SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wood choices for smoking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood choices for smoking Login/Join 
posted
The past few weekends have seen me smoking different meats on the Weber Smokey Mountain and I have kinda come to a conclusion with what I like personally.
Apple/Cherry wood - very mild flavor that I can't taste that much. 1st Boston Butt I did was with apple and I couldn't taste it.
Alder - good flavor and just a tad stronger than the fruit wood. Did a Cornish hen with apple, Alder 2nd and preferred Alder.
Pecan - I have it but have yet to use it. I have read that it's good for poultry, fish and pork.
Hickory - used this a lot and I'm growing very fond of this wood. I'm a beef/steak addict and this pairs nicely. Last Boston Butt was done with Hickory and it was excellent.
Mesquite - I like this wood but its strong. Smoked a petite filet with it and it was good but very smokey flavor. Overpowers beef but it's also for lamb. May try it with a boneless lamb leg sometime.
Post Oak - have not tried it but every YouTube BBQ video has someone smoking with this wood especially with brisket. I'm still new to smoking so I'm not going to attempt brisket quite yet. Read that it's a bit milder than Hickory. Maybe in the late Spring I'll try a brisket with post Oak.
This is my preference but I'd love to hear others and possibly experiences with certain woods.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve used plenty of apple with good results. I love some mesquite for brisket. But now I am using a stick burner so I need a steady supply of split seasoned wood. That leaves me with mostly red oak as it’s what is on my land. It is very versatile. Strong enough for beef. Not to overpowering for pork and chicken.

I do have a giant cherry I plan on cutting next year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little mesquite with oak is great for smoking salmon.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been using a big Weber Smokey Mountain for years & I use mostly apple wood for pork butts & ribs. I think it gives the pork a smokey-sweet flavor. There are enough apple trees around here that I'll never run out.

For beef, I like hickory. It gives a nice smokey flavor without being overwhelming, like mesquite sometimes does. Hickory is also easy to find in my area.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have access to an unlimited supply of mesquite, post oak and pecan trees so that's what I use. I am fairly traditional and maybe old fashioned, but pecan and poultry, post oak and brisket, and mesquite and steaks always works well.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beech wood is very good with pork.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is my list of favorites in order along with preferred uses.

1). Apple (Pear use my own wood) - Great for long smokes and pork, but great with any meat.

2). Pecan - Most versatile of all woods, great on any meat, great taste, not overpowering, but very noticeable.

3). Hickory - Good with any meat, but I would use more with Beef or Lamb.

4). Mesquite - Good flavor, but I don't like to smoke with it, too strong. Rather use this for grilling fish or chicken.

I also have had some good results with using whatever bits and pieces I have left over and mixed together.

ETA forgot cherry which goes right up there with the Apple/Pear.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom has a pear tree. I never understood why our neighbor would trim the branches and top off...
Then we tasted his pork and salmon!
Wink

That was some goooood stuff!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I burn firewood all winter, but I always set aside some good pieces for smoking purposes. Cherry and apple are my favorites, but I also use hickory.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
A little mesquite with oak is great for smoking salmon.

I've caught and smoked a ton of salmon over the years and I have to disagree with this choice. I tried them all at one time or another and settled on alderwood or apple as the preferred choices. Mesquite is a pretty harsh choice for fish in my opinion. For grilling salmon, use a cedar plank. Yum.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a turkey breast on hickory for Thanksgiving, it turned out fantastic. I've tried apple with pork shoulder, but I thought the mesquite turned out better.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
  • Alder - I quit doing cedar planked salmon and instead do alder smoked salmon.
  • Apple - quit using it. A little bitter and I prefer cherry.
  • Cherry wood - delicious with poultry. Did ribs with it once and it was good but not great like hickory.
  • Hickory - this is my go to smoking wood for beef and pork. It's also good with poultry.
  • Mesquite - I was first introduced to Texas BBQ in West Texas so mesquite is all I knew. Then I moved eastward and was introduced to hickory. I've never bough mesquite since trying hickory.
  • Peach - I've heard good things about peach, but never tried.
  • Pecan - Never used it. It's at the store, but I always purchase something else.
  • Post Oak - my lump charcoal is made from post oak. I've never purchased post oak chunks because it'd be redundant. Post oak lump charcoal is delicious on its own and also pairs well with hickory or cherry chunks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mark60
    posted Hide Post
    Pork butt and ribs I always use hickory and sometimes mix it with oak.

Chicken I like apple and usually toss in a little oak or pecan. Chicken doesn't smoke long and readily takes what's there so hickory is strong for my tastes on chicken.

Bacon I use apple and hickory.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Pecan is my go-to favorite, especially for any kind of pork. I use a decent amount of apple as well, mostly on chicken. I have avoided mesquite because everyone says it's too strong.

I should give hickory a try though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wingfoot
    posted Hide Post
    I use a combination of hickory and apple with pork.

Pecan with poultry.

Oak with beef.

Careful with hickory and mesquite it can overpower, especially poultry.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use alder for salmon or albacore tuna, overall it is a good choice. I do soak the chips overnight in water, this helps the chips last longer and not burn.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Pecan for poultry and pork, hickory and oak for beef

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    Where do you guys get your wood? I can buy bags of chunks of almost any wood. I can buy apple from orchards but it’s not cheap. I’m happy with my oak but I’m curious where people buy their wood if they aren’t cutting it. I’m guessing most people only use a small amount for flavor? Since I use all wood I need a lot.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Itchy was taken
    Picture of scratchy
    posted Hide Post
    I generally use mesquite for poultry (turkey and duck) and hickory for beef. I am playing with fruitwoods but I don't really like any of the results yet.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I use:
    Beef
    Mesquite
    Hickory
    Oak
    Chicken
    Same as beef but less qty
    Fish
    Apple
    Pecan
    Pork
    Apple
    Pecan
    Hickory

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post