SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Listing a home for sale on Zillow
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Listing a home for sale on Zillow Login/Join 
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Licensed Realtor here in CA. The following is not meant to be represented as professional advice and no warranties are made whatsoever.

...now that's out of the way here are my 2 cents:

Sounds like you are doing a FSBO (for sale by owner) vs. allowing Zillow to buy it from you.

I don't know how it works with Zillow, but with an agent, here in CA the listing agent usually assesses a % fee that is then split with the Buyer's agent.

So you'll need to find out how the Buyer's agent is being compensated and make sure that's all documented, e.g., will you pay them, will the Buyer pay them, etc. The Buyer's agent most likely will not want to do the work for their Buyers if they will not be paid.

Secondly, as was mentioned, have it appraised. Part of what an agent does is to do a market analysis to help properly price your home. Since there is no agent, get it appraised. As others have said, don't trust Zillow and Trulia as their robo-calculations don't take certain things into consideration that a human Realtor would.

Nice house and good luck!

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ Not to go wildly OT, but is Trulia any better?

No. Trulia is just a rebranded and refocused Zillow. Trulia focuses on the neighborhood and neighborhood features (like school district) whereas Zillow is more focused on the price and the house itself. The Trulia people are based in New York City.

They both use the same back ends though.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Understood, thanks.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I don't think I need a realtor to tell me if I have chipped paint or such. Some companies charge you minimal fees to get it listed on the multi list. That gets it on the market. It looks very nice. I think you can do some of the work and pay yourself. Good luck. Great pictures help tremendously, including pics of the garage inside. You know, guy spaces.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I don't think I need a realtor to tell me if I have chipped paint or such. Some companies charge you minimal fees to get it listed on the multi list. That gets it on the market. It looks very nice. I think you can do some of the work and pay yourself. Good luck. Great pictures help tremendously, including pics of the garage inside. You know, guy spaces.

I’m not sure what chipped paint would matter but would the average person know an offer with a VA loan won’t be able to close with chipped paint or a loose railing? I’m not totally against FSBO as I’ve done it myself. But now being engaged to a realtor I’ve seen how much money people can lose by not having a realtor. I’d also recommend a realtors advice on pricing. I’ve seen good homes sit because it was just priced too high. When buyers see prices lowered they assume something is wrong and may not even schedule a showing. When a price is good or even a bit low there are bidding wars. At least that’s the case here because there is very low inventory.

I should add the caveat that each market is different. When I did fsbo the realtors in my town did hardly nothing but present offers and look for signatures. Now I’m only 30 minutes from that town and the realtors do way more hand holding. My fiancé handles the smoke detector inspect for example and she pays for and installs new ones if needed. That would never happen where I used to live. They would just say “get your smoke inspection”.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Not listed yet but Here it is
I'll take it. (See the SIGForum rules.) Just kidding. Big Grin

Very nice house. It should sell quickly.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Well, it's up and running. At the same instant it hit, a local couple was passing by on their way to view the listed house next door. They stopped their Tesla and asked to schedule a viewing! I have had several calls on my Google Voice #. It transcribes voice messages to text and sends you an email. There have been 453 viewings already today and multiple saves. Off to a good start!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I looked at your listing on Zillow just for fun. For the past 3 days I've been getting suggestions from Zillow for $500,000+ houses in Florida. Hmm... Nah. Big Grin

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Well, it's up and running. At the same instant it hit, a local couple was passing by on their way to view the listed house next door. They stopped their Tesla and asked to schedule a viewing! I have had several calls on my Google Voice #. It transcribes voice messages to text and sends you an email. There have been 453 viewings already today and multiple saves. Off to a good start!

Just be careful who you let walk through your home and what could be laying around or even put away.
Appearances can be deceiving. The least harmful are just time wasters or annoying.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Zillow is not what it is cracked up to be.

The "supposed low fee" is not. You will still pay the fees for the buyer's agent.

Zillow will put the listing up, maybe do a few open houses and that is that. Very little to no marketing will be done.

Zillow agents are paid a salary + a small part of the commission. They have no incentive to sell the house.

If you end up needing or wanting anything beyond the minimal service they provide it will cost you.

You are better off going with a "real" agent.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine just sold a house on Zillow for about 35% more than he paid for it less than 4 years ago after figuring in paid contractors + materials and his own sweat equity. It sold in less than a week for full asking price. Real estate commissions around here run 6% and the market is so hot brokers aren't budging on that. He saved $16.5K less whatever he had to pay Zillow.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My brothers friends sold their 1.3mil home in Clearwater last year. It was on Zillow for months and months....they took it off Zillow and used a regular realtor to the area. Sold in a week. For full asking price.

Zillow can reach a lot of people but regular RE agents know the market better. RE agents also use the internet and can list across a lot of different media.

I would use a RE agent that is a sellers agent.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Update: No offers yet. Nearly all traffic is from buyers' agents with out-of-state clients. I will pay up to 2-1/2% if they handle everything. Realtors who want the listing are offering 4-1/2%. Feedback has been good, price is considered a little low, furnishings and colors need updating.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Traffic has slowed and we will list with a realtor in 2 weeks or so. Zillow is free and I wouldn't recommend against trying it for a couple of months.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Anyone used Realtor.com?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Looks like I sold it today, one day before a signed with a realtor. 575K as is, pending inspection, close this month. The realtor I was going to sign with is handling it from here. We will move down the west coast; Bradenton, Ft Myers, Naples to a golf community.

posted Hide Post
Good for you if it is sold. I agree, the market is crazy right now. I had a standard 80x120 lot in my area, I sold a year ago for 31k and thought that was a pretty good return on my investment. Now they are going for 55k+. Hopefully these prices will hold for a few more years.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Houses around here are going for well over asking. So much so that appraisal is a concern but my fiancé is getting many cash buyers with no inspection, so appraisal doesn’t matter. It’s nuts.

Op I’m confused. As is or pending inspection? Is the inspection “for info only”?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The market is crazy.

We're making offers for clients $30k over asking and still getting outbid by all cash offers.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Houses around here are going for well over asking. So much so that appraisal is a concern but my fiancé is getting many cash buyers with no inspection, so appraisal doesn’t matter. It’s nuts.

Op I’m confused. As is or pending inspection? Is the inspection “for info only”?

Yes. I shouldn't have said "pending". In this case "as is" means no conditions. Florida requires a termite inspection. Most all buyers want to get a home inspection and definitely an EIFS (stucco) inspection which was done this month on my dime.
*UPDATE* When we signed the offer contract, I asked the realtor: AS IS means I don't have to pay for any repairs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,