SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Don't buy an LG fridge.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't buy an LG fridge. Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Mad

$3K LG fridge, 5 year extended warranty. Want to guess when it died? 4 months after the warranty expired.

Won't be replacing it with an LG, I can tell you that.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We suffered the same fate. They covered the compressor under a 10 year warranty though. It cost us a couple of hundred dollars for the installation.

Not a fan of LG fridges at all.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been mentioned here in the forum numerous times, LG is one of the Frig manufactures not to get. My mothers sh*t the bed last summer right after warranty expired.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Years of bad reviews on lg and Samsung appliances. Don’t know how they stay in the market. Or why Costco keeps selling them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to find a fridge that isn’t made by a cell phone manufacturer. I finally found a big GE without any digital shit in the door. Love it.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Google “LG compressor failure” and get back to us in 500 years when you finish reading.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Incredibly crappy appliances. Meanwhile my 23 year old Kenmore fridge is still going strong.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Their engineers are paid large bonuses to design stuff that dies right after the warranty expires.

Just like the shock absorbers on a Mercedes I owned, that needed to be replaced less than 1,000 miles past the warranty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Home Depot salesman told me to avoid LG and Samsung products. Said they are prone too breakage and repairman familiar with these products are hard to find.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never buy another LG product--had a TV and dishwasher that either broke completley or had problems within a couple of years.

Posts: 301 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: August 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Prob a Whirlpool on the inside...my best fridges were Whirlpools

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Incredibly crappy appliances. Meanwhile my 23 year old Kenmore fridge is still going strong.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
LG and Frigidaire are the only brands I've had that were at least worth their own weight in dog shit. Whirlpool/Maytags has been the worst products I've ever owned. Maytag washers are the worst of the worst.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1200 dollar GE two years ago. I figure if it dies I didn't lose much. Appliance in general suck these days.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We have an LG refrigerator and made sure to get the extended warranty. My parents Kenmore only lasted 5 years, I consider them all disposable at this point.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Believe they are a Korean company. Was reading at my Credit Union today LG is quitting their cell phone business also. On my second LG phone and had been looking to upgrade. Not now. Motorola G Power is starting to look like a better deal, same price and larger storage with a way better camera.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Have a newer Maytag and it is a lovely beast
Super reliable and quiet
10 year compressor warranty
I can live with that

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Their engineers are paid large bonuses to design stuff that dies right after the warranty expires.

Just like the shock absorbers on a Mercedes I owned, that needed to be replaced less than 1,000 miles past the warranty.

Interesting you should mention that. I ran a design section in R&D in a company for a few years way back when. I got called into the VP's office one day for a closed door section.

Seems the company was upset because their field service income was way down on the products my section designed. He essentially said we were over designing the product and asked if I could help them out.

I told him sure, I could put in a pseudo random number generator that picked a date somewhere in the year after the warranty expired and trip a flag that made it go T.U.

He thought about it for a while and said no, we can't do that.

Good thing, too, because I was all set to turn the whole company in if they told me to do it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Same here.

Ours is still running, but has been a POS from Day #1. I can't wait to get rid of it and you couldn't give me another one.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
My LG made popping and odd noises almost from the day I bought it, but it seemed to work fine. I've had it for about six years now and back in February I opened it up and it had no power. I checked the usual suspects and still no power. Called the repairman and he came out in a couple days and said the 'non-replaceable' fuse on the motherboard had blown. Fortunately I live in a small town and the repairman wasn't afraid to put forth a little effort and he said he could take out the motherboard and resolder in another fuse, which he did. It's been working fine since.

It would have been just as simple to make a motherboard with replaceable fuse but they didn't. That tells you something about LG.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't bother with LG washers/dryers either. The ex-wife and I had a set back in 2009ish. Worthless.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post