SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our beautiful Summer is winding down..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our beautiful Summer is winding down.. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wear body armor at work. I also wear glasses, and I work nights. Can't run the AC in the car or the windows fog up, or worse, my glasses fog over the instant I step out. Even if nighttime temps drop from 95 to 80, with the humidity being what it is, I still sit there and sweat. I can't wait for fall/winter.

I will miss my garden, being able to fish every day, and having to deal with all the animals' water freezing every few hours. We were pretty lucky this year...weonly had a week or so of really hot weather... otherwise it stayed mostly in the 80s.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
Not me. I don't even live in an area most of you would call hot and even I can't wait for it to be over. It's been a very humid summer so far and I hate it. I work outside also, so that makes it worse.

Bring on the winter. Even working outside, my favorite word day is 20 degrees with no wind. Blissful.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We still have plenty of summer here in Houston. It will be the mid to high 90s today. It won't cool down much for at least a month, if not six weeks.

I prefer that to brutal cold, but at about this time every year, I get tired of the extreme heat.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I will certainly not miss summer one bit. Bring on the cold.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
You going to miss the Summer ?

I already did miss it. In mid-June I tripped over some Legos my grandkids left out and tore up my knee and my ankle. I could not walk for 30 days (till mid-July) and even in the four weeks since then, my mobility has been significantly limited.

Apart from sitting on my porch, I didn't do anything this summer. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to fall, winter and spring, summer in central FL has been hotter than normal, still, better than a winter needing a snowblower to get an area for your dog can get out to pee.... Big Grin

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We still have a lot of summer yet to go. It usually gets really nice around Halloween, and then is paradise until mid-June. It will be 105F today, and that is pretty decent compared to 112-116F that we had in June!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Good God, no. With every fiber of my being, I hate and loathe hot weather.

Mosquities, heat, humidity, high utility bills. If my furnace breaks when it's 25 degrees utside, I have a fireplace and a gas stove and can heat my house. I can also put on warm clothing.
If my air conditioner fails when it's 95 degrees and 65% humidity, I'm fucked all the way.

Screw the summertime .

Amen to that. The ONLY good thing about summer is the change in women's wardrobes. Come on, winter!

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
As I mentioned earlier, we put up with smoke in late summer and I'm looking forward to fall. This is what we put up with most years any more.

Jim

Not quite that bad here on the left side of the state, but it is noticeable. I'm actually looking forward to the rain again.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can attest to members from Washington State since we’ve had a beautiful summer in BC, but the smoke from all the forest fires has made it difficult in the last week or so. Jimbo54 and his picture pretty much sums up the air quality where I live, and that’s right beside the ocean.

Posts: 25 | Location: As far from Trudeau as possible | Registered: July 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
We moved out of town late last summer and up to a house near a lake with a private boat launch and it’s been nice.
Relaxing out back, barbecuing and eating outside, cruising the lake.
But I like all the seasons pretty much so it’s fine going into fall.
And like others have said I could sure live without all the smoke, the last couple days is the worst I’ve seen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomgun,

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

I already did miss it. In mid-June I tripped over some Legos my grandkids left out and tore up my knee and my ankle. I could not walk for 30 days (till mid-July) and even in the four weeks since then, my mobility has been significantly limited.

Apart from sitting on my porch, I didn't do anything this summer. Frown
My condolences on your being laid up. I'm sure it was upsetting.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slept with the windows open last night for the 1st time in a month.

I sleep about 40% better with the fresh air blowing about.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
I can't stand cold weather, but some of that has to do with my past job of working an outside job in it for years. That is what made me loathe cold weather. When you've been out working in the bad & cold weather all day, it seems impossible to get warm after you get home. I'd be chilled to the bone. Now I work an inside job & I feel like I have PTSD flashbacks of the cold & I even worked on the days the roads were closed due to the weather.
So while I enjoy a slight break from the heat, like today I had a jacket on early this morning, it was a beautiful day, I know it means the brutal weather is soon to come. I do not want it to & the only thing that gets me out in it, is the fact that my dog is a Nordic breed & loves it.

I dislike cold weather also, although my Siberians don't agree with me. I hate the short days, going inside at 5 pm at dark, and all the accompanying problems with keeping water unfrozen for my dogs, I miss the late evenings at sunset doing stuff outside. About the only godsend to winter is the absence of ticks and bugs, but they don't dissappear until November nowdays
I am going through my second case of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever this summer, I picked it up back in July.
Also , going on trips, I hate driving back home in the dark.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
Good riddens to Summer. I despise the heat. Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like all the seasons and along with a few health issues and being out of a real job, I am grateful for the warmth of the sun. Seen many a fine automobile this Summer. People out doing things. Heck, its just been a good Summer.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like all the seasons and along with a few health issues and being out of a real job, I am grateful for the warmth of the sun. Seen many a fine automobile this Summer. People out doing things. Heck, its just been a good Summer.

And that, is a fine way to look at summer!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have lived all my life in the hot south. Now we can spend our summers in the high Sierra, and I don't miss the heat. But this has been the hottest, smokiest summer I can remember. The heat and smoke have subsided, only to be replaced by hordes of over-aged hippies from California and other like-minded new-agers. It's Burning Man week: stay away from Reno. On an aside, the Paiute Indian tribe police is stopping the traveling Burners and searching for drugs.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post