SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A car thief, a 9-yr old boy w/pellet gun meet at a store...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A car thief, a 9-yr old boy w/pellet gun meet at a store... Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Get this boy a real gun!!!

quote:

9-year-old scares off man from stealing his dad's truck

Published: Dec 26th, 2017 - 4:22pm (EST)
Updated: Dec 26th, 2017 - 7:24pm (EST)

KOKOMO, Ind. (WTHR) - A 9-year-old boy in Kokomo scared a would-be robber away from stealing his dad's truck.

But then that man ended up taking another car and leading them on a high-speed chase before crashing and being arrested.

All of this started at the One Stop Express on the corner of Washington and Jefferson in Kokomo, then ended at the American Tool Rental on South Lafountain Street.

Kevin Cooksey and Kyle Sparling stopped by the One Stop as strangers for different reason, Cooksey needed ibuprofen for his wife and Sparling wanted Doritos. They didn't know they'd end up leaving together and chasing after someone they say tried to steal both their cars.

“When I saw my truck door open, I was like, ‘oh my God, what am I going to tell my wife?’” said Cooksey.

That's because Cooksey's 9 year old son, Larry Larimore, was inside - with the engine running.

“I was thinking, I hope my son knew what to do in that situation,” said Cooksey.

“As soon as he opened the door, I got scared,” said Larimore. “So I pulled out the pellet gun and pointed it to his head.”

That scared the man enough to get him out of the truck, but then he ran into the next car down - Sparling's black Trail Blazer, which also had its engine running.

“I didn't know what to think, I just kind of ran outside and watched him,” said Sparling.

“I wanted to go catch the guy,” said Cooksey. “It's just one of those instincts to help out somebody else.”

Cooksey told Sparling to get in the truck with them. They called the police and chased the suspect down Washington Street.

“Right up here by this church, he got up on the sidewalk over here and got back on the road,” said Cooksey. “At this point, we were doing about 70 miles per hour.”

“It was doing donuts, zig zags, almost flipped,” said Larimore.

“I was just glad he didn't wreck into anybody,” said Sparling. “That was my biggest fear, I think.”

“I thought he was going to come back at me,” said Cooksey. “I thought I was going to have to dodge a moving car with my 9 year old son in the truck.”

After a couple miles, the suspect crashed Sparling’s car. Larimore says he's glad he and his dad were able to help track the suspect down.

https://www.wthr.com/article/9...aling-his-dads-truck

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Lots of dumb asses in this story, wow. Good on the kid but plenty of adult failure to go around.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Except they fought back.

We can argue their actions and methods all day long, and with good reason.

But, in spite of this, they are not victims.

My hope is that such people take the "free chance" and learn all they can to not find themselves in such disadvantage or put themselves in a bad spot on purpose.

I will celebrate and support anyone who pushes back.

It's the scum that dirties the water. That is who I have issue with, and whom I will direct my dissatisfaction.

The only perfect way of dealing in such situation is to be the last man standing.

Everything else is debatable.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
"We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in certain circles, that armed robbery is okay as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene." -- Jeff Cooper

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's because Cooksey's 9 year old son, Larry Larimore, was inside - with the engine running.

Fighting back is good and it's commendable, and of course not offering any excuses for bad behavior on the crooks behalf, however if the gentleman had simply taken his son in with him, and/or locked the doors none of this happens.

Both cars were left unattended with engines running and unlocked making them the vehicles a thief going to target.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
High speed car chases are not a good idea, even when necessary, even when highly trained.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
High speed car chases are not a good idea, even when necessary, even when highly trained.

Particularly with your 9 year old in the car Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The owner of the stolen car was there presumably, description, license plates, witnesses, etc.

Why not let the cops chase the perp down? They have radios, real guns, kings X to speed, etc.

That way, if chance sends a car across an intersection and someone is killed, it won’t be your kid and you won’t be charged with vehicular manslaughter or worse.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years back an off-duty Chicago Cop was driving with his young daughter, and when accosted by armed miscreants (a Jeff Cooper term) at a stop light, shot and killed them. He and his daughter were uninjured, of course.

Local media blasted the cop for killing the BG's in his daughter's presence. One local radio show, two liberal white women, got pretty intense about it, saying the cop had scarred his daughter badly. A caller asked how the daughter would feel if she had watched her father get murdered, they hung up on him, it went downhill from there.

The point is, they all fought back -- the kid, the father, the other guy. None of them stood by and claimed victimhood.

As it should be.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The only one that acted responsibly in the whole story is the nine year old.

The two "adults" left their vehicles running, unlocked, then took it upon themselves to engage in a high-speed chase--with the nine year old boy aboard.

Those "men" are idiots.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody familiar with Kokomo?

I left my car running twice in the last hour: once at the Post Office, next at the Mobil station where I picked up a local paper. The air temperature is about 4 above zero, most likely near what it was in Kokomo when this incident happened.

Around here, it's common practice. I suppose my car could have been stolen, but according to the local cops that has never happened in this town. That's why I'm asking about Kokomo.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[pearltug]
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Oh, dear.

He could have put somebody's eye out.

----------------> Wink

[/pearltug]

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
The air temperature is about 4 above zero, most likely near what it was in Kokomo when this incident happened.

Assuming the engine is already warmed up and operating normally, letting the engine idle for a few minutes vs. turning it off/on would produce negligible benefits.

Turn off the engine, lock the vehicle, go in and shop and then reverse the process.

The adults failed in this scenario. Had they caused a serious accident or death, many here would be calling them stupid and blaming them.

I'm not one to be a victim, but I try my best to putting myself in a situation where I'm almost guaranteed to become a victim.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
The air temperature is about 4 above zero, most likely near what it was in Kokomo when this incident happened.

Assuming the engine is already warmed up and operating normally, letting the engine idle for a few minutes vs. turning it off/on would produce negligible benefits.

Turn off the engine, lock the vehicle, go in and shop and then reverse the process.

The adults failed in this scenario. Had they caused a serious accident or death, many here would be calling them stupid and blaming them.

I'm not one to be a victim, but I try my best to putting myself in a situation where I'm almost guaranteed to become a victim.

I'm not trying to be a tool, so please accept this in the joshing sense that I offer it, but there is a certain humor in a guy from Sacramento advising a guy living on an iceberg on how to handle the cold. Cool

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The two "adults" left their vehicles running, unlocked, then took it upon themselves to engage in a high-speed chase--with the nine year old boy aboard.

Those "men" are idiots.

I agree.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

I'm not trying to be a tool, so please accept this in the joshing sense that I offer it, but there is a certain humor in a guy from Sacramento advising a guy living on an iceberg on how to handle the cold. Cool

Hah! I didn't notice that! My car never reached normal operating temperature today, even running over 20 minutes, and with the heater off.

And no-matter what mistakes they made, not being tactical and all, THEY FOUGHT BACK!!!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't understand anybody leaving their car unlocked with the engine running. Perhaps it's just me, but I almost always lock up everything. It may be a trained fear, the fear that the Drill Sergeant would find my locker unsecured, that has led me to always locking everything.

The only time I occasionally leave my vehicle unlocked is when the dogs are inside. Those bitches get really pissed when someone besides me gets in the truck.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

I'm a cold weather expert! It was 35F here in the Sacto area this morning and I ran in shorts and long sleeve! Wink It's one of the reason why I put of with the whacky liberals in CA.

My point was turning the engine off/on wouldn't have had much impact on keeping his inside of his vehicle warm.

Aaaannnnnnyyyyyyyywaaaaaaaayyyy.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have an extra key hanging in the plow rig. If I am running into a store quickly I leave it running but lock it up. Best of both worlds.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Get this boy a real gun!!!

[QUOTE]
Sparling wanted Doritos....

“I didn't know what to think, I just kind of ran outside and watched him....” said Sparling.

Cooksey told Sparling to get in the truck with them.

---------------------------------------------

To which Sparling replied "Far OUT, man..."

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post