SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    eat fat lose fat; or, eat fat lose weight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

eat fat lose fat; or, eat fat lose weight Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Lard and butter is the answer.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

It might be. My grandfather ate plenty of both and lived to be 89.

I don’t know if it makes any difference, but my wife makes almost everything from scratch. Even if it’s a treat, like a cake, she’ll never use a boxed mix.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Lard and butter is the answer.
another myth debunked..., from page 189:
quote:
When we pay attention to how HDL tracks with heart disease - not just LDL and total cholesterol - we learn something about the purported risks and benefits of the foods we might choose to eat instead of fattening carbohydrates: red meat, say, or eggs and bacon, even lard and butter. It's important to understand that the fat in these foods is not all saturated. Rather, these animal fats are mixtures of saturated and unsaturated fats, just as vegetable fats are, and these fats all have different effects on our LDL and HDL cholesterol.

Take lard, for example, which has long been considered the archetypal example of a killer fat. It was lard that bakeries and fast-food restaurants used in large quantities before they were pressured to replace it with the artificial trans fats that nutritionists have now decided might be a cause of heart disease after all. You can find the fat composition of lard easily enough, as you can for most foods, by going to a U.S. Department of Agriculture website called National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. You'll find that nearly half the fat in lard (47 percent) is monounsaturated, which is almost universally considered a "good" fat. Monounsaturated fat raises HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol (both good things, according to our doctors). Ninety percent of that monounsaturated is the same oleic acid that's in the olive oil so highly touted by champions of the Mediterranean diet. Slightly more than 40 percent of the fat in lard is indeed saturated, but a third of that is the same stearic acid that's in chocolate and is not also considered a "good fat," because it will raise our HDL levels and have no effect on LDL (a good thing and a neutral thing). The remaining fat (about 12 percent of the total) is polyunsaturated, which actually lowers LDL cholesterol but has no effect on HDL (also a good thing and a neutral thing).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
This is totally true!!!!!

I tried the low fat diet, thought it would help you lose weight. Tried to do it different ways for 25 years - then I read "Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: Get Strong. Get Lean. No Bullshit."

Since I began to follow this logic, I've lost 45 pounds and feel better than I felt in years. I have been following this for nearly 2 years - my cholesterol has not gone up, zero blood pressure increase. In fact, my Dr. had said I was pre-diabetic, that has also gone away - no bad side effects whatsoever.

Its all been good - I get to eat foods I like a lot and I'm never hungry and don't feel any cravings.

Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: Get Strong. Get Lean. No Bullshit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dzozer,

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And people have gotten the same results on vegan diets.

There is no "one way" to eat healthy and lose weight. The problem is people who find a method that works for them and then proclaim, "It worked for ME so it MUST work for EVERYONE! EVERYTHING ELSE is BS!"

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
There is no "one way" to eat healthy and lose weight. The problem is people who find a method that works for them and then proclaim, "It worked for ME so it MUST work for EVERYONE! EVERYTHING ELSE is BS!"

While what you say is true to an extent, there's science behind why diets high in carbohydrates, particularly refined carbohydrates, results in fat gain and obesity.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
This has been called many things over many years. Now it's "no sugar, no grain" NSNG. The point is to get your body to get it's energy from burning fat, not carbs. Carbs/sugar burning takes a lot of energy (why we get the post lunch slump after Burger King). Google Vinnie Tortorich.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
This has been called many things over many years. Now it's "no sugar, no grain" NSNG. The point is to get your body to get it's energy from burning fat, not carbs. Carbs/sugar burning takes a lot of energy (why we get the post lunch slump after Burger King). Google Vinnie Tortorich.

He'll also tell you that Calories In Calories Out is bullshit.

I've lost 73 lbs over the past 2 years on LCHF/NSNG doing fuckall for exercise and probably eating WAY too much. If I had any semblance of willpower to control my food intake and/or get off my lazy ass, I'd be MUCH closer to my goal, if not there already. It is about what you are eating, far more than it is about how much you are eating.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Intermittent fasting works for me. 16 hour fast with 8 hours of eating. Has worked wonders and is relatively easy to follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
And people have gotten the same results on vegan diets.

Dieters can be worse than religious zealots. Many think their theory is the only path to salvation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
For two years now I have cut cut out refined sugars, simple carbohydrates and exercise 6 days a week.

I'm the "best shape of my life at 40" guy now Big Grin

It started by watching "That Sugar Film" on night on Netflix.

It shocked me and caused me to do a lot of internet research. My conclusion was no more sugar and no more simple carbohydrates. I had always worked out though. My transformation has been nothing short of amazing. My fat % and blood work is the best it's been since I've been an adult (again, I'm 40).

It has been great for me and I never want to go back to eating that stuff.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is like a programmable combo lock, especially for mere fat loss. You can program it with many combos that will work. Most people just care about shrinking external dimensions...any "diet" will do...then you'll statistically just gain it all back and more within a year because you didn't change, just followed a "diet" for awhile.

When it comes to health/proper nutrition, there are still a number of different combinations that will work (and many that won't). As you move toward an extreme, the combo gets tougher to get the right nutrients in the right quantities. As an example, Veganism is hard to get the essential fatty acids (building blocks of hormones) and amino acids (building blocks of everything else) that primarily come from animals.

There are some proven facts, we don't need carbs (our bodies can make glycogen and ketones from fatty acids and protein). Gluten and dairy aren't healthy even if you can tolerate them.

Eat at least 80% whole foods and very little of sugar, processed, deep fried, dairy and you'll be OK. The details of Paleo vs. Vegan vs. South Beach vs low fat, low carb/keto etc. aren't as important as first ditching all the crap and eating primarily whole foods.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
...Eat at least 80% whole foods and very little of sugar, processed, deep fried, dairy and you'll be OK. The details of Paleo vs. Vegan vs. South Beach vs low fat, low carb/keto etc. aren't as important as first ditching all the crap and eating primarily whole foods.

This is absolutely correct, except that I would say NO sugar, period.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post