SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Desktop computer for home use?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desktop computer for home use? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Time to upgrade the home computer. Right now have an older iMac desktop, but wondering if there isn't a better/more cost effective Windows machine for our intended uses. Mainly just browsing the web for the wife, maybe playing a few YouTube videos or some online games for the kids (7 & 3 y/o). If we go Windows on the desktop I'll probably end up with a Mac laptop as I'm too heavily invested in the Apple world, wife doesn't care either way.

Thoughts?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Personally I despise Apple but respect the individual decision.
You must have some other reason you may want/need a MS desktop as I am sure Apple can web browse, play games and YouTube too.
Otherwise why diversify?
Just curious.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Figure if all it’s used for is some light browsing why spend $800 for a desktop that a $350 would satisfy.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Build one yourself. $350 gets you a decent computer.
It's easier than ever to build your own.
The hardest part is finding parts that aren't geared toward gaming, i.e. getting a windowless box and a motherboard that doesn't light up like a Christmas tree.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Figure if all it’s used for is some light browsing why spend $800 for a desktop that a $350 would satisfy.

$350 won't get you anything current and maybe nothing new but if you don't need performance then perhaps it could work ~ the devil is in the details.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Time to upgrade the home computer. Right now have an older iMac desktop, but wondering if there isn't a better/more cost effective Windows machine for our intended uses. Mainly just browsing the web for the wife, maybe playing a few YouTube videos or some online games for the kids (7 & 3 y/o). If we go Windows on the desktop I'll probably end up with a Mac laptop as I'm too heavily invested in the Apple world, wife doesn't care either way.

Thoughts?

What CPU is in the iMac?

Otherwise - literally any computer you come across is going to be fine for surfing the web and watching youtube.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Build one yourself. $350 gets you a decent computer.

Example of your BOM, please.
I's like to see a GOOD aka decent computer built for $350.

posted Hide Post
for the last 3-4 years i've bought 2, small form factor, dell optiplex units thru local craigslist.

win7 3 years ago (3.1 quad core-8 gig ram) & the most recent, win10 (3.4 quad core, 10 gig ram).

$150 each from the same vendor.

i'll never buy a new one again.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different systems. I am happy with my Ipad and Iphone, but recently bought a desktop upon reccomendations from this forum. It is for small business use and of course has to use Windows. Having previously used Windows XP it takes some getting used to. I would go with whatever system you know.

I would consider exactly what your needs are and plan accordingly. Many kids these days are introduced to Apple in their schools.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
No specific brand recommendation, but when I last replaced my desktop (Dell Optiplex), I went fanless and that is my recommendation. Mine is very small and uses so little power, I leave it on all the time. It has a 250GB SSD. Doesn't make a sound. Intel i5 with 16GB of RAM. Had it a couple of years now and think it was about $500 when I bought it but it came with a conventional hard-drive and 4gbit RAM which I upgraded. Will last me a very long time for light browsing and just as quiet as this picture ...

EDIT: I run Linux Mint and this is a Mint Box. How hot does it get? ... ambient temp in the house right now is 77F and I just checked disk temp and find it's 44C / 111F. Just fine.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of Dells, refurbs, free shipping w/one year warranty through the reseller:

Dell Optiplex 3020 Tower Intel Core i5-4570 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win10 Pro, $300
https://shop.pcmag.com/product...ed?utm_source=tbsite

Dell Optiplex 3010 Business Desktop Intel Core i5-3470 8GB RAM 240GB SSD Win10 Pro, $260
https://shop.pcmag.com/product...riant=12798793875479

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you want something out of the box, check dealnews.com or techbargins.com for specials. I would stay clear of HP and I'm a fan of Dell computers. Don't be afraid of refurbished.

I build my own. It's cheaper, fast and fun.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/778cHB

My sample size of Ryzen 3's is only 2 but so far they haven't given me any problems and they include the Wraith cooler.

Yes, I'd rather have a Samsung SSD. I have seen a few failures in cheaper SSDs.

Haven't had issues with 8GB of 2666 DDR4 for Win10.

Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards have been pretty solid.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

What CPU is in the iMac?
iMacs typically come with a 6-core i5 and top out at a 8-core i9, the MacPro can be bought with a 28-core Xeon W.

WRT the OP's initial question, much of the cost of an iMac is in the Retina display. If you are willing to "settle" for a less spectacular monitor, e.g. a 27" 4K, you can significantly lower your cost.

AS to minimizing the cost, a MacMini should give you more bang for the buck than an iMac at little loss of perceived performance. I use both a iMac 27" and a MacMini every day and see little-to-no difference in their performance for typical desktop operations.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

What CPU is in the iMac?
iMacs typically come with a 6-core i5 and top out at a 8-core i9, the MacPro can be bought with a 28-core Xeon W.

Smile if he has any of those CPU's he has zero reason to be upgrading (unless it died completely). I know what SOME iMac's have, I'm wondering what HIS has if it's not broken.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
It’s a 2010 iMac with 3.2 Intel Core i3 processor, 4 GB DDR3.

Complacency sucks…

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
you can spend $300 and on paper get the functionality you require. If it's a budget thing, look to that price point. Me, I almost always overspend on such things. I recently purchased a Dell XPS13 Laptop. Great LT, but in the scheme of things way more power than what I've been using it for. But at the time I could afford it and and it's just seems to be in my DNA to go for better than I need.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post