SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tips or tricks for trimming a dogs nails? (he is not too fond of the idea)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips or tricks for trimming a dogs nails? (he is not too fond of the idea) Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Dremels are great but can be loud and frightening.
Lots of foot handling. All the time. Every time I take one of my dogs out (he’s super fussy) that dog gets a once over by me- I check his teeth, I run my hands down his body, and pick up each one of his feet. I only clip one nail on any given day and jackpot a reward (eg an entire hot dog, not just a piece) and I make sure I don’t hit the nail quick. It’s a slow process but you don’t lose the dog’s faith and you’re training it at the same time. I also would not bring it to any old groomer- my sisters German shorthair got ruined that way. The dog was a complete disaster about it’s feet after that visit.

I don’t know your dog but you’ve got a damn smart breed - it’ll understand the trade off really quickly if you’re absolutely consistent and firm. No wishywashyness at all. Chew him out verbally if he misbehaves, reward in your happiest voice while he’s behaving. By the way, Imho I do not recommend manhandling this particular type of dog- I believe he’ll outfox you at best and at worst, mistrust you.

You simply have to convince him it’s in his best interest and you can do that with food if he’s food motivated. Otherwise, praise, shame, etc. This breed typically wants to impress you and wants to be your partner. Good luck!

ETA: how long have you had this pup? Also, whatever special treat you use, make it SPECIAL. I’m talking steak, or whatever the dog really loves- and that’s the only time the dog gets that particular type of treat. It’s the super special nails only treat.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
CAUTION when using a Dremel. Can cause heat on the nail from the high speed.

Just a general rule when using any abrasives at high-speed. The coarseness of the grit (lower number ie 60 vs 120 grit) means the less heat/contact with the material. This is a golden principal when grinding with abrassives.

You learn this quickly when using tools like a belt grinder. I generally work with steel. However I could imagine working with softer materials you might have tear-out issues? (I’ve ground plastics and wood as well and the rule about grit coarseness seems to hold true.) You feel the heat in steel right quick.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My two are brothers, a pit bull / bull mastiff mix. The older, bigger one grudgingly allows me to trim his nails. The younger one I have to take to the vet. I hold him still while the vet tech does the clipping. He doesn't bite, he's just too strong and slippery for me to hold on to and trim at the same time.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Most of the pros use a cordless Dremel with a sanding disk.

I use a groomer.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Dremel. Been using it since ours was 12 weeks old.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by irreverent:
Dremels are great but can be loud and frightening.
Lots of foot handling. All the time. Every time I take one of my dogs out (he’s super fussy) that dog gets a once over by me- I check his teeth, I run my hands down his body, and pick up each one of his feet. I only clip one nail on any given day and jackpot a reward [QUOTE]

This.
When you get a puppy or a new dog spend time touching their feet. If the only time a dog gets its feet touched is to clip the nails, there will be problems.
The other thing is self talk. Start thinking of cutting nails and problems with the dog’s behavior don’t be surprised if you have problems.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I pay my vet 3-4 times a year to do it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I do have a cordless dremel and all kinds of sanding attachments. He is about 1.5 years old, we have had him about 6 months. The quick is pretty easy to see in his nails. I've kept his nails in check by 2 15 minute walks on pavement a day.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We give ours, a 125 lb. GSG, a popsicle. He loves popsicles. No problem cutting nails as long as he has a popsicle. I feed it to him and the wife cuts his nails. It's a no-go without the treat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 251 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I do have a cordless dremel and all kinds of sanding attachments. He is about 1.5 years old, we have had him about 6 months. The quick is pretty easy to see in his nails. I've kept his nails in check by 2 15 minute walks on pavement a day.

He’s a baby! But undoubtedly quick to establish rules if you let him Wink

Run the dremel by him and see how he reacts. It definitely can get hot if you hold it more than a few seconds on his nail but it’ll take the tip off fast. The real question is whether it’s you holding the feet that upsets him or the tool you use.
It’s too much hassle for me to take the dremel out and set it up, esp when I’ve got the clippers in a drawer in the kitchen, but I’m an old school vet tech. Certainly have used the dremel, but mainly on my parrots, not the pups. There’s a saying that I’m sure many use across many industries, and my old jrt was no exception: when it came to handling, “less is more”.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, Dremel and lots of treats. Both of our dogs get treats when one gets trimmed, standing by the pantry in anticipation as the other is trimmed.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
It might be best to have pro cut a problem dog's nails.

Most independent pet stores offer this service. We do and charge $6.00.

We encourage people that come into our store with puppies to spend time handling their feet to get them use to it

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Here is my wife's take on toe nail trimming:

Toe nail trimming, both sides of the story........

What I say happened

I got out the trimmers and the dogs all acted like it was the end of their lives. Some were resigned to it, others screamed in pain before I even touched their feet. All survived unhurt.

What the dogs say happened

She came at us with a chain saw. Those of us not paralyzed with fear tried to avoid having our paws cut off by running away and/or crying out. There was an ambulance and a helicopter standing by to transport injured dogs to the hospital to get paw transplants. It was horrible. After we returned from the intensive care unit, we got treats.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have always trimmed my dogs nails. Get a good trimmer, go slow and stay out of the quick.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Best to start whwn theyre young. Had a chihuahua had to use peanut butter and do one a day. Start there and move to a treat or thier food and cut one nail everyday. After it becomes routine theyll be more willing.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post