SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I stopped drinking for 30 days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I stopped drinking for 30 days Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
And my cholesterol went down just a skosh.

Cholesterol: 349 down to 214
LDL: 226 down to 144
Triglicerides: 327 down to 136 (!!)

I'm not on medication of any form and I didn't change my diet. I just stopped drinking alcohol (formerly drank a lot).

Pretty incredible to see these numbers. The doctor basically said I need to shut alcohol down, and I did. And it's been a great experience thus far.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Sheesh! Really no diet changes? Was it drinking bacon grease you gave up?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Did you lose weight also?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
So, how does that work? Does dropping the alcohol allow your liver to do the things it should instead of breaking down the alcohol??

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, CNE, Also lost 10 pounds. I'm now 6' 2" 190lbs.

The doctor said my triglicerides should drop with no alcohol, and they plummeted. Everything else dropped too. I'm not sure how this all works, though, Mark. What you said makes sense though.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Congrats of the results of a much healthier life style.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I'm curious
What was the form of alcohol?
Beer, wine, whisky?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
Very impressive!

I'm currently in the thick of a 3 month planned dry out. Dry till July!

Hoping to get rid of some pesky abdominal fat and pack on some summer muscle. It's amazing what even a couple nights a month can do. I think it's good to periodically assess the impact alcohol may be having on ones health.

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Makes sense if you were a heavy drinker. Processing a lot of alcohol taxes just about all of your internal organs making them less efficient at working on the bad things we tend to eat. Plus there are a lot of calories with all alcohol types, and they are what is considered empty calories. That is, they add to your calorie count, but give little benefit like extra energy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I'm curious
What was the form of alcohol?
Beer, wine, whisky?

Light beer and light beer only.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Your liver is thanking you Smile

Nice work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Your liver is thanking you Smile

Nice work.

Bruce

Indeed! The liver panels all came back perfect too. Although they weren't that high to begin with (but they were above normal).

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULAIIONS! Cool

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Makes me wish I drank, so I could quit. Wink

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current bout with A-fib has me quitting also, easy choice to keep my health!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago I just lost the desire to drink - aside from a glass of wine with an appropriate meal or a scotch with a visiting friend, I don't drink anymore.

I could stand to lose 15 lbs but even so, my Cholesterol and all other blood work is great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Everything in moderation. I avoid meds more than I avoid alcohol. I rarely even take a aspirin. I get through all the little aches a pains of being over 60 without reaching for a pill. I hydrate and then hydrate more. Over a gallon of water a day. I drink on weekends only and never during the week. It's not a concerted effort it's just the way it is. I feel great and most people guess me to be 10 years younger than I am. Most people don't appreciate the benefits of drinking a good amount of water on a daily basis over a period of time.
I always tell people that water lets me know I'm not a alcoholic. If I find myself without a bottle of water within reach I look for a solution. No alcohol no problem.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I gave up alcohol once. It was the worst two hours of my life! Big Grin

Seriously, congrats on your stats. You have inspired me to take a look at doing the same.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! I went to nutritionist a few years back...very informative.

What I leanred was --- I thought triglycerides came from fat but they come form eating too many carbs and calories. If you dont burn off the carbs when they are in your bloodstream (about an hour after you eat) your liver turns them into triglycerides (some is stored in your liver as glycogen but once that is full...) that are depoisited into fat cells but also contributes to high levels that circulate in the blood potentially causing longer term problems like atherosclerosis and heart disease.

quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Makes sense if you were a heavy drinker. Processing a lot of alcohol taxes just about all of your internal organs making them less efficient at working on the bad things we tend to eat. Plus there are a lot of calories with all alcohol types, and they are what is considered empty calories. That is, they add to your calorie count, but give little benefit like extra energy.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post