SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like cilantro ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like cilantro ? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Yes but only on Mexican food.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Not sure what it tastes like to me I just do not like the taste.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I like it even though it tastes like soap.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I like it even though it tastes like soap.

Could it be you developed that taste in your childhood? Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I like it.
Never heard of it described as soap before. Lawn clippings yes.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Love it. Cool
I've even seeped it into vodka for Bloody Marys.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Love it. But my wife is one of the ones with the "cilantro = soap" gene, so I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like. Luckily, she doesn't like salsa, guacamole, or posole, so I could load those down with cilantro when I make them, since it's just for me.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I can take it in small amounts, but I'm not really a fan.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yes it tastes a little like soap.

And Yes, I like it . It was an acquired taste that took several tastings. A good garnish for Tex-Mex stuff.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
It's soap to me.
Takes an otherwise great dish like Pho and makes it into an ordeal.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Love it, but you can overdo it. It tastes metallic to me.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate it, to me it seriously tastes like soap.

Posts: 423 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Simply stated, "NO!"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Didn’t vote. Doesn’t taste like soap. Used to hate it, and will not add it to things, but have gotten to the point where a bit in some salsas actually adds something. I’ll still never be the guy using tongs to add it to my tacos, but I don’t loathe it anymore. This is a fairly recent thing, and I don’t know what changed.

I’d be don’t really care for it, but it is no longer highly offensive.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ugh. No. Not only does it taste like soap, I cant stand the consistency when you chew it. It reminds me of when you were a kid and got chalk powder in your mouth at the blackboard. Chalky.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The soap taste is a perfect description for me.
I have read that how it tastes to different people is a genetic thing.
I love it, my youngest brother hates it (says it tastes like soap).

Funny same here and my younger brother.

Surprising number of posters with Hispanic half siblings.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“The main sign of a supertaster is an dislike of certain foods. Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters.”

www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmo...u-one-of-5671331/amp

Supertasters usually dislike brussels sprouts too.

I may have gotten it wrong, but when I researched a bit a few years ago, I thought the supertasters liked cilantro.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t mind the taste.

My biggest issue with cilantro is that I struggle to grow it. Every time I’ve tried it grows ok for a few weeks then bolts and goes to seed.

Stickman, I grow it in spring and fall and this year I'm attempting to grow it indoors in a small hydro system.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Isn’t the poll the same as asking if you like parsley?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Guess we know who swore as children Smile

My mom has the soap gene; I’m somewhat indifferent. I’d like a little in my Mexican food, but im ok skipping it if it’s a shared meal and someone has an issue.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post