SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A car thief, a 9-yr old boy w/pellet gun meet at a store...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A car thief, a 9-yr old boy w/pellet gun meet at a store... Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Both cars were left unattended with engines running and unlocked making them the vehicles a thief going to target.

Driver 1, Driver 2, thief....all idiots. The only brains in that story were parked between the ears of the kid.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Both cars were left unattended with engines running and unlocked making them the vehicles a thief going to target.

Driver 1, Driver 2, thief....all idiots. The only brains in that story were parked between the ears of the kid.

Yup. Kid wasn't a victim, neither was Dad. No reason AT ALL to pursue danger with the child. Beyond fucking stupid, however gallant anyone might think it. It's rare that I disagree with the monkey, but I've got my own little boy and couldn't imagine saddling him up to ride along and chase down danger that he already rode off all by himself.

Weren't any victims that day, sure. Coulda been a dead father and son, though, and that, after the threat was passed.

Perspective and all that. I'm more than happy to let a grandpa off and hash some bad guy's shit, and for the very reasons a grandpa would be happy to. Much as the monkey explained it. But a father taking his son along for the ride? That, I can't condone.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about "gallantry", I am talking about putting the blame for crime on the criminal.

I did state that many valid arguments can be made for the actions of the two men.

My point is to jettison this victim mentality and the idea that the world is safe because we do things a certain way.

Shit is gonna happen to people, some are in places where it is more likely, and others live in less troublesome places.

But as time moves forward and the trash of the earth spits out nasty fruit of the womb faster than rabbits, we damned well better get used to Joe Bag of Donuts and/or his kids facing these people down.

And I have two daughters, both are small in stature, but will dispatch a threat in a New York minute.

And the one with three of my grandchildren are raising them the same way.

The dealing with the "bad", is not ours to leave to others. To sit back and wait or expect another to deal with threats is not something I believe is proper, but then, I am not looking for anyone's permission or approval about such things.

Only offering to clarify my POV.

They are kind and loving and are able to do what needs be done and walk away.

I and my "former", had some disagreements in the years of upbringing as she did not think they should be exposed to such things.

But she has since come to realize, that although the loss of innocence was a lamentable thing, the reality of the world in which we live requires a certain understanding to survive.

It will not get better until it gets much worse, history will prove that correct.

In the end, I take no credit, I simply have observed and learned form history and the many voices of those who did not survive it.

In spite of all of that, I find great happiness and goodness in this life, but I will not ignore the threat, nor cease from pointing it out.

But, I reserve the right to be wrong about everything.

Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post