SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on home sale financing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on home sale financing Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
A neighbor woman is selling her house. It is nearly 40 years old. Was not built to current code requirements, old fixtures, etc etc.

She is asking $560K for the place. Has 2 bathrooms that badly need renovation.

She has a potential buyer, but the buyer wants her to pay for the updates/renovation.

Estimated cost for that work is $40K.

Seller has offered the buyer the following "deal".

Finance the sale for the full $560K, and seller will pay the buyer $40K to pay for the renovations.

I suggested that she should just reduce the price by $40K, but that would not give the buyer the cash to pay for the renovations.

Seems a little "questionable" to me, but then I find such manipulations a little shady.

Thoughts?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Typical in older home sale/purchases.

It is up to the lender to approve, but the value of the loan, if secured by the property, then it is "just numbers".

The bank sells a higher mortgage (better return), buyer gets the renovation money, and seller gets paid the full amount they wanted.

The seller woud otherwise lose 40k of their asking, and the buyer would have to come up with the cash or take a second mortgage to finance the reno. The bank "loses" the income from the interest.

But she should not pay for the renovations herself.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Typical in older home sale/purchases.

It is up to the lender to approove, but the value of the loan, if secured by the property, then it is "just numbers".

The bank sells a higher mortgage (better return), buyer gets the renovation money, and seller gets paid the full amount they wanted.

The seller woud otherwise lose 40k of their asking, and the buyer would have to come up with the cash or take a second mortgage to finance the reno. The bank "loses" the income from the interest.

Yep and the kicker is what the house appraises for when the potential lenders send this to their underwriters. If it appraises for that much then it would work.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's a manipulation. But it is strange to me that the seller would offer such a deal if her home really was worth her asking price. If it was, it wouldn't be just this one buyer looking at the place.

If it really is worth 40k less than asking, my question is will it actually appraise for the asking price. If it doesn't, the bank isn't going to loan the buyer that much money I don't think.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
The problem is the parties really never disclose to the bank the loan back on the repairs.

The best option would be For the buyer to do a loan that allows renovation draws.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
A neighbor woman is selling her house. It is nearly 40 years old. Was not built to current code requirements, old fixtures, etc etc.

She is asking $560K for the place. Has 2 bathrooms that badly need renovation.

She has a potential buyer, but the buyer wants her to pay for the updates/renovation.

Estimated cost for that work is $40K.

Seller has offered the buyer the following "deal".

Finance the sale for the full $560K, and seller will pay the buyer $40K to pay for the renovations.

I suggested that she should just reduce the price by $40K, but that would not give the buyer the cash to pay for the renovations.

Seems a little "questionable" to me, but then I find such manipulations a little shady.

Thoughts?

Is this suggesting that the seller is carrying the note back? For 100 percent of the sale price? I don't imagine any bank is going to allow that much leverage. If my interpretation of the above is correct, I would not do a deal like that. Sounds like a cash poor buyer and could end up in a foreclosure.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Head's I win, tails you lose!

The buyer has no skin in this game.

Maybe the way to do this is to do the fix ups, bring to code, then figure out what it is worth and sell to a real buyer.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Until the bank gives the buyer the loan he's requesting just to have the seller take the money and run. Sounds like a lot of skin to me.

Lenders allow seller concessions (IIRC up to 6% of the sale price) so the buyer can cover closing costs, minor repairs, etc. When the funds are wired in at closing, the closing attorney will pay everyone what is due to them right there at the closing table. Any "side arrangements" typically won't be handled by the closing attorney because they don't want any part of the liability that comes along with what was supposed to happen.

I know of a situation where something similar happened and after the higher loan amount was wired and funds distributed the seller instructed their attorney (not the closing attorney) to cancel the wire to the buyer for renovations. Sure the buyer took them to court with a signed agreement and all but no one wants to deal with that for months, perhaps years while the home is in a state of disrepair.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Until the bank gives the buyer the loan he's requesting just to have the seller take the money and run. Sounds like a lot of skin to me.

Lenders allow seller concessions (IIRC up to 6% of the sale price) so the buyer can cover closing costs, minor repairs, etc. When the funds are wired in at closing, the closing attorney will pay everyone what is due to them right there at the closing table. Any "side arrangements" typically won't be handled by the closing attorney because they don't want any part of the liability that comes along with what was supposed to happen.

I know of a situation where something similar happened and after the higher loan amount was wired and funds distributed the seller instructed their attorney (not the closing attorney) to cancel the wire to the buyer for renovations. Sure the buyer took them to court with a signed agreement and all but no one wants to deal with that for months, perhaps years while the home is in a state of disrepair.

What bank? Where does it say bank?

It says:

quote:

That suggests seller financing, seller carry back.

I don't see that the buyer is paying one cent in this deal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sell it to the buyer in the present condition and with a price to reflect that condition.
Financed by a third party, not the seller.
Appraisal for the lender will reflect the present condition.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post