SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like cilantro ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like cilantro ? Login/Join 
posted
I hate it.I found an article that describes it exactly for me.It explain the taste to a T and that is SOAP. Either my tastes have changed or they have started putting it in a lot of things that didn't used to have it as part of the recipe.

Question:
How do you feel about cilantro.

Choices:
Hate it.
Love it.
Doesnt matter.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I can take it or leave it. A little goes a long way.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The soap taste is a perfect description for me.
I have read that how it tastes to different people is a genetic thing. I wonder if that prevalence varies somewhat with ethnicity which is why it’s more popular with people of Hispanic heritage.

What has surprised me is the attitude I’ve encountered from some people that those who don’t like cilantro in food are just being prissy, like not wanting one’s steak served in a pool of blood. I find that to be a perfect example of how narrow-minded some people are: “It doesn’t taste that way to me; you must be imagining it.”
For me, though, the flavor of cilantro is very distinctive, very strong, and very objectionable.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I love it, especially in salsa, but I can understand why some people do not.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have read that how it tastes to different people is a genetic thing.
I love it, my youngest brother hates it (says it tastes like soap).

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
LOVE it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have read that how it tastes to different people is a genetic thing.
I love it, my youngest brother hates it (says it tastes like soap).

Funny same here and my younger brother.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2672 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep trying to like it but just don't.Kind of like an IPA.I would rather chew on a grapefruit rind that drink one Razz

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
JEB'S SALSA "ORIGINAL RECIPE"

One can S & W Mexican Recipe Stewed Tomatoes (Sliced with mild chili & Mexican Seasonings)
Small can 4oz green chiles, peeled and diced
handful scallions, chopped
white wine vinegar
Cilantro - Coriandrum sativum
parsley
salt
pepper
oregano
lime

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I love it, I sometimes use it as a lettuce substitute in sandwiches. Yumm

The wife doesn't like it in Pho, but does otherwise. I wish I could find a place that serves you Mint leaves as well with it.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind the taste.

My biggest issue with cilantro is that I struggle to grow it. Every time I’ve tried it grows ok for a few weeks then bolts and goes to seed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The main sign of a supertaster is an dislike of certain foods. Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters.”

www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmo...u-one-of-5671331/amp

Supertasters usually dislike brussels sprouts too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can take or leave it. If I do put it on something (and then only on Mexican food), it is in small amounts as a flavor enhancer. It doesn't taste like soap.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Supertasters usually dislike brussels sprouts too.

Interesting.
I don’t like Brussel sprouts either, but I would have never considered myself to be a “supertaster.” I certainly cannot taste all those things wine reviewers claim to detect: “Notes of blueberry and chocolate with a hint of Jamaican coffee.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's genetic in whether or not it tastes like soap to you.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I love it. For me it adds a really fresh flavor to salsa and such. It does go a long way and is easy to use too much. But the soap thing, yeah genetic as far as everything I've read.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Love it. Even is just suggested for a recipe, I'll put a lot of it in it. Pico de gallo, guacamole, Thai food, Vietnamese, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Small amount is ok but for the most part dislike. Love Brussel Sprouts though.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Soap? Confused

I don't really enjoy it but if it's not in salsa I know something is missing.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Soap is an accurate description.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post