SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Don't buy an LG fridge.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't buy an LG fridge. Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
To add insult to injury, there was a class action lawsuit that would have covered my "non-cooling even", if it had happened before Feb 21st 2021.

https://www.lgfridgesettlement.com/

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I don't guess most people are aware or remember that LG (acronym for Life's Good Roll Eyes ) is a company that "re-branded" themselves over a decade ago because they had a crappy reputation under their original company name, Goldstar.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I don't guess most people are aware or remember that LG (acronym for Life's Good Roll Eyes ) is a company that "re-branded" themselves over a decade ago because they had a crappy reputation under their original company name, Goldstar.

Lucky Goldstar to be exact.

Their motto should be: "If it's good, that's Lucky"

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Well now I'm conflicted. Repair man just left. I paid $400 for labor to install a warranty compressor.

I'm still a little pissed at LG for having shitty compressors, but I'm kind of glad they have a 10 year warranty.

At least I'm not out buying a new fridge today.

5 more years (maybe).

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
LG and Samsung fridge problems seem to be a common theme around here.

My trusty old (Electrolux built) Kenmore fridge is still chugging along at 7 years.

Eek $3,000 for a fridge? Ours was $1,200 and I thought that was too much, but we got it for $800 on sale.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
On my second LG phone and had been looking to upgrade.

Well now that LG is getting out of the phone biz, I wouldn't do that.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig: $3,000 for a fridge? Ours was $1,200 and I thought that was too much, but we got it for $800 on sale.

If you can find me a 36 inch 28 cubic feet stainless steel French door dual-ice maker for $800 then please let me know!

Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Had Samsung fridge, total price of crap, 15 service calls, in 3 years, finally warranty company agreed to give us cash to purchase a new one. Service techs all agreed that LG and Samsung are the worst, they would never own one, but those two brands kept them busy.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've never heard anything good about Samsung appliances. Ever. Curiously, my in-law's new house is filled with them and they never had a problem.

Right this second, I am waiting for J B Hunt to arrive to pick up my Maytag Bravos washing machine that I finally got Maytag to buy back. Back in February it began to operate without any input. I bought it at Lowes in July 2020. I found out that Lowes 5-year service plan is completely worthless for the 1st year as they force you to deal exclusively with Whirlpool/Maytag while the machine is still under a factory warranty. So it's really a 4 year plan, not the 5 year plan they tell you it is. Turns out my washer's "control" was bad and they were backordered by "at least" 3 months. I made a Lowes "executive complaint" and the "advocate" assigned to me was able to locate the part in a month and expedite it to the service provider who installed it. 2 days later, that control turned the pump on all on its own sometime during the night and it burned out the pump. Only after I created a Facebook and Twitter account solely to plaster the video I took of the washer operating itself with the inability to turn it off by any means other than unplugging it did Whirlpool/Maytag admit there was a safety issue with the Bravos and agreed to buy it back. So here I sit waiting for J B Hunt to show up and haul it off. I plan on video'ing that hand off so I have proof it happened as Whirlpool/Maytag refuses to issue a refund until that have possession of the washer.

Then Lowes said they wouldn't refund the cost of my 5 year plan because I didn't return the machine within 30 days. Only after I took to social media did they agree to give me $200 gift card. I refused that and the executive "advocate" said he would get the store to cash it in and give me $200 in cash. I took $156 of that $200, the exact cost of my 5 year plan.

Lowes and Whirlpool/Maytag has been a nightmare to deal with. Calling 1-888-77-Lowes for service results in an 1.5 hour hold time every time you call (and I had to call no fewer than 5 times during all this until I got a direct number to Whirlpool's "Safety Department"). And all calling that number does is push you off to the manufacturer. Lowes refuses to provide service during the 1st year of their 5 year contract. Whirlpool tried three times to get me to accept an exchange of the machine until I advised them that under no circumstances would I accept another Bravos that they just admitted had safety issues.

Unless I can cash and carry something out of Lowes, I'll never buy anything major there again. I've never in my life run into such a slipshod organization as Lowes. And as far as a Whirlpool/Maytag, as Della Reese said in "Harlem Nights," they can kiss my entire ass.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
Well I don't want to jinx it (knock on wood) but I've had my Maytag washer/dryer for 24 years and still going strong. Had to replace the tub seal twice, did it myself, but that's been the only issue. Still looks like new inside and out.

I've had my Amana fridge for the same number of years. Replaced the water valve for the icemaker a couple times myself, but it's very simple to do as it's right on the back.

I plan to just keep using them as long as I can until they can no longer be fixed. All together the repairs I did probably cost a few couple hundred in parts at the most.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Was present in the garage of my grandparents house when they bought it in '79. Manufacture date unknown. Moved in my truck bed to Ohio, then to CT, now in NC. Been keeping 3 generations of my family in the cold beer and made in the good old US of A!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is good to know. We bought a set of LG front loading washer and dryer units in 2005. Been amazing. We’ve pounded those things, and one breakdown that I was able to figure out and fix.
Was planning on a LG frig when our G.E. POS dies.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I asked here on SIGforum about a new washer once and lg did well in the buyers remorse category iirc.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Waiting on a call from Lowe's right now for a delivery time tomorrow on my new fridge. Freezer on the side by side Frigidaire puked, puddle on the floor. Call to hame warranty, they only cover compressor repair. Call repairman, $150 to tell me evaporator is shot and $800 repair. Decided not worth it for a fridge of unknown age with missing shelves an a broken ice maker.

Whirlpool French door unit on the way. Least expensive French door unit that was not LG or Samsung. Bought an LG at the house in Arizona, compressor puked in less than 5 years, still $300 to replace under, "Warranty". At $1,800 for the Whirlpool, I'm thinking I've paid less for some cars that I have owned.

Welcome to Alaska, your choices for appliances are limited to Lowe's, Home Depot and Best Buy and whatever you are lucky enough to find in stock.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cusingeorge
posted Hide Post
One of my brothers has an International Harvester chest freezer, from 1958 I think. You know when the compressor kicks on 'cause the lights dim a bit, but it does keep things cold.

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2196 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post