SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about a Will?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a Will? Login/Join 
posted
Had this all typed out once, but it was coming across kinda morbid.
Basically, when does a will become a prudent thing to have and what should it cover? I have no property, but some guns and some tools. Bank accounts are set up to pay on death. I am single, no kids, renter.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, its good to designate who will get any assets you may have upon your demise. You don't want it going to the state to piss away on illegals, food stamps, section 8 housing and all the other free give aways?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Well, if you want someone to inherit your guns, that is at least one reason to have a will. I am sure one of the attorney members will chime in.

I def want my stuff to go where I want it to go. Especially my guns and collectibles. I really want my best friend to have all of my fishing gear and most of my guns and ammo. So that is in my will. I do NOT want the government dictating where my stuff will end up.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In most states, if you have no will, your property, net of administrative costs, will be divided according to the statute of that state. An administrator will be named by the court to handle the job and report at various points.

Intestate succession is dependent on your surviving relatives, wife, children, parents, siblings so forth. A wife gets so much, children split so much, if none of those, parents, or siblings, etc. Each state has its own details.

If you have a valid will, the person you name will be appointed Executor, usually, to carry out whatever division of your property you specify. “Wife gets it all”, or “wife gets so much, kids get the rest”, or “all my property goes to the Loyal Order of Boiled Owls,” etc. Just about any scheme you want will do. You need to understand about what is community property, or property held in joint tenancy and things like that which do not go into your estate.

Usually, there are special statutes which provide for accounts with small amounts to be transferred without probate. Real property in the estate must go through probate in every case I recall. Joint tenancy avoids probate, and trusts as well.

Only if you have no will and no relatives would the state get your property.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one when I was 22. It doesn't have to be complicated, but it has to be done.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
What JAllen said.

I’d add that having had a son that died without a will at 40, more than anything he left behind a mess of issues that needed to be sorted out by people who didn’t need to be dealing with that brand of complication. He was divorced and left behind 3 children. He managed to have enough credit to get a loan for a house with a woman he was not married to. His estate was primarily debt. The woman claimed common law marriage to the court and probated his estate in order to get his name off the deed/loan of the house. Way more issues than I’ll go into here. In short, those who are left behind should not have to spend money or jump through hoops to clean up whatever life you might leave. Wills are not that expensive. Decide what you want done and have it documented.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It's worth it. Name your executor, waive the need for a bond, designate who gets what.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The very least that should be expected of us is, in my opinion, that we not leave the world more messed up than when we lived in it.
My wife and I are trying hard to make sure our kids will have less complicated affairs to deal with when we passed than our parents left to us.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've had one since I was 40. Simple, wife gets everything kind of will. But she knows that my guns and knives get split between the grandsons. Anything else, she decides who gets what.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll get REAL basic. Have your will stored someplace people can access it. I'm currently hunting an attorney who retired 10 years ago and closed shop. He has the will. Personally, at my age, I'm slimming down my property and putting the cash in investments jointly owned. I don't want my survivor (likely wife) dealing with a couple of hundred guns she knows little about.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some states have will forms for simple situations. Whackyland has this: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Porta...ations/Will-Form.pdf

The complexities arise when property is owned in various ways as I described above. You can’t leave your interest in your house to your daughter when you own in as joint tenants with your wife, for example.

You might also set up a durable power of attorney for the time when you are so ill you can’t act on your own behalf, and rescusitate instructions yes or no.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
My brother just passed away, intestate and insolvent, what a mess. I will spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars settling his estate. I might get my money back and maybe I won't but I will never recover the time and emotional stress. Make a will, name an executor, plan and prepay your burial and funeral, and tell them exactly what you want. If not its totally in the hands of a probate judge.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
In regards to firearms, would't a gun trust be helpful in this situation?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Having a will is better than not having a will.

I have a pre-paid legal service (I pay a monthly fee) and one of the services (the primary reason I subscribed) is will creation. Fill out a form and the result, once notarized, is a legally binding will.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Who gets the guns is always a fun subject. Both here and after we croak. The situations I've seen aren't generally pretty, with the main beneficiary being the gun store that offers pennies on the dollar. Lots of details and few really know what will happen.

I've spent years now trying to educate my wife as to what I want done. She's spent the same years telling me she'll do as she pleases. More recently Ive given up. I just dumped (a kind term) a dozen of the best K22s I've ever seen on David Carroll to auction on gunbroker.com. It will remove one minor worry from my messy ownings.

My wife's idea was to just let my kids pick and choose. My guess is they'll cherry pick the collection, seriously depleting the value without even knowing what they've done. Then not value the items they have. In some situations guns need to go together. The problem I'm facing is wanting some guns to go to certain people. Its tempting to do as I've just done, sell them. Other guns its tempting to just give them away whilst I'm still here and complaining. Another complication is sons living in other states.

When my own father died, both my brother and I lived in a different state from him. We did the usual, ignore stupid laws. I was only interested in 2 of his guns and through deception and trickery managed to score them both. I just let my brother take the lions share of maybe a dozen and the greater value. Its not always about value, its about memories, too. I know I'm a scoundrel and I don't even still have them. Its too much responsibility for me. I moved them on to my sons. Probably I should do the same with mine.

I'm starting to get the idea I should divide my collection into two groups. User guns and collectors pieces. Selling off the best ones makes sense to maximize the take for my ungrateful spouse, and leaves my favorite shooting guns to let her feel she's doing what she wants.

Just as burdensome will be the gun "accessories", meaning ammo, reloading supplies and other assorted crap like my H H Heiser collection. I've got to figure that out still. It might be a little easier because one son is a reloader and the other just burns powder.

Most of us also collect other things, too. Those need to be sorted out, just not here with gun guys.

I've also seen that people who are the most orderly about their estates often don't need to be for a long time. The people who don't give it a thought seem to be the ones with the biggest messes. One sentiment seems to be "just let the kids fight it out". Never fear, they'll do that, often with a bunch of hard feelings. I'm not sure why (I suspect greed) many feel they should be entitled to everything, or at least the lions share.

Someone said you don't really know a person until you've shared an estate with them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The requirements and issues vary by state and you don't show a location but you said this was a very simple situation.
Based on that, I would get a copy of something like Willmaker software, select the state and fill it out as best you can. They give pretty good instructions and explanations as you go. Tell the person you have selected to be executor where it is located and discuss your desires about anything that may not be in a will.
Have it notarized and keep the copy accessible to the executor, not locked up.
Another point you haven't mentioned and maybe even more important is a living will and healthcare power of attorney if you become unable to make decisions for yourself. These forms and information should also be in Willmaker. Simple fill out the blanks versions are probably available online but I'd spring for the software myself.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listen to JALLEN. Good advice. It is never to early to have one, unless you can predict the future. Wink Many attorneys will also do living wills and durable health care powers of attorney as part of the process.

NOTE: In some states, layers offer free clinics each year for first responders, military, etc. on a Saturday to do all of this (my firm participates in these). Not sure if you are in that category, but worth Googling free wills for first responders or military around your area.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Glad that service is available, but I do not qualify. I just work in a factory.

I guess I have some decisions to make and some paperwork to do. Thank you all for the information.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In most states, if you have no will, your property, net of administrative costs, will be divided according to the statute of that state. An administrator will be named by the court to handle the job and report at various points.

What I always tell people is that everyone has a will. If you don't have your own, the State writes one for you.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you need more extensive advice, I recommend going to nolo.com and see what they have.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post