SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Karma - a quart of home made chicken soup, canned. Apphunter is the winner.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karma - a quart of home made chicken soup, canned. Apphunter is the winner. Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Mark123 came up with a replacement to choose Karma winners so I though I'd give it a try.

Post up to enter the Karma and I'll get it out next week.

Inspired by this thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2740055874

My Recipe as posted in that thread:

Here is my 100 year old recipe, passed down through the generations. It’s not exact but it doesn’t have to be. This was a family recipe that started in a Jewish Deli in NYC. The deli is gone but the recipe lives on.

Throw a large roaster, into a large pot of water.

Add:

A bunch of celery, sliced
A bunch of carrots, sliced
2 large turnips, chopped
2 large parsnips, sliced
1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped fine
2 tablespoons of paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

* peel carrots, turnips and parsnips first.

Add water so it’s a couple or 3 inches from the rim.

Bring to a boil, stirring so the chicken doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.

Simmer for 3-4 hours and cool enough to handle.
Using a colander or large slotted spoon remove bone and skin, discard.

Remove meat, chop it and return to the pot.

Enjoy.

If I’m going to go through making it I’ll make a lot. Can or freeze the rest.

Edited to add, I use a huge stock pot and this makes 12-15 quarts. If this is too much just use a smaller chicken and cut the ingredients in half.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff Yarchin,

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Lucky #1, in for the Karma (maybe Mark's code has a bug). Thanks!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take a shot. Thanks.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well damn, what with the turnips and parsnips and all, gotta say this really sounds tasty and is a significant departure from what we make here. So, yes, I'd be honored to be considered for this taste treat to combat cold weather in these parts. Thanks Jeff! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would like to try this. Please include me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Karma! Please add me to the list.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Oh man this is right up my alley.
Please include me and thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can always use chicken soup. Please add me. Thanks Jeff.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
This sounds delicious! Please throw my name in the hat and thanks!

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. If I win I'll even drive to Boone for an in person pick up

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Would love to try it.

Thanks!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to try the real stuff. Heard about it, seen pics of it,, but have never seen it in the flesh. I bet it smells real good too. Thanks for the chance.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'd love to try some of this! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm in, thanks for the chance.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan of celery, but dang, that sounds good! Please include me in your karma... and thanks for the opportunity!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I can attest that this recipe is wonderful, as I made it yesterday. I made my own karma! Thanks again, Jeff.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Soup for me, please. It sounds delicious. Thank you.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I can attest that this recipe is wonderful, as I made it yesterday. I made my own karma! Thanks again, Jeff.
Big Grin

God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
In please, feel a bug coming on.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Last bump.