change there ...."

Bad policy, that.

Good on you for making her whole. I bet she doesn't do that twice.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
She maybe couldn't count change.....or, wanted you to be responsible for giving her a tip.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That was her fault not yours. I would never expect to hand a waitress a big bill with the check and have her return exact change for the big bill, not having deducted the amount of the check. I would expect only the change less the check and sufficient denomination to leave her a correct tip.

I find it a little irritating when I have say a $30 bill and give the server two $20's and they return a $10. Roll Eyes If you gave me a $5 and five $1 I can leave a proper tip with the change provided.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
That was her fault not yours. I would never expect to hand a waitress a big bill with the check and have her return exact change for the big bill, not having deducted the amount of the check. I would expect only the change less the check and sufficient denomination to leave her a correct tip.

I find it a little irritating when I have say a $30 bill and give the server two $20's and they return a $10. Roll Eyes If you gave me a $5 and five $1 I can leave a proper tip with the change provided.

That would be a serious amateur server. Anyone who brings back change that doesn't make it easy for you to leave a tip isn't thinking.

Might be odd the OP not catching that she hadn't actually taken the money he had given her to pay the bill and (duh) paid the bill with it, then brought his change back to him (like every server I have ever given cash to has always done), but not everyone checks their change.

What do you want to bet she shared the story with some other servers and they started with a total face palm, then explained to her what every customer in the world expects when they give cash to settle the bill?

At least she didn't ask, "Do you need change for that?" which is a personal pet peeve.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I always assumed they did this automatically to create situations wherein some people might just go ahead and overtip them.
Because of this, I have had to ask for further change, from my change, sometimes.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not your fault.

I would have counted the change to make sure, but not everybody does. For the server to give you $100 back in smaller bills wasn't a wise decision.

I have also received a 50 and 20 when paying a 30 bill with a hundred. New waitress, so I gave her a good tip. If someone pays you with a hundred, chances are they have nothing small to leave you a tip, so make sure they get some smaller bills. Now here's this 20 back... I need some change. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I would have expected just the change myself, and very rarely count it.

I went through a McDonald's drive through a few years back when I was on a road trip. Their credit card machine was down, so they were cash only. I only had a $100 bill on me. No problem they say.

They give me my meal and my change. I toss the change on the center council and eat the food as I continue down the highway. Once I'm done I go to organize the change. I now had $120 something dollars.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have, on occasion:
Driven away from the gas pump and forgot to pay.
Had items on the lower rack of the shopping cart that did not get rung up.
I just go back and pay.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You may not have been thinking about it at the time, but didn't you notice there weren't any coins in the change she gave back to you?

And what did she give you that you couldn't figure out she gave you $100 back? It wouldn't make sense that she gave you ten $1 bills, two $5s, two $10s, and three $20s. Don't you normally count the change to make sure it's reasonable?

I agree it was on her to get the charge and give you change back.

And I'm not saying I'm better than you. I do remember walking out of a restaurant with a date and the waitress coming out because I hadn't paid at all. We had a good dinner, it was a good night to go for a walk so we did. My mind was on other things.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may not have been thinking about it at the time, but didn't you notice there weren't any coins in the change she gave back to you?

That's not uncommon at many of the places I eat. They'll just round the change up to the nearest dollar.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny story. I agree that simplistically it's not your fault. (I have never been food service FWIW...)

You rendered payment and she gave you your payment back in full. That's pretty weird on her part.

No harm - no foul... you got it straightened out.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
The other day I gave the waiter a 20 for a 7 bill. He asked if I needed any change back. You self important asshole- you took my order and laid it on my table and I never saw you again for half an hour when I had to come find you for my ticket so I could leave and you expect a 13 dollar tip for crappie service on a 7 bill?
BTW, it was in the high 90s and when he brought my food I saw him look at my half empty tea glass which he made no effort to refill.

Only great self restraint prevented me from giving that little snowflake a real good verbal thrashing.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post