SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some forum expertise re- Gaming keyboard and mouse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some forum expertise re- Gaming keyboard and mouse Login/Join 
posted
I need some suggestions from the collective wisdom here.
My nephew wants a gaming keyboard and mouse for his birthday. He will be 12. Any suggestions from those of you who are into gaming?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 504 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You should get his opinion on what he's looking for because there are such a wide variety of gaming peripherals that it would be hard for any of us to make a recommendation, especially not knowing what kinds of games he plays.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge gamer but this is the keyboard I have. I really like it. (I think it's the same one as they have several very similar models that look exactly the same.)
Razor Black Widow

This is the mouse I went w/. Turns out 2 of my nephews bought the same one.
Logitech G502

Both are corded. If either of them broke, I would by them over again.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My 17-year old son is the gamer in our family.

When he was younger, we bought Razer keyboards and mouses. But now, he has a job and buys his own gear. He still likes Razer or Steelseries for the mouse, and Corsair keyboards. Amazon has a good selection.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! These are super helpful suggestions!

Posts: 504 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I am using a Logitech 502 as well. It travels with me and is fantastic. The keyboard is just the one on the laptop.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Corsair K70 RGB or K100 RGB. I've been a Logitech guy for keyboards since the G15 (even going to such lengths as to purchase a keyboard intended for the Italian market when I broke the first one), but my G710+ just disappointed.

Logitech mice, on the other hand... Wonderful. I've been using their gaming mice for years. I'd go with either the G502 Proteus Core or the G602 wireless mouse. I like both, but the G602 is the only one I've got multiples of for different computers.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Corsair K70 (or current model) with the mx Red keys for the keyboard. Logitech "G Pro" gaming mouse. Nice small mouse with everything a gamer needs and none of the goofiness (502 was terrible to me, i have one sitting in drawer barely used. The lip on the left side under the thumb is a terrible design) But I'd have him hold as many as you can find and see which ones feel better in the hand.

Warning: Mechanical keyboards are loud. If he games in the same room as you do other things - it may drive you nuts at first.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Keyboards are not really a gamers tool anymore.

The keypads which are like 20-30 buttons and fully programmablef along side a gaming mouse and any basic keyboard will out perform a key/mouse.

The closest thing I've seen to that is the asus keyboard/mouse which the entire numpad for the keyboard detaches and is fully programmable and can attach to either side of the keyboard. The cost is astronomic though.

I have it with the mouse, and still went and bought the logitec keypad. Just more ergonomic.

Admittedly I tend to game semi serious so maybe for the average gamer being able to program 30x5 keys isn't a requirement.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
All I can offer is that my 16 year old, who is a serious gamer, insists on a hardwired mouse and keyboard rather than Bluetooth.

He says the reaction times are faster.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
Keyboards are not really a gamers tool anymore.

The keypads which are like 20-30 buttons and fully programmablef along side a gaming mouse and any basic keyboard will out perform a key/mouse.

The closest thing I've seen to that is the asus keyboard/mouse which the entire numpad for the keyboard detaches and is fully programmable and can attach to either side of the keyboard. The cost is astronomic though.

I have it with the mouse, and still went and bought the logitec keypad. Just more ergonomic.

Admittedly I tend to game semi serious so maybe for the average gamer being able to program 30x5 keys isn't a requirement.

I know a lot of pc gamers, don't know anyone that uses those type of keypads. Even the big time streamers don't use those, they mostly prefer simple keyboards with specific mechanical keys.

--------------------

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I have a Logitech G910 keyboard and a G5 mouse. Really happy with both, especially the mouse.

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I run a K70 and a G502. I love them both.

Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Optical

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Here's probably the best bang for the buck in the mouse dept. (Especially for a 12 year old)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/l...9700.p?skuId=5799700

Logitech - G203 Prodigy

--------------------

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm what most would consider a moderate/ casual gamer these days but my Logitech G810 is a fantastic keyboard for gaming and everything else. I tried at least 10-12 different keyboards on display last year and even returned a couple I ordered or bought at Best Buy (Razor, Corsair, etc.) but none could measure up to the G810 I have now. You may still be able to find the G810 (careful they may be refurbished), but as for what is more currently available new, either a G512 Carbon / G610 for a non-wrist rest style keyboard (I prefer them without) or a G513 / G910 if you want "all the bells and whistles".

Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse or one of their fancier ones work well for all gaming from FPS to strategy. Also, I don't recommend a wireless keyboard or mouse for gaming given the need for batteries and the potential for input lag.

I used to be a fan of Razor mice for feel and function, but after having had three of their mice that did not last prematurely, both the click buttons and the scroll wheel, I won't be buying any more for the foreseeable future.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post